Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andrewni

Rattle! Filter problems...

So, my recently acquired used eheim classic 2213 canister filter has developed something of a... rattle.

This much vaunted workhorse isn't invincible after all. :no: I'm pretty sure this is down to the impeller. I have cleaned it, greased it lightly with vaseline and just taken it out hopefully and put it back again, but to no avail. The rattle persists.

Is it time for a new impeller? I did notice slight wear on the white plastic bearing at the base, but this is so slight I'm not sure it's the cause. Any comments and advice greatly appreciated- I want that famous eheim near-silence!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Edited by andrewni

I've never had a canister, but I hear that if air gets into it, it makes a lot of noise. Maybe that could be it? :)

I've heard that sometimes you'll have to tilt the canister around to try and get rid of any excess air that might me trapped, as apparently these can contribute to noise; especially on the newer filters!

Hope this helps

did it start randomly while it was running or after you did a cleaning and hooked it back up?

Air in the lines is certainly one possibility, I would definitely check that out. I can't imagine you need a new impeller already!

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure its not air, this is a different type of noise. Oh, and this is a second hand filter, a couple of years old

I had the same thing happen with my 2217, which is a few years old. I hooked it up after cleaning one day and it made this awfully loud noise. Disconnected it, cleaned the impeller, put it back together--and the same again. Repeated --same again. Decided it was the impeller and ordered a new one that has still not arrived. For 2 or 3 days it continued to make the noise--and then suddenly, it stopped.. In my case, not so much a rattle as a really loud and extremely annoying hum. I usually get rattling noises when there is air in there. No idea what this was, but in the end, not the impeller--and it cured itself. If the impeller shaft is not broken, I'd let it run a few days and see if it doesn't sort itself out before getting a new impeller.

Dang. I got a new impeller. Then during fitting it I broke the ceramic axle rod! Luckily the store had spare rods but they were a 40 minute drive away! So I put an air stone in the cannister to hopefully minimise any impact on the bb. What a headache! The new impeller is fitted now and it sounds less rattley, more loud hum. Mine started the same way, after starting up after a water change. Annoying much?

Edited by andrewni

Dang. I got a new impeller. Then during fitting it I broke the ceramix axle rod! Luckily the store had sparer rods but they were a 40 minute drive away! So I put an air stone in the cannister to hopefully minimmise any impact on the bb. What a headache! The new impeller is fitted now and it sounds less rattley, more loud hum. Mine started the same way, after starting up after a water change. Annoying much?

Actually, I misspoke before--it is still humming (or maytbe, humming again), I realized this morning. But not as badly as at first. I'll see if the new impeller, whenever it gets here, helps me. And I am going to mess around with it this weekend. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. We are, I think, in the same boat!

Ok, I figured out the cause of the rattle in mine. It was the thin white shaft that goes down through the impeller--mine had broken off at the bottom. I had not noticed it when I pulled the impeller out in my previous investigations. This time, I noticed the broken bit at the bottom. Replaced the shaft and all is silent once more--happy day. :)

Ok, I figured out the cause of the rattle in mine. It was the thin white shaft that goes down through the impeller--mine had broken off at the bottom. I had not noticed it when I pulled the impeller out in my previous investigations. This time, I noticed the broken bit at the bottom. Replaced the shaft and all is silent once more--happy day. :)

:clapping: