Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Okori

Eggs for breakfast? Why thank you!

So this morning I was forced to wake at an unholy hour (6 am or so :rolleyes: ) to take the girlfriend to work. When I returned I witnessed an interesting spectacle. Four of my fish were mob style chasing my smallest goldie, and by the time I got close enough to look they had pushed her into one of the plastic plants in the tank and eggs EXPLODED EVERYWHERE. Seriously. It was like those hoaky old skittles comercials where they rained down from the sky. They started shooting all over the place. Most of these were eaten by my fathead minnows while I ran around and freaked out trying to find something to put them in. Managed to get mama out into the container where she dumped out another 100 or so eggs. I gave a couple of my favorite boys a chance to be a papa (does that sound bad?) and the eggs are now in a small tub under a lamp with a sponge filter/bubbler on the "super-dainty-10-bubbles-a-minute-" setting. Also, added fish guard to the eggs to hopefully prevent moldy eggs. It's been a few hours and already you can see the dark center appearing in the eggs (i never realized they're an amber color!).

As a first time fishy mom I DO have a few questions:

Obviously I took the water out of the parent tank for the eggs, but should fresh new water be prepared for them?

Also, Since they're already in a container and I'm too chicken to move them, I was going to place that container in a tank and fill the tank with water (up to 4-6inches, as I've heard fry do best with this depth). Would that work or is there a better solution?

When treating the water for the fry, I've noticed some people say salt at a young age, some say no. Just curious for personal input, and are there other health issues to treat for in the early stages of growth such as flukes?

I've already ordered a decent amount of brine shrimp eggs to be here within the next couple days and I'm preparing a DIY hatchery. I'm not too worried about the size of the spawn, like i said it's only about a 100 eggs (hard to count them all) and our local petstore is awesome about rehoming fish from hobbyist breeders.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Congratulations on the new eggs! I remember when I first saw my goldfish mate. They had a feast, and the few eggs I saved got the fuzzies, heh. Best of luck, and I hope you manage to hatch some gorgeous fry!

Keep us updated and take lots of pictures! I'm curious to see how they turn out. :)

Congratulations on being a first time fry mommy, that's so exciting! :D I can't wait to see some pictures!!!

Congratulations, how fun. Good luck with them :)

Day two, and already I can see dozens of little eyes in the eggs. Id's say out of 150, at least 50 of them are fertilized. Spent and agonizing amount of time seperating the fertilized eggs from the unfertilized eggs. Kept the unferts anyways (in a seperate container) and added some egg guard to prevent fuzz, just in case I missed some little guys. Trying to find a camera to take some pictures, not that there will be much to see for awhile. I've got the fertilized eggs in a 5 gal tank with about four inches of water just kept at room temp (74 usually). I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, I want them to hatch NOW >_>

Day two, and already I can see dozens of little eyes in the eggs. Id's say out of 150, at least 50 of them are fertilized. Spent and agonizing amount of time seperating the fertilized eggs from the unfertilized eggs. Kept the unferts anyways (in a seperate container) and added some egg guard to prevent fuzz, just in case I missed some little guys. Trying to find a camera to take some pictures, not that there will be much to see for awhile. I've got the fertilized eggs in a 5 gal tank with about four inches of water just kept at room temp (74 usually). I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, I want them to hatch NOW >_>

:clapping: So exciting! Do you plan on keeping any? Why type of fish are is the Mom and Daddy? I am in the market for a ranchu. ;)

Glad I saved my unfertilized eggs now... found a little pair of eyes peeking out at me yesterday! Scooped it out and added it to the main tank.

Two of the eggs have hatced and are laying in the bottom of the little cup they're in. It's so cool to watch all the little guys twitching in the eggs, I expect most of them to hatch by tomorrow <3 Then the fun begins, starting the brine shrimp hatchery. Also have a microworm culture for when they're a little bigger, and 500 micron Golden Pearls. Looking to find a large enough tub to go outside once the weather warms up so I can culture some greenwater for them. I've heard mixed results about its use, so I plan to do this sparingly.

@Graycee: This is a hodgepodge batch, I didn't plan this spawn but plan to raise it regardless. The mom is a lovely little Calico fantail. There are 3 potential dads, 2 ranchu and a telescope. Dad One is a Red ranchu with a beautifully smooth back and nice tail tuck. Dad Two is a white Ranchu with a nicer wen and finnage. Dad Three is a deep bodied red and white telescope.with huge symmetrical eyes. The chances of my ending up with a "ranchu" without a dorsal fin are pretty slim, but if I see a nice one developing I'll set it aside ;) I'm planning on keeping a few of the nicer babies.

How very exciting! I really can't wait to see them develop now. :P Thank you for keeping me in mind. :) Do you keep a lot of your offspring? What do you do with the ones you don't keep for yourself? Sorry for all the quesitons, i'm just so curious. Lol.

Actually this is my first batch, although I've wanted to breed goldfish for years, its just never worked out. The last time I had decent stock and was ready to start my tank was hit with velvet while I was away for the weekend and my roommate didn't realize anything was wrong until they were all dead.

As for the fry it's hard to say what will be done. It seems as though many breeders have a low yield of decent fish from a spawn. From a spawn of 1000 I've heard of breeders keeping as few as 15. My spawn was much smaller, I've counted 53 eggs so far, and who knows how many of them will make it to adulthood.

Also, I'm not looking for any one trait in this batch, I mostly want the experience of raising and grooming this first group for the future fry I plan on raising >:D. I have a few homes in mind--one very nice man with a small pond--and the local lfs will take the babies I don't want after they're at least an inch long.

Still looking for that darned camera, but there are now a dozen babies hatched and crawling up the side of the glass. Better get that brine shrimp started! >_>

:( I'm so sorry to hear about your lost fish. I'm always so afraid to leave my pets with people who aren't owners, or have been owners themselves. I think i'd just about have a heart attack if i had to ask a non-horsey friend try to take care of, and understand, all the important things needed for my horse. :yikes

Even though it's your first offspring you seem very prepared! I'm sure no matter what you'll find that one little one you especially like. ;) Good luck on both the camera and the brine shrimp! Keep the updates coming. :)

Oh Congrats on the fry :) watching them grow is so much fun :) Good Luck!!! looking forward to pics when you find the camera ;) lol

I've got 37 free swimmers at the moment. Put a couple of pieces of white paper under the tank so I could get a better look at them (and hopefully itll make finding the poop and cleaning the tank easier in the future). I've watched a few spiral towards the surface with no success--even though we were cheering like crazy for them, lol--might lower the water level a bit to help with this, it's very sad to watch them sink back to the bottom of the tank after so much work. =/

A little worried about the brine shrimp hatchery, It's not changing color as i expected it to, but it's still early and I have a couple days in case this batch fails to get another started. Wish me luck!

A little disappointed today. Had about 40 eggs that were fertilized that didn't hatch in a little dish with about a dozen hatched fry that hadn't started swimming... all gone =/ upon closer inspection (as to why they werent hatching) I saw that a few of the eggs had fuzzed over and all the babies nearby had died. Sad day.

On the bright side, however, I've got a good batch of fry swimming about. Some of my guys are still clining but most are taking off, and in addition to brine shrimp my microworm culture arrived in the mail today. I've got at least another day before I need to feed them, but at least I'm prepared!

Also, been feeding my big goldies like crazy and between the big water change I have planned for tonight and the rain storms weve been having, I might have some more eggs soon =3

Never thought I'd be so excited about fish poop, but somehow it's so cute when the fish is the size of a grain of rice =3

My ill placed concern is gone... for now. My fry weren't growing quite as quickly as others (from browsing fry journals) but I also don't have a heater in my tank, and the room temp is fairly low, so I'm chalking up the slower growth rate to the cooler temperature. They're about a day or two behind what seems to be "normal" growth rate, but I'm okay with that. Let them be little!

For future fry parents!!!!! (with small batches, anyways) I've found that cleaning the tank is fairly easy with a homemade siphon. You could buy one online for about 10 dollars or use a turkey baster, but I've found this to be MUCH simpler.

It's just a standard pop straw cut at an angle at the end and a length of airtubing, like for a bubbler. Slip the straw over the end of your tubing, suck the air out of the air hose end to get your siphon started and vacuum away, just like with the big kids! I use the same siphon to return water to the tank, putting the straw end in my container of treated water and starting the siphon, letting the water trickle into the tank over a fake plant. This provides a gentle stream of water without stressing the fry with the current.

Fry are eating nothing but brine shrimp at this point, the microworms are WAY too big for them yet. It's cute to watch them go "hunting" and their bellies get all round and full. I've got them in about 3 inches of water, I've heard fry are best kept at depths of 4-6 inches, though I have no idea how true this is. Going to increase the depth of the water in a week or so after they're put on some growth.

Still looking for that &@!$%^&@ camera. Sorry guys =)

Sorry for no posts, trying to make my phone's camera take some decent pictures, but it's hard when your fish are the size of a grain of rice >_O

Sill have all 25 fry (to my amazement!)

At this point you can easily see the huge gaps in development from fry to fry. My two largest fry (the big bad lads, as they've been nicknamed) actually have no tails. I've debated long and hard over this, especially since seeing Sorsha's little guy with no tail, and have decided to keep them for now to see how they grow out. I know there is a breed of goldies refer to as "meteor" fish since they rocket around when they swim, perhaps I'll look further into that....

There is also a trio of fry that are insanely small still. I check for them every morning, and will probably move them before their siblings decide they can fit them in their mouths. Aside from that, you can finally see the difference in eyes from my "normal" fry and the fry that will have the telescope eyes of my beloved Hubble the orange and white telescope. Can't tell any colors in the babies yet. >:o

Have yet to cull at this point, A.) Because I'm sentimental, and B.) Because at this point im not sure which traits I should be culling for. There is not "breed standard" I'm looking for in these guys, and I'm concerned that to my untrained eye what might be a "deformity" to me now might the beginning of a beautiful trait that I'll destroy prematurly.

The fry are set up in a 10g right now, next week I'll move them into a 20g and finally add a heater so i can start putting some weight on these guys and bulking them up.

It's great to get an update! I'm glad to hear all of your little guys are all doing so well! :D

How are the fish babies?

Doing great! Have to say, the first culling was horrible for me. To work so hard to raise all those little guys to be strong and healthy just to turn around and decide that some should live and some should die.... I did it, but I was FAR from gracious about it. It was for the best though, and I've since culled a second time with much greater ease. One of the fry had a mutated face. His eye never surfaced but could be seen under his skin, and his mouth was so deformed he could no longer eat.

I've got about 15-17 left (I never really counted =P) I'd say half are going to be red/white, and half are going to be matte calico's like their mum, most of which have two black eyes. It's weird, but with the matte calico's you can see all their little insides >_O

They're growing like bad weeds recently, although one fry in particular is still the same size that he was at 1 week. I'm not sure if he'll ever grow.... Only one of my "big bad lads" is still big, he actually has a tiny bit of tail at the top of his nub, which turns up at a 90 degree angle. But MAN can that little guy swim, he's actually a much stronger swimmer than my other fry!

Also I'm going to take a video with my roommates cell phone and post it later. Stay tuned! >:D

Yay!! I'm happy to hear they're doing well! I can't wait to see some pics of the 'lil cuties!! :clapping:

:theater:

Finally! The long awaited.... VIDEO!!!! Has a wine glass ever been so full of cute? I THINK NOT

(I apologized to them profusely for putting them in the glass, but it was the only way I could get a video of them)

If you pause the video at 0:13 you can see the fry "Tiny Tim" who is the same age as all the other fry in the glass but looks about 2 weeks old. AT 0:29 you'll notice me follow one fry around in particular, that's my boy with no tail (we've named him 'Pedo (Like TORpedo, not a creeper lol). Hope you enjoyed it! More to come =)

For your own sake turn OFF the volume, unless you like the sound of a gurgling bubbler and heavy breathing XD

http://s276.photobuc...inkthewater.mp4

Edited by Okori

Finally! The long awaited.... VIDEO!!!! Has a wine glass ever been so full of cute? I THINK NOT

(I apologized to them profusely for putting them in the glass, but it was the only way I could get a video of them)

If you pause the video at 0:13 you can see the fry "Tiny Tim" who is the same age as all the other fry in the glass but looks about 2 weeks old. AT 0:29 you'll notice me follow one fry around in particular, that's my boy with no tail (we've named him 'Pedo (Like TORpedo, not a creeper lol). Hope you enjoyed it! More to come =)

For your own sake turn OFF the volume, unless you like the sound of a gurgling bubbler and heavy breathing XD

http://s276.photobuc...inkthewater.mp4

That was great! They look very sophisticated in the wine glass, too. Keep the updates coming!

congratulation on the babies. they will need a lot of patience and attention