Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sod84

How important is flow rate in canister filters?

Hi all. I hope you guys can give me some advise.

I have a 150L tank with 3 goldfish.

I just found out that my canister filter flow rate is lower to what I thought it was. According to the manufacturer with typical media setup the flow rate is 850LPH this is without the use of a spray bar or any other attachment to the outlet. So I'm getting about 5.6x filtration per hr. I've heard that a spray bar will reduce the flow rate even more.

Should I continue to use the spray bar or should I want the max flow rate that u can get without the spray bar? How important is the flow rate in canister filers?

Thx

I think you are fine. When you do the filter flow rate calculations, we use the max theoretical output, knowing that the actual output is significantly less.

I think you are fine with what you have, although of course more filtration isn't bad :)

Thx dnalex. That makes me feel so much better my max flow rate without any media is 1250. I never knew u guys had a margin of error for the rule. So I'm not under filtered that's good.

Its been about a month now and I'm still getting sometimes 0.25 of ammonia in my tank I don't know what else I can do. I'm not overstocked. And I've already checked with you that I'm not over feeding. Not sure what else I can do to eliminate ammonia other than daily doses with prime :(

What is your tank pH, may I ask?

Tank ph is 7.8. The ammonia sometimes goes from 0- 0.25 and sometimes even to 0.50.

Edited by sod

Have you used a bacterial supplement, like Nutrafin Cycle? Also, you may need more biomedia.

Havent tried the cycle yet money is a bit tight ATM and that stuff is expensive. But I will definately get more media I think. I might go hunt for some bio max today. Means I'll have to get rid of my coral though :( darn. The coral has been working so well for past 3 months

Thx as always Alex

Edited by sod

Do you have substrate or barebottom tank? Koko mixes the coral into her substrate, and that's worked really well.

I have substrate. That is a great idea. I will do just that.

Thx heaps. Hope the bio max solves my problems. Otherwise last resort will be the cycle

hey DNALEX.. what exactly is the benefit of crushed coral?

hey DNALEX.. what exactly is the benefit of crushed coral?

Crushed coral is natural source of calcium, carbonate, and other trace elements. When this works, this is the best way to buffer your tank pH, since it's a steady amount that gets dissolved into the tank. You can just add this to your tank (under a high flow area) and forget about it for months.

I have heard that using Prime can give a false ammonia reading. It is plastered all over the internet. Maybe somebody can back me up on this one?

I use Prime and It works great for me, But I have heard that it can give off a False reading of the .25 ppm ammonia that you are talking about.

How often are you using Prime if I may ask?

I have heard that using Prime can give a false ammonia reading. It is plastered all over the internet. Maybe somebody can back me up on this one?

I use Prime and It works great for me, But I have heard that it can give off a False reading of the .25 ppm ammonia that you are talking about.

How often are you using Prime if I may ask?

You don't have to look elsewhere on the internet. It says so in the Prime FAQ on the Seachem website :)

They say that salicylate-based (two reagent) tests for ammonia can give you a false positive. So, do your readings immediately after adding Prime, AND wait for 24-48 hours before doing your test.

i normally do a ammonia test after 24 hrs of dosing with Prime. Will that cause a fault positive result?

What filter are you using Sod ? Flow rate calculations are also important depending on how you have your filter set up and what it's primary filtration method is. If you are using different grade sponges/pads and floss it will primarily be doing mechanical filtration with some biological filtration taking place so you would want a higher flow rate (8-10 times per hour). If you have mostly ceramic/bio ball media with one or two (usually 1 course and 1 fine sponge/pad) you will be doing mostly biological filtration with some mechanical filtration taking place and the recommended flow rate for that is 4-6 times per hour.

What filter are you using Sod ? Flow rate calculations are also important depending on how you have your filter set up and what it's primary filtration method is. If you are using different grade sponges/pads and floss it will primarily be doing mechanical filtration with some biological filtration taking place so you would want a higher flow rate (8-10 times per hour). If you have mostly ceramic/bio ball media with one or two (usually 1 course and 1 fine sponge/pad) you will be doing mostly biological filtration with some mechanical filtration taking place and the recommended flow rate for that is 4-6 times per hour.

Hi Alistair, I'm using Aqua One Aquis 1250. The media set up can be seen here http://www.aquaone.c...s_advance_2.php

It has 3 baskets, and all 3 baskets are filled with bio media. It also has multiple sponges, 2 of them being 15ppi, 1 being 35ppi, and final layer is filter wool to polish the water.

So im guessing this is mostly a bio filtration method with some mechanical?

What are your readings for nitrite and for nitrate?

Hi Phoenix1 - my Nitrate levels never go above 10ppm as I do 2x water changes a week. 1 month ago I treated with prazi and could not do a water change for 7 days, and at that time the nitrate went to 20ppm. I dont have a nitrite test kit at the moment as i've ran out and haven't replaced it yet.

Edited by sod

Hi Alistair, I'm using Aqua One Aquis 1250. The media set up can be seen here http://www.aquaone.c...s_advance_2.php

It has 3 baskets, and all 3 baskets are filled with bio media. It also has multiple sponges, 2 of them being 15ppi, 1 being 35ppi, and final layer is filter wool to polish the water.

So im guessing this is mostly a bio filtration method with some mechanical?

What are your readings for nitrite and for nitrate?

Hi Phoenix1 - my Nitrate levels never go above 10ppm as I do 2x water changes a week. 1 month ago I treated with prazi and could not do a water change for 7 days, and at that time the nitrate went to 20ppm. I dont have a nitrite test kit at the moment as i've ran out and haven't replaced it yet.

With nitrate levels not exceeding 20 ppm you probably do not have a nitrite problem.

How often do you clean your bio media and sponges/filter wool?

I use to clean once a month. However now I'll probably only clean once every 3 months.

I just replaced new filter wool about 2 weeks ago and 3 days ago added 1kg of biomax and removed the coral that I had in the filter. All in an attempt of growing more beneficial bacteria

I clean my canisters 3 times a year provided everything is ticking over as per normal. I have heard of people only doing this once a year but that is usually on a well seeded filter with tropical fish.

Great to know that I'm heading in the right direction. I think my previous monthly filter cleaning was cleaning away a good majority of my bb.