Help with Prazi

Other Required Info:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level - 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit Freshwater
  • * Water temperature? - 68-70 (varies if fireplace is on).
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gallons, 7 yrs
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclear 110
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Before, 75% every two weeks. Will be upping it with and after Prazi treatment.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? The last one was April 22nd. I would like to do one tomorrow, about 80 to 90% but want to confirm Prazi treatment first before I go ahead.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish. 5" Ryukin male. 3" Ryukin Calico. 2" Pearlscale. 3" Wakin.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? n/a
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari pellets, 6 days, one day of fast. They are also getting my garlic gel food in the morning.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? the Wakin, 3-4 weeks ago, after QT
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Currently at 0.3 salt, with water change, it should be removed.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Just salt since the 22nd of April.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I've noticed a funny bump on the calico's pec fin.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yawning from Mr. Ryukin. Some fin fluttering from Wakin and Mr Ryukin. Calico is a little slower than normal. Pearlscale is a happy camper, nothing wrong with that girl!

Hokay, I ordered the PraziPro. While I've lost Taiyou, I'd like to treat the whole tank as there are symptoms of flukes. Just wondering how to go about doing this. I'm not totally clear on the 5 day, or the 7 day schedules? Is one better than the other?

I know I have to remove the carbon from the filters before I start dosing.

Also the salt, do I continue at 0.3 or 0.1? I'm a bit sketchy on this one right now.

I also have QuICK Cure. Should I add this just to knock everything out of the way?

I also have Deworm Bits in the mail, but no idea when these will arrive.

I'd just like to confirm all this before I do the water change tomorrow morning. Thanks!

I prefer the 5 day schedule personally. Here is the basic schedule:

Day 0: add prazi

Day 4: 50% water change

Day 5: 50% water change, add prazi

Day 9: 50% water change

Day 10: 50% water change, add prazi

and so on. Continue this schedule until you have added prazi 4-6 times.

For the first two rounds you want to salt the tank to .1% (which is 1 tsp per gallon of water). Prazipro is not as effective with a higher salt concentration.

I would not add quick cure or do any other meds like the deworming meds without a specific reason to. Medications (especially combo ones like quick cure) are very harsh on your fish and can (depending on the med) knock out your cycle. You can also build up resistant 'bugs' by overtreating or treating when not necessary.

For now, I would stick with just the prazi and see how that goes. If anything changes in your fish's behavior please let us know and we can reassess the treatment course together :)

No quick cure.

Lower salt to 0.1%. One of our members had contacted the company about prazipro and they said that salt above 0.1% might weaken the prazipro.

I always do prazi like this;

Day 1: Add prazi

Day 2: Add prazi (to double the first dose)

Day 5: do a big water change

Day 8: do a water change and add prazi

Day 12: water change

Day 15: Water change and prazi

Keep doing this for about a month. Two weekly water changes, and after the second weekly water change each add a regular dose of prazi.

EDIT: tithra explains so much better than I do :lol

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Either one of these schedules would work. Pick one that works best for your schedule :)

Okay, thanks guys. I just wanted to confirm before I went messing around with the tank again.

I will do the largest WC possible tomorrow (as per the instructions on the bottle) and will add 4.5 tsp of PraziPro to the tank. I will also add 90 tsp to the tank of sea salt. I am a bit confused, do redose the Prazi on day 2 or not (that would be May 3)? That would enable me to keep the 0.1 salt a lot easier if I didn't have to mess with it after a 50% WC...

Also, the Prazi will not harm live plants correct? There is no warning on the bottle, but I do have Java Moss, an unknown crypt, and Rotala Indica growing in there...

I didn't think I should add the QuICK Cure, but just wanted another opinion. I LOVE that medication, and fortunately my stuff expired before I had even used 1/4 bottle. I like to have it on hand, and my new bottle expires 2016. Thanks for confirming.

The deworming food I bought because I suspected the fantail who died on Friday had passed a worm that ripped out her anus, and the secondary infection to this gaping wound caused her death. I want to worm the tank just for my own peace of mind after that experience. I have never wormed these fish, however I started them on a garlic gel food on April 23rd as a home-made wormer type thing. I'm not concerned with creating a "superbug" system in there, but really want to do so as a precaution after Taiyou's death. I will probably deworm them after the PraziPro treatments are over.

You can redose on day 2 following the 2nd protocol, or you can just double dose on the first day.

Prazi will not harm plants, nor will salt at 0.1% :)

That was a disturbing amount of salt. It basically worked out to a cereal bowl full.

I did a water change, about 90%. Removed the carbon from the filters. Added salt and Prazi.

I will add more Prazi tomorrow and continue from there.

Thanks for the help guys, I just needed to clarify.