Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shukura

Finally! Ranchu!

I've been severely obsessed with ranchu for a while now but sadly in NZ they are a very very rare thing. Decent oranda are hard enough to find, but there's one breeder in the North Island who has good ones. All of mine come from him. But anyway, one day a couple of months back I was looking at his listings and I realised one of them was A RANCHU. I just about died. While the fish itself wasn't that great, the mother was very cute. The bidding went way out of my price range, but the breeder has been listing new ranchu babies every week since and I've been watching and waiting.

SO TODAY was auction closing day, and I intended to bid on one of the auctions for a singe fish, but the price on them quickly went too high while an auction for 4 babies stayed low.

And I won it!! It'll be just under NZ$70 for 4 ranchu, which is a super bargain.

Here's the auction link, please excuse his english:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=471262621

And the auction pics;

215258632_full.jpg

215258657_full.jpg

215258691_full.jpg

215258717_full.jpg

In the auction he mentions that their tails aren't that great, and it's hard to tell from the pics, but we'll see when they get here :D I intend to to keep one (possibly the one facing the camera in the above photo?) and sell the others to my favourite LFS where I know they'll be looked after and only sold to the best of homes.

And here's mum;

215252132_full.jpg

More photos will be uploaded when they arrive!

:Congrats:

This is very exciting! :D

Edited by dnalex

Aww big congrat's to you.

They look lovely :)

They're only like 4-5 months old, lots and lots of growing to do :DD

Yay I'm happy for you. Can't wait for more pictures. :)

I had been looking for a ranchu for forever, I had the space for one more. Then I saw my little clearance Lionhead Leon, and I had to have him. SO unless I find a good deal on another larger tank I won't be getting one. I am jealous.

How exciting!! Congrats :D That 3rd picture is so cute... what are they looking at?

Yay I'm happy for you. Can't wait for more pictures. :)

Not quite that gorgeous sakura ranchu on the GC auctions, but still! I can't wait for them to get here! Though if it's anything like last time, they won't get here til after next weekend O:

I had been looking for a ranchu for forever, I had the space for one more. Then I saw my little clearance Lionhead Leon, and I had to have him. SO unless I find a good deal on another larger tank I won't be getting one. I am jealous.

I only have space for one fish too! So I have until they're finished in QT to find homes for the others, but they can live in storage boxes for a while I suppose. I wish I could afford my 100gal tank and could keep them all forever. :goldfish: The water changes are going to be SO much fun, hah.

Also I looove the fishie in your avatar!

How exciting!! Congrats :D That 3rd picture is so cute... what are they looking at?

Thanks!! I have no idea O: Maybe the exit???

Awww, congratulations!

They are adorable! I'm not sure how you will pick one. Pick two!! ;):clapping:

congrats!!! I can't wait to see pics when you get them :)

How can you sell any of them, they are so adorable! I love the whole thing with four little calico ranchus together, that all look very similar.

Maybe you should now be looking for another tank, so you can keep them! I mean, how often do you get such a steal, and four very pretty little guys? :D :D

Congratulations! :bounce

Congrats! I like the clear scales on them, that's one of my favorite types of goldfish.

Thanks... Unfortunately that fish has went thru 2 color changes. Right now he is dark brown with an orange spot on his Wen. I guess it isn't unfortunate, I just really wanted a red and black, and everytime I get one they lose their black. I have 2 now that were tri colored and now they are orange/white with black moustaches. lol

Congrats on the new babies :) I wouldn't be able to part either lol

How can you sell any of them, they are so adorable! I love the whole thing with four little calico ranchus together, that all look very similar.

Maybe you should now be looking for another tank, so you can keep them! I mean, how often do you get such a steal, and four very pretty little guys? :D :D

Not very often at all :D

I already have found another tank but it's $500 and I can't afford it D: , plus I'd need a decent stand and that would cost lots too... and I don't have a job (or for that matter, the space for a larger tank without reorganising my entire room). Working on it! The big tank's top of the list for things to buy when I get one.

Thanks... Unfortunately that fish has went thru 2 color changes. Right now he is dark brown with an orange spot on his Wen. I guess it isn't unfortunate, I just really wanted a red and black, and everytime I get one they lose their black. I have 2 now that were tri colored and now they are orange/white with black moustaches. lol

Awww ): One day you'll find one!

congratulations! they're so beautiful :)

Set up the QT for the ranchu today!!! So excited :D

The tubs are 110L and there'll be 2 fish in each :)

DSC08277.jpg

DSC08280.jpg

The light looks really unstable but I assure you it's not going anywhere.

The left tank has an Eheim pickup 2012 and I have a cheap HOB filter on the way which'll go in there too, and the right one has my AC110. :) Both have a fine bubbled airstone and a heater, because we're heading into winter now and room temp in that room is reaaaaally cold..

Can someone tell me if Eheim heaters are fully submersible? I got all three of mine secondhand and without instructions... 2 are the older green versions rather than the blue ones.

Edited by Shukura

I love your QT set up, actually. I'm sure they will be very useful as breeder tubs and later on fry tubs :D

Great QT setup!

I know the most current Eheim Jager heaters are fully submersible. I cannot say for certain if their older versions are or not :)

nice set up.. the heaters should actually say "fully submersable" or something like that near where the brand name is on the unit.. i am sure mine say the same. alternatively, you can google the model number which should be on the units also. google should have the information :)

Awesome thanks! I'll do that :D

Omg omg they're heeeere. I have to go pick them up from mums work, BE BACK IN AN HOUR! Hopefully I have enough time to take photos before I have to go babysit O:

Oh gosh they're SO CUTE. The auction pics just do not do them justice. And SO TINY.

Sadly I have to leave in like 10min so I can't have a proper look at them yet, but here they are in their box;

boxedchu.jpg

And floating :D

floatingchu.jpg

They're going to have a rushed bag floating session coz I don't want to leave them in icky water for another 3 or 4 hours. Then when I get home I'll get photos~ Soooo exciting YAY!

Edited by Shukura