Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Benni is still not doing well, euth? :(

Ok I did the salt dip, the whole 5 min. With the filter... I have a really thick rim on my tank that I can't fit filters over. It really sucks, here is the video I posted earlier on it.

I had the same thing too! I just recently fixed mine though by using my snakes heat lamp, I placed it a few inches away, waited 5-10 mins and it melted the plastic enough for me to cut a strip of plastic off with a sharp knife. Although you might not have a basking lamp to use. Before that only one filter barely fit on.

ok, I'll get that vid in a sec, no I don't I can go to my local Walmart, they are open 24 hrs. On a Sunday in Chico everything closes early :(

I'm having a hard time getting a photo/vid, my camera is a hand-me-down and is not great quality. Here is what I have, I'm not sure if you can really see anything.

http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh545/alliH08/

the second link is to my photobucket album i took a ton of pics trying to get a good one.

Hello, did you start the Prazi treatment?

I am unfortunately on my phone right now and not able to make out much.

Does he look bloated at all to you or does he just have raised scales without fluid retention?

I would pick up some Epsom salt if you can. You will also need metro meds from goldfishconnection.com along with their jumpstart pellets (these are sold together). I know that someone here was also offering these for free (you pay shipping), let me look around and see who that was.

Edit: posted at the same time as Alex :) please wait for confirmation from Alex before getting meds ;)

Edited by tithra

I did start the prazi last night. He went straight from the salt dip to the .1% salt and prazi. I need to get metro meds. I only ordered medigold/jumpstart as a precaution last week and it has not arrived yet. I would have to get MMs.

It's not unusual for fish infested with flukes to be bottom sitting a day or two during the first treatment of Prazi. As long as he rouses to eat etc., let the Prazi do its work :)

OK I will see if he pinecones more by the morning since I can't order any MMs till tomorrow anyway. And it looks like it is only by his tail that the scales stick out a bit more. He is so skinny I cannot tell If he is bloated or not.

He seems to be doing better. He is swimming around again and the tail pine-coning is gone. He is however, having very long whitish pink poops. He is also getting air at the surface more often than usual, but he doesn't look like he is going to die on me for now.

The long thin poop is likely to be stress poop, and it seems like the fluke treatment is doing its thing :)

The tank is salt, right? To what percent?

Make sure you do a big WC 4 days after WC, then another big WC 1-3 days after, and begin another round of Prazi. We need at least 4 rounds.

still at 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon, so .1%, with prazi-pro.

:thumbs:

Just making sure :D

:D question though... I did a 50% water change today and kept the levels the same 1 tsp per gal and prazi. I took out 50% and then added in 50% and made sure not to double dose. The reason is because he is in my 5.5 gal away from everyone and I don't want the water quality to creep up into bad numbers. Is this okay?

The water changing is fine, but on day 4 after the initial treatment you will need to do as close to 100% WC As possible to get rid of all Prazipro, and then give him a couple of days rest from treatment before beginning again.

The reason for this is that the presence of active praziquantel will inhibit progression of the resistant stages of flukes to the sensitive stage.

It's OK to treat just him, but with flukes and ich, the entire tank will need to be treated.

I am treating the whole 55 gal tank, sorry I didn't make that clear. I just put him in the QT 5.5 gal because he was being outcompeted for food due to his lethargy and I wanted to make sure no one picks on him while he doesn't feel good (they haven't picked on him now or before, but I used to have guppies and if anyone didn't look good they picked on them).

Gotcha! As long as you are treating everyone, that is perfect! :)

Bullying/attacking a sick tank mate can happen with goldfish as well. The precautions you are taking to prevent this, as well as ensuring you have excellent water quality, are to be commended. Both measures are extremely important to promote the well-being of all, by reducing stress, exposure to toxins, and bullying. :)

Thanks! :D I appreciate all the help too!

Well, he is looking better, not so lethargic, but he is still not really eating his foods. He swims up to it really fast, chews it a couple times, spits it out, and never eats it. I have been having to remove all of the food I give him later in the day to keep the water quality from going bad because he is not eating anything. He is interested in food, but won't eat. -I have a barebottom tank so I don't think he ate a rock or anything like that.

The spitting out food is indicative of mouth and gill irritations, which happens when there are flukes. What I've done in the past is to give him foods that are easier to go down, like frozen blood worms. The irritations will heal hopefully in a few days.

Could you take a look at the gills and see how they are, including taking note of the color. Do the same with his mouth. See if there are any sores or redness inside.

Ok, poor guy. Is there a video or pic of how to properly hold a goldfish? and how to check gills? I am worried I might hurt him because he is so small.

In the meantime, I gave him some bloodworms and he was able to eat those, he is having trouble with the pellets.

So, I posted about a week ago about my poor fish being lethargic and such, he has only gotten worse now and hasn't been physically able to eat. I will answer the questions above in a few minutes. My boyfriend, who loves the goldies also feels that the humane thing to do would be to put him down because he has been starving :cry . I'll have those numbers and info up soon.

ahardeay, I'm going to merge this thread with the one you posted previously, just so that we have all the relevant info in all the thread. Go ahead and post the parameters please, and give us a recap of what has been/is being done. My recollection, and going over the info supplied, is that you were in the midst of re-treating with Prazipro + 0.1% salt. He was spitting out food, so there was a suggestion to move to something easier and more pallatable, frozen bloodworms. You had indicated that he was eating that, and that was the last we heard.

Also, you also indicated that there was some scale raising. I think we had ask for pics or a video of this, as well as ordering Metro-Meds.

He is in a 5.5 gallon QT.

I think I have everything. Did I miss anything? Could you go ahead and fill us in on what has happened since? Thanks.

I'm sorry he is still not well. :(

Yes you got it, he has been unable to eat the bloodworms now as well, I feel so bad for him, he has the will to eat and swims up to it quick, puts it in his mouth, chews a couple times and spits it all out. This happens on repeat without him being able to get anything down. He is still in the 5.5 with .1% salt and prazi, he had the 1 day break on the 5th from the prazi and was back on it on the 6th. The scale rising is completely gone, maybe it was some sort of stress from the salt dip he had? If he is not trying to eat he is extremely lethargic as if he is sleeping all day.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate close to 0

Ph 7.6

Edited by ahardeay

I can totally relate to the fish being unable to eat. I have a new fish in QT who was doing the exact same thing after the flukes treatment. While this does not happen in 100% of the case, it's a pretty good confirmation of flukes. What I did was to finish out the Prazi course, then raise the salt to 0.3%, doing WCs every day or every other day (95%). He eventually ate, and is now able to eat pellets. So, with this, there isn't much we can do other than be patient.

There is something you can do, which is to try to pick up some liquid food, and try to feed him with that. It is a very slow healing process, unfortunately :(

As for deciding to euthanize or not, that's something that you and your bf must decide. I understand the decision is not an easy one, and whatever you choose to do, I am respect your choice.

Is it possible to upload a video of him?