Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NewBeginnings

I'm New To Fish-Keeping And I Have A Few Questions. I have a 120l tank and have a few questions about setting it etc....

Hello smile.gif!

I'm rearing to go with my new aquarium but i don't want to let the excitement get the best of me, especially in making important fish keeping decisions- so I thought I would ask advice from people who know what they are talking about. I have also consulted reputable information websites on the topics ( not able to find books in my area at the moment but still on the lookout) and pet shop/ aquarium shop staff but i have a few more questions and some that seem to have confusing or varying answers.

I call on the knowledge and experience of the forum, people who have kept Orandas or know a significant amount about them. ( I have read many websites )

I have a 120l Jewel Tank and I was hoping to keep Orandas. My Questions are :

1. How any Orandas could/should i keep in this size aquarium ( i have found many confusing and conflicting viewpoints on this topic)

2. How quickly will they grow if they are small (from a pet/aquarium store)

3. what is the best way to vary their diet? (More specific Food pyramid type question)

4. What plants should I have in the aquarium if any? and if any how many?

5. Can you tell what gender they are if they are not adults yet?

6. When is their breeding season in Australia?( because I live in a different place to where most of the information i have)

7. Do they prefer/seem to like to be in community tanks or not and if so what fish are recommended?

Thank you so much for your assistance, support and contribution! <3

PS. My tank is exactly like this : 120l Jewel Tank

Hello & :welcome

I'm glad you decided to join us, and I'm certain you will get many helpful suggestions!

Hello and welcome to the forum. People here are really good about answering questions.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I can answer your questions, but not all of them.

1. How many fish - in a 120l tank ideally you should keep not more than 4 orandas - not less than 30l of water per fish. I am saying ideally, because you should plan your tank size according to maximum size of a grown fish you want to keep. Now, 4 orandas in a 120 l tank when they're small, make the tank seem empty, so when fish are small, you may accommodate a few more - maybe 6 or 7. Note that long-bodied varieties need more space as they are more or less pond species, so more water is better, while short bodied fish may do with less water as they're clumsy.

2. How fast will they grow - it really depends, but there are generally 3 factors that determine growth - food, space, water temperature. In reference to the reply above - 4 orandas should grow faster in 120l than 7, and should grow larger as well. Small fish usually should be fed 2 times a day, while grown ones should be fed only once, and 1 day in the week they should not be fed. Higher temperature also stimulates growth - there are some pet stores that stimulate growth keeping young fish in higher temperature and feeding them more than 2 times per day, and the fish grows faster, but the downside of this is that fish becomes less resistant to changes, disease, etc.

3. How to vary diet - I do not know. I feed my fish with various brands of food, and I randomly select which one to give. I do not make home made gel food, but you can check the recipes section - there's plenty of info there.

4. Plants - usually plants with hard leaves, as goldies tend to eat most of the plants with soft thin leaves. Different kinds of Anubias, Cryptocorine are good for gold fish, as they don't eat them.

5. No, gender can be told only when fish are mature. Male fish have white spots on their gills and this is the easiest way to distinguish.

6. Breeding season in Australia - cannot tell, but in general, as far as I know breeders simulate breeding season in the following manner - they keep males from females separate, and keep water temperature around or below 18 deg. Celsius for a month. After a month, they merge both and start raising temperature slowly to 22-23 degrees.

7 Community tanks - in general goldies are friendly, but they are large fish - if kept with small ones they might abuse them, when kept with aggresive ones - they will be abused. Goldies prefer bottom and middle part of the aquarium, although they often swim to the surface. I have a two Ancistrus fish and they get along well with goldies, but in general people do not recommend mixing goldies with other fish.

Good luck with the hobby!

Hi and welcome!

It's so exciting starting a new tank! I'm very happy to see you're doing your research, Kokos is an excellent place for advice. <3

Here's my answers to your questions, though I'm sure someone more experienced could be more help :)

1. How any Orandas could/should i keep in this size aquarium ( i have found many confusing and conflicting viewpoints on this topic)

Rhyan's suggested 4. However, unless you plan to spend a lot of time doing huge waterchanges, I'd stick with 2, 3 at most. I have 2 oranda in my 120L and they're much happier since I removed the third fish. My guys are mid-sized (about 8cm excluding tail) at the moment, but the tank is big enough for plenty more growing.

120L is around 30 gallons, and around here they generally say 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 gallons for each following.

2. How quickly will they grow if they are small (from a pet/aquarium store)

My guys quadrupled in size in the space of a year, but they were from a breeder and have never been confined to a small tank. My telescope from the petstore has only doubled in size in the last year and a half, despite being on the same diet.

3. what is the best way to vary their diet? (More specific Food pyramid type question)

Weeell, I don't know in a food pyramid sort of way. But my guys get fancy brand (like Hikari) pellets one meal a day, and for the other meal they get either frozen bloodworms, gel food, omega one pellets, spinach or peas.

4. What plants should I have in the aquarium if any? and if any how many?

There's a few threads around listing the sort of plants that goldfish don't destroy. It's personal preference as to how many. :) In my tanks I have anubias, java fern and a grasslike plant called cyperus (the fish like to nibble on this one)

6. When is their breeding season in Australia?( because I live in a different place to where most of the information i have)

Here in NZ they generally breed in a pond situation from say october-march (someone correct me if I'm really off here). Definitely in the spring/summer. Though in a tank situation the temparature will probably be different to outside.

7. Do they prefer/seem to like to be in community tanks or not and if so what fish are recommended?

Do you mean mixing with other types of fish, like tropicals, or other goldies? I wouldn't mix any other fish with goldies personally. Mainly because my guys are so huge that they would probably manage to eat, or at least kill anything else. Also there's the danger that the other fish will atack the goldies.

As for other goldies, I'm not sure. They do get quite attached to each other after sharing a tank for a while, so I'm sure they must enjoy the company, but they often go off and do their own thing instead of sticking together.

Welcome! Most of it has been answered but I feel I should add- don't trust pet shop/ aquarium shop staff! Mostly they are untrained and don't know anything about goldfish and are employed by managers who just want to make money and will advocate overcrowding so that you buy more fish, more food, then create more problems and go back to them to buy expensive, often useless treatments. You do get the odd one who really cares and knows their stuff but unfortunately it's not common!

WOW :D thank you all so much your warm welcome, advice and support is amazing and helps a lot !!

Edited by NewBeginnings

Welcome to the forum! You've already gotten excellent advice.

120 L is about 30 gallons. I would really recommend no more than 2 fish in this size tank, and even then you will eventually need to upgrade as your fish reach adult size (which may be 8-10 inches).

I agree with tithra- rhyan's suggestion of four would only work on a temporary basis. Two would be perfect.

Once my tank is cycled I will most probably get 2 :) thank you . I might get a larger tank down the track when I can save up the funds and accumulate the experience and knowledge required for a larger tank ( as i would love to one day keep a group of maybe 4/5 adults as they are so social and i have heard they like to be with others but also have the room to grow and live etc..even get the first 2 and then keep them with 2/3 more in a larger tank in a few years. I think its nice to have a goal to work to or an idea of a goal/ dream. But 2 sounds perfect for now and the next few years :) . I hope I help them thrive and am able to keep them happy :)

Definately a maximum of 2. Yes they will look tiny but they will grow very quickly. Any more than 2 and you are leaving yourself open to all kinds of problems. If you are planning on using the filter that comes built into the tank I would suggest adding an additional internal filter as the juwel filters are designed for tropical fish. Eheim power line internal filters are very good. If you want to add a HOB or canister filter you would have to modify the lid as it is built onto the tank :)

welcome to Koko's :clapping:

I would go with 2 also, I would pick out 2 beautiful ones, I have 2 in a 29, (1 gallon away from 30) and right now it does look kinda empty, but when grown the goldies will fill it out nicely.. :D

Edited by Sharkbait3

:hi

and

:welcome

Welcome! You've gotten some great advice so far.

I have something to add about the plants,if it hasn't been said already. Somebody earlier said that goldies leave anubias alone,when in reality, it all depends on the fish. Mine seem to leave the anubias alone for the most part, but I have some leaves that have been nibbled on quite a bit.