Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bluefish

Everyone is getting sick/weird :S

Hi dnalex, sorry for the late reply (busy weekend). Everyone's been pretty much the same. The burn marks on the one fish have all cleared up now. No change in the QT'd goldie- it seems a bit more active though. Otherwise everyone is eating and swimming fine..I will keep an eye on the floaty fish- but so far so good on this batch of gel food. Just curious if stunted fish can tend to be skinnier?- because they eat but don't put on weight.

Sounds good. I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well, and that the gel is working OK :)

If they are not gaining weight despite eating, it's entirely possible that the fish has some intestinal parasites :(

Sigh...they're back to swimming funny again: earlier today caught skinny fish spending periods hovering head down and the goldie with lympho was spending quite a bit of time in the corner. Only thing different is I did a water change yesterday..will check and post water params tomorrow.

Hi again, there was a long delay in updates since everyone ended up ok again the next day. They're still on the same gel food. Still frustrated with the skinnyness, but at least it doesn't seem the new food is a problem..I was thinking though, ph is 7.2 out of tap and usually ends up 7.8 by the end of the week. I usually do 50% water changes weekly..so could that ph difference during water changes possibly be causing weird behavior? Or is is still something bacterial/parasitic? Just trying to think of possibilities for the mid-water head standing that happens sometimes..

(I just did a 50% water change tonight.. tank pH was 7.4 so hopefully they will still be ok tomorrow)

Goldie in QT is still the same..will probably keep him in there for the month. Is it safe to return him to the main tank if there is still no change after that?

On another note, my goldie with lymphocystis is having real balance issues tonight- the lump has gotten bigger again over the past week. She's now struggling to stay down and is currently hanging exhausted at the top of the water on her side... :( I still haven't gotten the acriflavine yet, so may consider it for the long term. Is there anything I could do though to make her more comfortable in the mean time?

Thanks- any thoughts much appreciated.

Edited by Bluefish

Could you post some video updates of everyone?

I am thinking that the one in QT is just going to have scales that are going to be like that indefinitely, and could possible be returned to the main tank. However, I think it would be great if we can discuss this again after seeing the videos.

It is entirely possible that there is an internal issue, at which point we will have to find means to deal with it.

I was trying to catch the skinny fish head standing but it never really did it again..but here's some videos:

th_2011_04282010_goldfish0001.jpg

goldfish with lymphocystis

th_2011_04282010_goldfish0007.jpg

This was the best I could do for the skinny fish

Photo0271.jpg

Goldie in QT

Back again :( I did a 50% water change yesterday and 2 goldfish are occasionally acting up again: the one with lymphocystitis (same issues as seen in the previous video) and the skinny goldie (who is starting to do the headstanding again). Advice?

I also put the QT goldie back in the main tank since it's been acting ok...but with these other 2 acting up, maybe it was too soon?

New video of the skinny goldfish (Note: the glass was reflective so the house plants you see are in in the room, not in the tank- goldfish is hovering mid-tank)

th_2011_04302010_goldfish0013.jpg

Thanks!!

I think there is an internal parasite issue, and I really need to check to see where you can get some Jungle antiparasite medicated food. Help me look as well, please. :)

Hey dnalex, any luck finding a place that sells Jungle antiparasite food? I've been looking and having a hard time coming up with anything..either out of stock or unavailable (amazon.com)..or discontinued (http://www.thepondou..._fish_food.html)

Thanks

I found mine on eBay. If you can't find any let me know and I'll send you some of mine :) I'll just need you to pay postage.

Tapataljk makes mre tipe badd

I picked up the Jungle anti-parasite food from Big Al's in Hamilton. I know there are lots of these scattered around the GTA. If need be, I am in Toronto 4 days a week and we could arrange a meet up and I can deliver you some. PM me if you like.

Aww, thanks you two for the kind offers :) teh_Kibbster I wasn't aware Big Als still had any- I plan to check this weekend, but if they don't have it, I’d love to arrange a meetup(btw how do I pm you?)

Well, Big Als scarborough doesn't have any antiparasite food. :( the-Kibbster, it would great if we could still meet up..I can't send you a pm- could I reach you through e-mail instead? You can reach me at PonytaExpress@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Bump? Still trying to find some jungle food- doesn't seem to be available anywhere :(

Have you contacted teh_Kibster?

I don't have enough posts yet to pm, so I left my e-mail in my post but don't know if she saw it ..would it be ok with you to send her a pm for me dnalex? :S Thanks.

I don't have enough posts yet to pm, so I left my e-mail in my post but don't know if she saw it ..would it be ok with you to send her a pm for me dnalex? :S Thanks.

I email her for you :)

Thanks koko! :)

Thanks koko! :)

No problem :thumb:

I just sent you an e-mail! But here's a repeat!

I am so sorry, I lost sight of that thread! Koko just e-mailed me, forgive me! I didn't know we weren't able to PM.

I would be able to get to Big Al's on Tuesday afternoon after school to pick you up a bottle. I think it's $10? I take the GO train and subway to get to class, so I wouldn't be able to drive anywhere to meet up. Union station might be a good place to meet up, or somewhere along the university-spadina line subway. Not sure where abouts you are located, hopefully near the area, or you might be able at least to get there.

I could also potentially mail it to you? That might take awhile though, I think 3 days. I could send it in a ziplock baggie and padded envelope.

I have half of a bottle left if you want that, or if Big Al's is out of it I will try to get it you way. Let me know what you want to do. I actually live in Stoney Creek, near Hamilton. If you're closer to that neck of the woods, I'll happily drive it over.

Again, sorry for the delay!

Hi again! So..its been a while, just wanted to update. I've been feeding the jungle food for 3 days consecutive for almost the full 4 weeks (this Sat is the last day)...I'm wondering if I should be seeing signs of improvement by now? Cause there's no real change (though I think the biggest one filled out just a tiny bit..and the poop of the skinniest one is thicker/less floaty ). I could post some pics tomorrow-but does anyone have experience feeding jungle food for longer?

Thanks

Thanks for the update. If you can, post a video as well. After the Jungle we are going to have to work to fatten them out. The medicated food isn't very good for growth.

Darn, they're hard to videotape..I didn't see any headstanding today..but I'll try another video if I can catch them later this week. I have comparison photos for the skinniest fish:

Before:

2011_01152010_goldfish0540.jpg

After:

2011_06102010_goldfish0006.jpg

Front view:

2011_06102010_goldfish0029.jpg

Not sure if he's put on any weight; in both photos he's still pretty skinny.. So on to fattening them up now?

I think there has been some definite growth!

What food do you feed normally?

What food do you feed normally?

Fish food obviously