Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
salso

cloudy water

Hi everyone!

I have a question about cloudy water.

I have a 110 litre tank with 4 juvenile fancy goldfish. The tank has 2 filters, one with a 4 tier system. I change the water and clean the tank and filters out regularly but after a couple of days the water turns cloudy.

I've had 3 of the fish for about a year now and one since Christmas, which is when I got this tank. This has only just started to happen recently though.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Salso

what do you mean by cleaning out the filters? do you rinse them in tank water? how regularly? have you checked your water parameters, in case it's a bacteria bloom (from adding the new fish)? what filters do you have? how often do you change the water? is it cloudy in a debris sense, or is it loads of tiny bubbles? sorry for all the questions, but it is to rule out possibilities, so we can decide what it might be. :) especially because I used to have a perpetually cloudy tank for no apparent reason, which only cleared after I used carbon and filter floss.

I have to agree with cathface. My first thought is a bacterial bloom from adding the new fish or from cycling of the new tank. It could also be debris or bubbles (bubbles can be deceiving little buggers).

I've also got what looks to be a cloudy water problem in my betta tank, but I've determined it's probably just slime on the glass making it look that way,since that tank's been cycled and I only have one fish in it at the moment.(I really do need to get my hands on a nerite.) Since you said you clean the tank regularly,I don't think slime would be the cause of this.

Welcome to the forum :) Can i ask what filters you are running, what water conditioner do you use if any and do you have a test kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates ?

hello!

right, OK.

i do have a PH tester but not nitrates or amonia. should i get some?

the smaller filter is a Fluval U1 and the other larger filter came with my 110 liter Jewel aquarium so I'm not sure of it's name. Its a tiered filter system.

The water conditioners I use are Tetra Aquasafe and Easybalance and API Stress Zyme.

Thanks!

Yes, you definitely should :)

I would recommend getting something like the API Freshwater Master Kit. It's a drop test kit that allows you to do hundreds of tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. This is one of the best kits out there, and very economical as well :)

Do you have any gravel or plants in the tank?

i have sand and real plants. about 8 or 9 of them.

also to answer previous questions yes i just wash the filters and filter pads out in the tank water. it's also a sort of white cloud, making the fish harder to see rather than many bubbles.

A little bit of an odd question, but does the cloudiness disappear when the lights are on any length of time? I had a very stroppy java fern once that released I-don't-know what into the water at night, so the water was always cloudy in the mornings, but it would disappear when the lights had been on a few hours. It didn't harm the fish but was certainly strange.

no it doesn't dissapear when the lights are on. the fish do appear to be gasping a little more than usual too :/

With 4 in the 110 you are a bit overstocked. Ideally you would want a 190 liter tank for four.

How often do you change your water and how much do you change?

How much/how often do you feed?

hello i changed the water and the filter pads last night and took out a couple of plants but the water hasn't cleared up. i generally clean it once every 7 - 10 days.

i feed them a few pinches of pellets (that have been soaked) in the mornings and then give them a treat in the evening (like blood worms or brine shrimps or shelled peas occasionally).

could it be a nitrate problem? i'm going to get a testing kit tomorrow (will try to get the API freshwater one suggested)

How much water do you typically change at a time? (30% 50% etc)

When you say you changed the filter pads did you throw the old ones away? Did you change all of them or just some? (changing out your filter media will cause you to lose your cycle if you change out everything at once. Typically you just need to rinse them monthly in some tank water. Only throw them out when they are falling apart and stagger it so that there is always some established media in the filter)

as tithra said, you shouldn't be chucking them out at all, unless they are literally falling apart. this may be why your tank is cloudy - it's a bacterial bloom from the bb's trying to regenerate to accomodate the bioload?

i see. i still have the smaller one in there which i thought might accommodate for that, and i hadn't changed any (thrown any away) previous to that when the cloudiness started.

i change about 20 - 30 % of the water at a time.

i've never heard of a bacterial bloom before! can anyone enlighten me?

If you have a second filter still running with old media you should be fine, although you could get a cycle bump, so the sooner you can get a test kit to keep an eye on your parameters the better. In the future though I would suggest just rinsing the media monthly and only replacing when it starts falling apart.

In an appropriately stocked tank it's recommended that you change 50-80% of your water weekly. With 4 in a 110 your weekly 20-30% changes will not be enough, even small goldfish produce a lot of waste ;) the best way to figure out how often you need to change it is by testing your water daily for a week to see when toxins begin to rise. I believe your small water changes may be a contributing factor in the cloudiness you are experiencing. I would suggest upping the amount and frequency of your water changes (but you do want to make sure tap and tank ph and temp match so that is another good reason for a test kit :D )

the water is still cloudy. i thought the problem might have been I was keeping it too clean with the suggestion of bacteria bloom, or now do i do more water changes? sigh.

have you tried doing big water changes, ie. 70%+? I've got 3 juveniles and a stunted adult in my 160 litre, and I do 80% or more twice weekly.