Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ShawneeRiver

New betta tank -- from the Edge to the Half Moon

In October, I got a great deal on a Fluval Edge tank at Petco. It was an unused floor model, and it was $36 -- wow! I had been wanting a desktop tank, so I snatched it up. The Edge is a beautiful tank, but it is a pain in the butt to work in. The opening is much smaller than the tank, so in order to move a plant or vacuum or anything, I have to reach around under the top of the tank. And you can't reach in without removing water, or it will overflow. The thing was super difficult to clean.

I wanted something easier, so I got the Aqueon/ Tetra Half Moon 10 gallon. I just set it up today, and I like it. The shape is interesting, and the curve makes the fish look bigger. Also, the biggest plus for me is that I can stick my hands in the tank! The big problem with the tank that I see so far is that the lighting is very low. Also, the tank has a lot of glare.

Even though the new tank is bigger (10 gallons vs. 6.6), the footprint is a little smaller. But the height allowed me to add a piece of driftwood, which I've been wanting to do for awhile.

Plants in here are green crypts around the front, red crypts in the back, willow moss on the wood, Asian val, floating hornwort and duckweed.

Occupants are Ghost the dragonscale betta, 6 neon tetras, about 20 cherry shrimp, and one small nerite snail.

The Edge. It looked good, but it was a pita.

6792346708_a93e2a76df_z.jpg

New tank without flash.

6876412296_7bf7e379e3_c.jpg

With flash.

7022596663_cd66ed1d58_c.jpg

6876414126_c3f46ee58a_z.jpg

The red spots are cherry shrimp.

7022516795_a0666a779c_z.jpg

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I like the new tank very much, Shawn! Good move! :)

I never thought I'd be so excited to put my hands in a fish tank! :rofl

LOL. Now I want one, too! :rofl

I really like it! congrats :D

Very nice!! I like it :D How does your betta get along with the neons?

I love the new halfmoons!! Especially the driftwood, it's a really nice touch. I wish I could find a piece small enough for my betta tank.

Thanks, everyone. Tithra, this piece is shaped like a large C, and the rock is holding it down. It was the only piece in the store that would fit.

Fine. The neons are not very active, and they usually hang out on one side of the tank, and Ghost stays on the other. I'm hoping that this tank will make the neons more interesting.

Fine. The neons are not very active, and they usually hang out on one side of the tank, and Ghost stays on the other. I'm hoping that this tank will make the neons more interesting.

oh gosh, I thought it was 2 separate tanks! 1 with neons 1 with a betta lol... derp derp

It looks very nice, Shawn.

Congratulations!

Everyone looks active today, even the shrimp. I think they like it. :clapping:

Very cool. Can't wait to see that willow moss grow in. Happy for you. :)

Your tank looks really nice planted like that. I never would have thought about neons with a betta but if it works then why not--they look good in there. :)

Thanks, Dan. I'm very excited about the moss. The shrimp should like it, and I love the look.

Kristi, I got them because my daughter wanted them, but they get along fine. They are calm and peaceful, and they don't threaten the betta, so he doesn't mess with them. Having lots of plants helps. I don't know if it's the different current or the bigger space, but they have been more active in the past couple of days than they have been over the past several months. :)

Oh I really like that :) I was thinking about a fluval for my self but now after your post I think I will look into one of these ;) thanks for sharing :)

Nice! The fish are gorgeous and I love the heavily planted look and I am sure the bettas love it for lurking! :)

Thanks, Maceo. I love planted tanks, and I always think everyone else's looks better than mine. But I'm working on it. ;)

Shelly, the tank was good quality, and it was great looking. But someone told me that working in one is an exercise in patience. I would tell myself that every time I would bend my arm around in an unnatural position to replant a crypt that then would not stay in. I got tired of it.

An easier option is you want a small Fluval are the Ebi or Flora. I almost got the Ebi. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver