Sign in to follow this  
Narny105

History of birds!

10 posts in this topic

So I thought I would make a topic about my budgies, since Jade (the green budgie) is sadly on his way out with a very aggressive cancer that got removed from his face a few days ago. Seems to be growing back as well, and if it does, we have decided we are not going to pursue treatment and just get him put to sleep. We are already treating him twice a day with liquid medications. Sadly, as much as we have tried over the 12 years of having him, all we have been able to do is handle him in and outside of the cage, but never grab him to give him medication. He squawks and even cries while we try to give him the medication to stop the pain in his face, but it is not fair on his part and too stressful, hence why we won't pursue any more treatment if the biopsy results come back confirming the cancer. The treatment for him would be laser, but I honestly think that since the cancer cells were already beginning early stages of dividing, it has probably already hit the bloodstream and the tumour did bleed before we got it removed (It literally appeared overnight and we took him to the vet 4 days later- which was too late)

IMG_2611.jpg

The poor boy has had a history of treatments, since when he was 3 he had psittacosis, which is a very common disease found in the parakeet family. Usually, a lot of birds from pet stores will carry the disease as it is genetically passed as well as through faecal matter. It was a very expensive treatment, with a needle every week for 6 weeks, and then one needle a month for a further 6 months- so buy your birds from certified breeders! :P

He used to be paired with my girl Beau, who was egg-born and died from a mass in her stomach- I think it was a cancer, but we never found out. Since then, we bought a beautiful budgie called Charlie from a certified breeder from our bird vet. I got very close with him within the first week as he was already tame. I took him out every afternoon for a fly and he even helped me ruin my homework :P Sadly we were treating him for a bacterial issue that is very rare and can appear in any bird. Within a week while treating, he sadly died. As devastated as we were, the breeder was even more so and we got Charlie's brother, Larry. He is such a guts, and was very easy to tame! It was a stroke of luck that we got him as he was going to another lady. Strangely, her parrot suddenly died and didn't want Larry any more, so we ended up getting him.

Since then, we have recently gotten Larry's brothers, Alfie and Sunshine. We are still taming them, but this time we are trying a different method than before. We used to just take them out in a room for a few weeks until we gained trust, and then started letting them come out at will (as long as the cats and dogs were outside). Now we are wetting our hands and covering them with millet spray, which is working well, but now whenever we handle them they nibble on our fingers the whole time lol.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them!

Alfie:

IMG_2627.jpg

Larry, jade, Sunshine, and Alfie

IMG_2626.jpg

Larry and Sunshine:

IMG_2631.jpg

Hope you like!

they're beautiful Alex.. i am not a fan of birds, but i apprecaite why people do like them. i do like to look at them but doubt that i personally would ever own one. good luck with Jade, i hope for some positive results :heart

they're beautiful Alex.. i am not a fan of birds, but i apprecaite why people do like them. i do like to look at them but doubt that i personally would ever own one. good luck with Jade, i hope for some positive results :heart

Oh wow I didn't know owning birds could be so stressful!

They are very cute tho

I am sorry about Jade :( He's such a gorgeous guy.

But all the others look great too, I especially like Alfie for some reason, even though I am usually not so fond of "washed out" (not sure how you really call this coloration LOL) colors on budgies. But he is so cute!

I'm trying to figure out which one is Larry and which one is Sunshine LOL I assume Sunshine is the yellow bird? :D How old is Larry? He looks a bit like a hen to me, unless he's still young and the color of his cere hasn't fully developed yet. It looks very brown in the lineup picture though.

Just wondering!

I'm sorry about Jade, that's really tough. Your birds are beautiful. I love the last photo with all of them together, such pretty colors. :)

Your birds are beautiful, Alex. I'm sorry about Jade. :(

But all the others look great too, I especially like Alfie for some reason, even though I am usually not so fond of "washed out" (not sure how you really call this coloration LOL) colors on budgies. But he is so cute!

I'm trying to figure out which one is Larry and which one is Sunshine LOL I assume Sunshine is the yellow bird? :D How old is Larry? He looks a bit like a hen to me, unless he's still young and the color of his cere hasn't fully developed yet. It looks very brown in the lineup picture though.

Just wondering!

Thanks!

Larry, Sunshine, and Alfie are all under 1 year old, but they are all male. You can get birds sexed before the cere colour comes in. The vet just literally sticks a thick needle through the skin and looks at the internal organ :) it's very cool and interesting to watch- and the wound closes itself after a few hours so no stitching is needed. Yep, Sunshine is the yellow budgie, and Larry is the white with blue. :)

Just wondering!

Thanks!

Larry, Sunshine, and Alfie are all under 1 year old, but they are all male. You can get birds sexed before the cere colour comes in. The vet just literally sticks a thick needle through the skin and looks at the internal organ :) it's very cool and interesting to watch- and the wound closes itself after a few hours so no stitching is needed. Yep, Sunshine is the yellow budgie, and Larry is the white with blue. :)

Gotcha. That's why I wondered about their age. I love budgies, we used to have quite a few when I was little. I do know now though that they weren't kept proper. Similar to goldfish; much too small cage for 10 birds, always in the cage etc. I wish I had some photos of them though.

Anyway, you need to update on these guys on a regular basis! :D

They are all so beautiful!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Jade. I'm hoping you get some good results back!