Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maddoxx343

New goldfish water treatment

what conditioners/salts/trace elements should i use for my new goldfish water? i shouldnt have any chlorine and my pH is about 7.6-7.8. thanks guys im lookin forward to giving this goldfish a good home.

Sounds like good water to me. Use it as is.

I would highly recommend Seachem Prime as the only water treatment you will ever need :)

You do not need to add any salt or anything else to your tank (salt should only be used as a medication for goldies).

What you may want to look into is the gh/kh of your water (the general hardness and carbonate hardness). API makes a drop test kit for both of these that you can buy, otherwise you may be able to get this info from your water company (although if you are on a well I am not totally sure if the water company keeps info on those).

The gh/kh of your water is the mineral content/buffering capacity. You need a gh/kh between 100-200 in order to maintain a stable Ph which is very important for goldfish. If you found out you had low gh/kh then you would need to buffer your water.

However, my guess is your water is probably fine in this area, as I think most well water is generally 'hard' but it still might be worthwhile to look into just to be sure :)

And if you do need a water conditioner, Seachem Prime is an excellent one as Alistair recommended above :)

Edited by tithra

I am buying the hardness kit from API and my suspicion is that it is fine because my pH does not stray from 7.6 all week. But i would like to have definitive results.

I am also getting the seachem prime since it could be useful for future handling/stress.

I have aquarium salt just in case too

Thanks for the quick replies :)