Sign in to follow this  
Prejudiced

What?! No bird section!? (Meet Alex, my parrot!)

39 posts in this topic

Thanks guys! :)

Ash, I do think these birds are happiest when they are part of daily life/part of the human ‘flock’. Originally Alex spent a lot more time in his cage then what he does now due to my old housemate having cats (So he was confined to my bedroom when out anyway) and while happy, I have seen such a huge improvement in his personality and general wellbeing since I got my own place and he has been given free reign. He is calmer and less prone to biting as he burns off all that excess energy, his flight muscles and body condition in general has improved vastly and it really has just been amazing to see! In addition I invested in a larger cage (an ekkie, too, or small macaw cage is what this one is) so when confined he could actually do a bit of flying, and I think that has also contributed :)

If grandma doesn’t have the time to tame and do all this stuff, maybe she should consider setting up an outside aviary and getting this bird a companion? With free reign and company in a set up like that they are also very happy little guys! Alex’s breeders have four suns (one handraised, three rescues) in a set up like that and despite the three rescues not liking people they are very happy and healthy together in that flock set up :)

What a really pretty bird! Thanks for sharing :)

Alex loves to play rough, chew on everything and ruin new clothes by putting holes in them. He also likes cuddles, long naps in the sun, and yelling at the parrots outside with his conure scream. Sometimes, if he really likes you, he's bob his head as if trying to regurgitate you a meal, though he's still a little too young for any of that behaviour!

If I ever need to put up a dating ad, I'm going to use this description! :rofl

I totally never even thought of the rescue thing. That is a really awesome idea. One day when I have the space would love to get one :)

Alex loves to play rough, chew on everything and ruin new clothes by putting holes in them. He also likes cuddles, long naps in the sun, and yelling at the parrots outside with his conure scream. Sometimes, if he really likes you, he's bob his head as if trying to regurgitate you a meal, though he's still a little too young for any of that behaviour!

Alex, i never pictured you the screaming bobbing type :tomuch:

:lol2

Haley, the rescues are a great idea! Unfortunatly some birds come from some not so good homes and require more experience to handle and rehab, but their are also plenty of sweet natured beauties who end up there because they have outlived their owners who would be perfect for a first time macaw owner. :thumb: Plus, most rescues will pair you with a suitiable bird and let you have a 'trial week' or two to ensure you are the perfect fit for each other. It's really a win-win thing! :)

Alex, i never pictured you the screaming bobbing type :tomuch:

Well, if the shoe (or name!) fits...

:lol

Can I ask a weird question? Are they "potty trained"???

Yes, Alex is potty trained! He will only poop on his cage or stand, though we do have the occasional accident :)

I would never be able to risk losing my beloved parrots with free flight. I have heard to many horror stories of birds fling off never to be seen again.

Wow he is very good looking! And potty trained! how did you manage that? lol. When we take our birds out with us like to the pet shop of the bird vet, we are constantly using tissues to wipe the floor haha

Edited by Narny105

I have one that is potty trained however I did not do it. He just wont poop on me. However he well try to feed me. ewwwww.

Hidr I think free flight is great, but it takes exceptionally natured birds and a very strong bond to do properly. It's not something I feel I can do unfortunately, but I have friends who do it. However, your average bird outside is a recipe for disaster.

On potty training, it just happened. Alex got clued onto me not liking it when he pooped on me/my stuff because that I would react by putting him down and running for the wipes. When he goes in the cage or on the stand that does not happen obviously, so he just kind of learnt. Some people do actually train them by providing a reward for going in the cage, I never had to. I don’t believe in scolding birds when they go out of the designated spots as you can start bladder problems because they feel like they need to ‘hold it’. I’d rather the occasional accident then that. Alex will go in his travel cage (providing a portable option when we travel) his normal cage or any of his stands. He will fly back when he needs to go and all. :)

I had a cockatiel that liked to go on car rides with me. He would also eat from my mouth too. But it scared me when I did take him out of the home. He was allowed to fly all over the house too :lol