Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pinky2252s

What has your goldie done that was ADORABLE?

Well, I have a 4 foot x 2 foot x 2foot tank, with common goldfish - and they are INCREDIBLY intelligent.

What they do, every morning when they know it's feeding time, is the 'hit' the theremometer (sp?) so as that it makes a 'click' noise against the glass to get my attention.

They do this only in the morning before feeding - they msut think if they do that, it gets them food.

Secondly, they all hand-feed from me. I LOVE this, as they are so friendly. OInly thing I'm worried is when I do eventually move them to a pond - this could be a problem with birds about!!

Another thing they do, is when they see me they come to the front of the tank, and start wiggling / dancing.

I lvoe them!

My goldies get very excited with food too (but then which goldfish doesn't lol?). My tank is in the living room-when I come down the hall to feed them they can see me in the hall mirror and start doing the food wiggle dance. The cutest thing is when they all pile up in the feeding corner one on top of another while doing it- like a fish tower!

Enjoying everyone's stories- let's keep them coming. :)

I used a food reward to teach my Oranda, Sydney, to swim through a hoop that was suctioned to the side of my tank. When it was time for training, I would pull the hoop out and when training was over I would push the hoop flush against the side of the tank. Sydney loved doing "The Hoop Trick" for a treat and he was always very disappointed when training time was over and I put the hoop away. One day after a training session, I walked away from the tank and came back a few minutes later only to find Sydney nudging the hoop away from the wall and swimming gleefully through the hoop looking at me expectantly for treats. Pretty smart and pretty cute!

In case anyone is interested here's a video of my Oranda, Sydney, when he was just learning to do his hoop trick described in my post above.

I used a food reward to teach my Oranda, Sydney, to swim through a hoop that was suctioned to the side of my tank. When it was time for training, I would pull the hoop out and when training was over I would push the hoop flush against the side of the tank. Sydney loved doing "The Hoop Trick" for a treat and he was always very disappointed when training time was over and I put the hoop away. One day after a training session, I walked away from the tank and came back a few minutes later only to find Sydney nudging the hoop away from the wall and swimming gleefully through the hoop looking at me expectantly for treats. Pretty smart and pretty cute!

In case anyone is interested here's a video of my Oranda, Sydney, when he was just learning to do his hoop trick described in my post above.

How awesome is this! Great job! :)

Wow, great job! That's amazing.

That is so cool guys. :thumb:

I think If I tried to train charlie I would just get a face full of water :lol

Well, I have a 4 foot x 2 foot x 2foot tank, with common goldfish - and they are INCREDIBLY intelligent.

What they do, every morning when they know it's feeding time, is the 'hit' the theremometer (sp?) so as that it makes a 'click' noise against the glass to get my attention.

They do this only in the morning before feeding - they msut think if they do that, it gets them food.

Has anyone heard of animal superstitions? The link is about Skinner's pigeon experiment, but this has been documented in pigs, too (I think by Temple Grandin).

http://io9.com/5746904/how-pigeons-get-to-be-superstitious

Someone should document superstition behaviors in goldfish. Maybe it will replace the popular imagination's "3 second memory" lie that leads to abysmal care for so many goldfish! :D

Has anyone heard of animal superstitions? The link is about Skinner's pigeon experiment, but this has been documented in pigs, too (I think by Temple Grandin).

http://io9.com/5746904/how-pigeons-get-to-be-superstitious

Someone should document superstition behaviors in goldfish. Maybe it will replace the popular imagination's "3 second memory" lie that leads to abysmal care for so many goldfish! :D

I learned all about skinner while doing my Pyschology major. Cool stuff.

I have my aquarium right next to my bed, so every time I wake up in the morning, my goldfish will rush over when they see me looking and nudge their little noses on the glass. They do this little "dance" up and down the aquarium glass until I feed them. I used to play a game years ago where I'd move my finger up and down on the outside of the glass, and they would follow it. Then after a while of following the finger, I'd feed them before leaving. I didn't realize it then, but I guess I was inadvertently teaching them that up/down glass equals food. :P They know they always get fed early in the morning, so they do the same dance now even without the finger. It's really adorable to watch. :)

And today, I was feeding my goldfish when one pellet got stuck behind a plant. Sunset, my lionhead, notices the food and starts wiggling her tail fin, frantically trying to snatch it up. It was adorable - I was about to help her, but then Charcoal, my black moor, comes along and ends up getting it first. He has a slightly narrower head than Sunset, poor girl.

My redcap oranda makes a super loud suck noise at the top of the water when she sees me come by, I think shes realized that it gets my attention! Of course when I try and videotape it she won't do it LOL

Where did you get that Hoop & feeding thingee???????????????????????????????? :clapping:

Aw lovely stories :D

My fish are rebels. I don't think I could train them if I tried, they're too independant :P But Clive has been so cute lately. He's been ill so I've been hand feeding him and having to handle him alot more, and he's got so calm with that. He was never that nervous to begin with, always nibbling at me when I'm in the tank. The first time he nibbled me after being pretty miserably ill was a good moment :D Now he actually chases my arm round the tank when I'm vaccuuming :P

Aww that's too cute. I would love to teach mine to do cool tricks like that! Sounds like a good bonding experience too :)

You can get the "hoop thingy" at most pet stores in the fish section. It is meant for attaching horizontally at the top of the water to keep your floating fish food on one area, it's $3.00 or something.

I have successfully trained 3 Orandas to do this trick. I believe with consistancy and patience most fish can learn this trick relatively quickly. Here is how:

You can teach them to eat from your hand or, in my case, long insect tweezers used for feeding lizards. Once they recognize the tweezers/your hand as a source of food then they will usually follow it anywhere, especially if they smell lunch on it. So then I use the tweezers with a treat on the end of it to guide my fish through the hoop. Soon they will recognize the hoop as a place to receive food and start swimming near it, around it and through it when you bring it out from the side of the tank during feeding time. Then you simply reward the behavior you want, which is swimming through the hoop. (sometimes they need to be guided for a while). Then, once they swim through the hoop once you can work on increasing the number of times they swims through. Once goldfish have figured out a pattern that will get them food they are likely to try it again if the first time doesn't end in them receiving the reward they were looking for. Teaching your fish to swim through a hoop takes about 2 weeks to a month of daily training. I usually just make it part of my feeding routine. You just need a little patience and to remember that it is a goldfish that you are working with after all. They are quite smart for fish and have great memories of up to 4 months, but sometimes it takes them some time to work new problems out or remember exactly what they had to do to get that treat from you. You can actually see the cogs slowly turning in their little fish brains.

You can also teach them all kinds of other tricks like basketball, soccer, and fetch with the R2 Fish School kit. I am not affiliated with them, just Saw their stuff during a YouTube search. I'll post it.

Here is the thing on the R2 Fish School tricks. It's totally fish-dorky, but it does seem to work.

I personally want to know how to do this trick!

I personally want to know how to do this trick!

Ack!!! Sorry this posted a bunch of times. I don't know how to erase the extras! :oops: