Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ShawneeRiver

Armored catfish wreaking havoc in South Florida lakes

Why do people release fish?! I saw a CL ad in which the owner said the fish had to go or he was putting them in the river. Yeah, that's hilarious. :doh11:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/armored-catfish-wreaking-havoc-south-florida-lakes-182812663.html

:doh11:

I absolutely love these fish, but IMO they shouldn't be sold in the quantities that they are sold in right now. Every LFS has at least a dozen or more of these fish for sale constantly and they are only a couple inches long. People (like me) think they don't grow big and suddenly end up with a giant catfish. I would never release mine into the wild, that is simply irresponsible.

You have to be careful of what species you're getting, or their size can creep up on you. In general, Ancistrus species stay pretty small, from four to six inches. I have a couple of albino ones (All my local petco stocks for some reason) and they're great little fish. Lots of personality and those funny whiskers.

I think people release them because they think it's the kind thing to do...when really it's far from it. Often the fish don't survive in the wild, or in cases like this, they do but they kill and displace many, many more. It's never the right choice :(

That's insane. What a pretty fish. Pleco are just about as misunderstood as goldfish. They are really neat, but no one stops to research their needs or how big they get. I was guilty of this. Now I stick with pleco that I can keep properly, I love them.

Sign in to follow this  

Photo of the week winner!

Pic of the week poll #20