Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Benni is still not doing well, euth? :(

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level super close to 0 maybe .5 the test drops only give me 0 and then 5.0 for options and it is almost solid yellow just a teense of orange
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 68-70 farenheit
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gal 2 1/2 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 for 40-70 gal, a sponge filter
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2x a week one 25% and then one 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Thursday 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 small
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tap water conditioner API
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x a day hikari purple, bloodworms, or peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? not for a while, the one here is the newest and I've had him for almost a month. He was in a quarantine for a week, now I know better.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi pro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Week 1 he was in quarantine in a 5.5 gal, with salt slowly raised to 3 tsp per gal. Then I realized i never quarantined any of my fish and they were all a little off, probably because the 55 tank was cycling back then. So I decided to do QT together...probably not a good idea I know better now. so I took all plants out of the 55 and slowly raised the salt there too. then when levels were the same I moved him in. It was salted for a week and then I did water changes over a few days until no more salt. Then I did a round of prazipro on everyone. That finished after 7 days. I did a 50% water change and put carbon back in the filter. Then later that week I rearranged the tank, there is a video of it done posted. Well when I rearranged it I did not know that my dragon decor had filled up with grossness. When I lifted it everything fell out into the water. It was really dirty. I changed about 75% of the water to clean it up and changed the dragon so as to prevent this from happening again. His bubbler used to sit in his mouth, but I pulled it all the way down to the bottom so that there is now a current through the whole thing. Hopefully that fixes it. So because he is skinny I thought maybe IPs so I have prazipro in the tank again for 1 day and nothing has changed so I don't think that is what it is. Nobody else is acting this way. I would put him in QT but that tank is cycling now because I had cleaned it up, I decided now just t have it ready for whenever I need it.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? not that I noticed
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? yes, lethargic (almost like he is always sleeping), chews his food a lot, spits back out then chews again, very slow eating, for about 4 days :(

Here are 2 videos one is far away so you can see the behavior better and the second is close up so you can see fins and whatnot.

You do know that you are overstocked,and probably under filtered,right?Sorry,I'm not familiar w/ any of your other posts.How big is the sponge filter?Even if you were properly stocked-4 would be ideal in a 55g-you are still under filtered.......

I am aware of that, yes. I don't see what that has to do with my fish acting this way, as my water params are good. All of my fish are very small. I am looking into getting a canister filter and a 29 gal tank to split them up. I came into this a newbie and am trying to fix my ways. I don't want to get rid of any fish either.

Understandable! I got here the exact same way. I am not familiar w/ PraziPro-I use Aqua Prazi-for 2 weeks-on ALL incoming fish.I don't know about the PP,but w/ Ap(which I believe is stronger)1 day of treatment would not do anything. As a rule-and I have found this to be absolutely true-gf do not do well in crowded conditions-there are other things present that there are no tests for. Do you have any kind of container you can move this guy to(10g preferably)?It does not have to be cycled-you can just do 2x/day w/c.

I only have a 5.5 gal that i was trying to cycle, it has a 10g filter on it though. I made a post earlier on it because I am trying to cycle it. I will post the link to that in a sec.

Before you even consider putting him on any medicated foods, you should really rule out external parasites. The way you've treated with Prazipro isn't quite ideal, and it may part of the issue here. Prazi should be treated for 4-6 rounds, not 1 and then another one later.

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Perform a 3% salt dip. That's 10 TABLESPOONS per gallon. After the salt has been dissolved and the temp matched and pH matched to that of the tank, transfer the fish into the dip. The fish can remain in there for a maximum of 5 minutes. However, if before the 5 minutes are up, he starts to tilt to the side and cannot get back up, remove him and place him back in fresh water. Note the amount of time he was able to stay in the dip. This dip's purpose is to strip the slime coat, and whatever is stuck on it and consequently exposing the layer underneath for treatment. The dip will also be antimicrobial.

2. Retreat with Prazipro and 0.1% salt. You need to do 4-6 rounds. Each round should be 5-7 days in duration, with one WC at least between each round of treatment.

Good luck :)

Does anyone else see mild buoyancy issues with the solid orange oranda (or am I imagining things)? When it stops, it seems to float down, head first.

Alex, just out of curiosity, do you the salt dip before every round of Prazi or just the first time around?

Alex, just out of curiosity, do you the salt dip before every round of Prazi or just the first time around?

Only once.

To be honest, in the normal course of QT and when I am doing Prazi, I don't do a salt dip. I just go with the regular salt level and Prazi. It's when the fish are not doing well or seem off, I will do a salt dip to give him a boost.

Oh, okay. I was just wondering because i know i'll be doing this sometime (hopefully) soon. :clapping: Thanks!

Edited by GoldfishGraycee

Anytime. It definitely is helpful to do a salt dip for sure, but is not a required step :)

Anytime. It definitely is helpful to do a salt dip for sure, but is not a required step :)

And good to know just in case. :thumb:

I hope your little guy feels better soon, ahardeay! :heart

I hope your fish feels better soon. We will often bring it up even when young fish are in an overstocked and underfiltered tank because even if your test kits are showing okay, there are lots of things in the water that can't be tested for. And water/space issues are often the root of problems.

ok :cry poor guy, so do the salt dip, afterward do .1% salt and prazipro. I am getting a 29 gal friday to put in my bedroom and split them up a bit. I will need tips on cycling that later. And about the prazi, I did what the bottle said, but what I have been finding from this forum is that isn't usually the way you guys find it effective. I'll post later.

ok :cry poor guy, so do the salt dip, afterward do .1% salt and prazipro. I am getting a 29 gal friday to put in my bedroom and split them up a bit. I will need tips on cycling that later. And about the prazi, I did what the bottle said, but what I have been finding from this forum is that isn't usually the way you guys find it effective. I'll post later.

Are you using Prazipro? If so, the directions on the bottle are what we use as well, except that we treat with 4-6 rounds.

As for cycling, you will never need to cycle again, now that you already have a cycled tank :)

Which filter(s) are you planning for the 29? Do you have them already? If so, hook them up, load them up with DIY media (see my link in the sig if you need), run them along your existing filters for two weeks, and voila! Fish and filter are ready to move into the 29 with a cycled filter :P

Ok I did the salt dip, the whole 5 min. With the filter... I have a really thick rim on my tank that I can't fit filters over. It really sucks, here is the video I posted earlier on it.

Woohoo! How is he doing after the dip? Young fish are so hardy, it's just awe-inspiring! :)

I wonder if a canister would work better for your tank situation. That's super impressive that the tank is in such great condition after 21+ years!

Doing the dip was nerve racking! I was thinking don't die! he seems to have perked up a bit and is moving around a little more. but when he stops he bottom sits a little and then gets up and around again. What should I look for next? Is there any signs I need to look for if this treatment isn't working?

Ya I'm looking into getting a canister soon too. Do you know of one that would be good for a 55 and not too expensive? Some I saw were $400 and I can't do that.

Go ahead and start Prazi treatment any time you are ready, after a water change, of course :)

If you order online, they are not nearly as expensive. Look at the Eheim Ecco Pro lines, and the Fluvals. You want to aim for something that will give you at least 5x the tank volume in terms of gph.

Just wanted to stop in and wish your fish a quick recovery! You have gotten excellent advice already :) I am glad to see you are getting another tank to split up the fish a bit, that's awesome! :clapping: You should take a look at canisters on amazon, they typically have the best prices I have seen. Also keep an eye out on your local craigslist, sometimes equipment like that pops up there.

OK thanks! :D I found the tank I'm getting on Craigslist $50 for 29 gal with stand, hood, light, filter, and other things. I'm so excited!

Hi, Dnalex could you possible move over the info from my post last night so I don't have to go through filling out all of the info again? My little guys looks worse, I had a full work day today and was unable to monitor him. It looks like he is now just bottom sitting and his scales near his tail are pine coning. :(

I am going to merge this with your other thread and move the whole thing to the 911 section.

Sorry your little guy is not well! :(

Can you please post pics/video that include a top view of your fish so that we can see where the pineconing is occurring?

Do you have epsom salts on hand?

What about metro meds?