Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Benni is still not doing well, euth? :(

It gives me hope that yours ate eventually. I just worry that I am going to come home to find him dead from starving to death :( . Here he is trying to eat some bloodworms, it looks like he kept it down, but later in the video he spits it back out.

OK, I would like to modify what I wrote earlier :)

I don't think you should consider euthanasia at this point yet. Other than the fact that he's not able to keep down food, he looks pretty good, at least in the video. Here's what I would like for you to do.

1. Do a 100% WC, and bring salt back up to 0.3% (in increments of 0.1%). Leave off Prazi for now. We'll get back to it once this is resolved.

2. Do 100% WCs twice a day, or at least once a day.

3. Continue to try with FBWs, and try to locate some liquid food.

4. Keep patience and hope for the best of possible outcomes. I related my story, so that you know that this can happen. It's also happened to others on this forum. :)

OK I will do that, I'm glad there is a chance he will pull through! I will put an update out if things get worse or better.

I don't think you should consider euthanasia either! Compared to most fish we see photos of on here, he looks really well! Bloodworms and mushed up peas will keep him going until he can eat properly again after the salt and prazi have done their job. Goldfish can go an impressively long time without food at all so if he's even eating a small amount of these soft things, it's a good sign he'll recover.

Good luck with the rest of his recovery :)

Thank you for the good thoughts! He is still pretty much doing the same thing. He is a little more active I think from all the water changes, but still having difficulty eating at all.

Hang in there. This does take a long time.

Is he able to open his mouth at all? For example, if you hold him vertically and lift his head straight out of the water, does he open his mouth? This is an instinctive response.

Ya he can open his mouth, he goes up to the top to try and eat bubbles sometimes :P. Poor guy really wants to eat.

That's a really good sign. I was in the same position with one of my new ranchus a couple of weeks ago. He really wants food, but couldn't eat it. He's totally fine and a pig now lol. Just go with small amounts of chopped frozen blood worm if you have to :)

What amount of salt is he in now?

.3% I added it in increments of .1% every 12 hours. This salt is killing my budget! I believe I have heard you guys say we can use rock salt used to make ice cream? Is this a lot cheaper? Is it safe? If you know it would be a great help because I am also treating the 55 gallon and the 29 gallon with .1% salt and prazi pro.

It's not rock salt, but Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. You can find it at any grocery store. It's in a blue/green 4 pound box, all for $1.49 :P

If you can't find this, just look for any salt that doesn't contain additives, anti-caking agent, iodine etc.

Definitely don't get aquarium salt from pet shops. It's crazy expensive.

Oh thank you!!!!!!! Yes it is, I have been going broke over that stuff.

Hello again! Benni is EATING!!!!!! :nana I am so happy! He chews a bit but keeps it all down and I know for sure because he is pooping! So, I was wondering, do I start prazi up again? I have kept him at the .3% salt with daily water changes and since he is doing better should I switch back to the old .1% salt with prazi? Of course after lowering the salt with water changes.

LOL. I'm so glad, and relieved, that he is eating again :D

How is his behavior? Unless there are some really bad symptoms, I would like to hold off on the flukes treatment for a few more days, just so that we can make sure he is still eating well, AND to give him time to recover from not having been able to eat well :)

He is being his normal super active self. He used to "dance" around the tank all the time and he is doing that almost regularly again. By dance I mean he wiggles up and down the glass at me trying very hard to be his cutest while begging. I would like to say he is better, but he is still super skinny, which would make sense now because he couldn't eat forever, but he was skinny originally too from the most probable IPs. Even after his treatments are all done I don't think I am going to let him rejoin the group until he catches up with them on weight.

Let's give him up to a week to just eat and be his happy self. We'll re-assess at that time, OK.

Also, I'm going to move this out of 911, since things are going very well! :thumbs:

OK, thanks!

Salt question... I think this is ok, Mrs. Wages Pickling and Canning salt is the only one I could find. The ingredients just say salt.

Yup I think that should be fine :)

this is great news, congratulations on the good progress :)

Hey great job! I'm so glad to hear about his progress :D

Well, this is an old thread so I don't know if you guys will see it, but Benni started having the same problem again, I put him in the QT tank and he died overnight :( RIP Benni

RIP Benni. :(

Oh, I'm so sorry. RIP Benni :(

Thanks for the support everyone :hug