Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waterfaller1

Help,I just had an accident, is anyone online?

I'm so sorry for both of you. Sending healing vibes your way. Do you mind me asking what you were using to vacuum the water out? I want to make sure I avoid having the same think happen. I can only imagine how you feel. Give yourself a break though, you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your goldie.

I use a regular piece of 3/4" clear tubing. This could happen with any type of siphon unless you had something like a baffle over the intake. I always keep my finger near it in case anyone approaches. It was MY fault, I was not paying attention, and he tried to slide past my hand and between the glass. Thanks for all the great advice and good wishes.

This is so sad! It's not your fault, it was just an accident and your intentions were wonderful as you were just trying to take care of Zorro and your other babies. He'll heal just fine with your care and the help from everyone here. :heart

I hope that Zorro gets well soon :)

Edited by alistairw

Carole, I used the mesh from a bag of oranges over the end of my siphon, and it's held on with a rubber band. I did that after Harry swam up the siphon.

Also, if you are using just a tube, you might want to invest in a vacuum end. The smaller opening will have stronger suction, more than I want or need.

I used fishnet pantyhose, doubled over the end and held with an elastic. Works great! Got the idea from Fang :)

I have never QT'd an injured fish. I just add some salt to the tank. I feel you should only qt if the fish has something that can make the others sick.

Oh and I just put one of my fish nets over the end after I get done cleaning gravel and just need to get more water out and won't be standing next to the tank.

Edited by Hidr

I have never QT'd an injured fish. I just add some salt to the tank. I feel you should only qt if the fish has something that can make the others sick.

Oh and I just put one of my fish nets over the end after I get done cleaning gravel and just need to get more water out and won't be standing next to the tank.

This is generally a good practice :)

I suggested QT because depending on the extent of the injury, other fish may pick on the sick fish, so the QT is good until the injury heals up.

I'm going to buy me some fish net stockings tonight ! My husband will be upset when he finds out the fish net stocking aren't for him :rofl

Thanks for the good wishes, and ideas about pantyhose, and nets and such. I have a nice mesh bag that should work good. I did decide he was healed, the spot looked good,and had rested well, so I put him back with his clan. They are not picking on him, they do not pick on each other ever. But I will watch them to be sure. I just felt the stable tank would be the best place. He is doing great, swimming normal now,and hanging close to the group. He ate real good as usual.

that's wonderful news Carole :heart

Good to hear. Hope he heals up quickly and with no issues. Keep us posted.