Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aluyasha

My New Bubble Eye!

So after alot of thought I decided to get a goldfish for my 15g. I admit, it was very hard not getting two, hopefully in the future I can get a 55g for my single tails and then ungrade my new fancy to the 30g and get him a friend. :)

I was not planning on getting one tonight, but I was at the petstore getting some anubias for my bettas and saw this little guy and had to have him. lol

He is only about an inch long, he is an orange bubble eye with a white patch on his left side and random black fin tips. :)

I made sure only to put soft plants in the tank and I gave him a log cave that has all smooth edges (though it will need to be removed once he grows bigger).

DSCF4261.jpg

DSCF4267.jpg

DSCF4271.jpg

DSCF4275.jpg

DSCF4281.jpg

His name is Hobo. And it is kinds a weird story as to how I got the name.

On the way back from the petstore, after I had got him, my husband and I were at a stop light and on the sidewalk next to the crosswalk was a homeless man laying on his back. He did not look right, his face was frozen and he was stretched out as if he had fallen over. We were both concerned and apparently so was another man walking down the sidewalk, he stopped to check on the homeless man and it turned out...he had passed away. :(

Sorry if this is a creepy story but I felt so bad for him. I wondered if he had any family and I did not want him to be forgotten like so many homeless people are. So, since I did not know his name, I named my goldfish Hobo so that he will always be remembered. By me at least.

R.I.P. Guy.

Edited by Aluyasha

Aw. What a cutie.

Cute fish! Wow... what a name! I think that's very admirable of you to name him after the gentleman that passed away.

what a cute little fishy! so tiny! ill bet hes happy to have so much space for swimming!

Cute fish! Wow... what a name! I think that's very admirable of you to name him after the gentleman that passed away.

Thank you. I just feel kinda bad that all I could come up with was Hobo, sounds a little insensitive to me. Like I am summing up that man as a hobo.

He's a real cutie - his belly and his bubbles are about the same size.

I think it's nice of you to honor the memory of the guy who passed away...since you didn't know his name or anything else about him, Hobo is a pretty good one.

Enjoy your new fish!

mj

Thank you. I just feel kinda bad that all I could come up with was Hobo, sounds a little insensitive to me. Like I am summing up that man as a hobo.

Well, it's not too late to change a name but I don't think Hobo is a bad choice. I'm pretty sure the gentleman would agree that was pretty appropriate :) I'm just thrilled that you have a heart big enough to think of the guy :heart

Edited by horserider36

Thank you everyone. :)

Say, just curious. I am kinda new to goldfish (my first goldfish, the single tails, I got at the begining of feb. So about a month ago). As for me picking a bubble eye as my first fancy, do you think I picked wrong? I heard they are one of the more experienced types of fancy.

I know to have no sharp edges in the tank and to make sure to not have or do anything that might tear his eye sacs. But is there anything else I should know? I really like him but I do not want to risk my inexperience hurting or killing him.

Look at that belly! :lol Awww. :)

How cute. He looks like he's holding his breath. :)

He is adorable :) Congrats on your new addition :) And I do like the Name and the reason behind it :)

Is the 15gal cycled? other than sharp/pointy objects they are super sensitive to bad water in my experience :)

He is adorable :) Congrats on your new addition :) And I do like the Name and the reason behind it :)

Is the 15gal cycled? other than sharp/pointy objects they are super sensitive to bad water in my experience :)

Yes the tank is cycled. :)

I had platies in it for about six month up until a day before I got him.

Here are some more pictures. :)

DSCF4289.jpg

DSCF4290.jpg

DSCF4298.jpg

DSCF4308.jpg

Aww a little cutie, looks to have nice bubbles too. :-) like the story behind the name too.

very cute and a nice (although very sad :( ) story.

Awww what a cutie! And a crazy story about the name.

I know that "Hobo" could be taken as offensive, but you know what? In my opinion it always depends on how the "user" means it. If you mean it in a nice way, than that's how it is.

It definitely is more honoring than other people would have given that homeless man :) And I even think the name is quite cute, because of you using it to honor the man :)

Thank you everyone. If I do find a more flattering name to represent the man in the future then I will consider a rename of my goldie. :)

I know my tank is not an ideal size, but I have to say I feel bad I have Hobo alone. He has been spending the day trying to interact with his reflection. :/

To cute :)

very nice!

i've heard that "hobo" is a syllabic abbreviation of "homeward bound" ... used mostly to refer to migratory workers that would travel for work, then travel home. i guess that makes me a hobo! i work out of town about 3 months a year =)

I have a few questions about his care.

I know single tail goldies do not really need a heater, however I have heard that fancies like warmer water. Should I have a heater for my bubble eye?

Also, I know that airstones are good for goldfish tanks because they help with oxygen in the water. But I was wondering, because he is a more fraglie type, should I still get him an airstone? And if so, which kind should I get? (I do not want to risk the really sctratchy ones in case they can tear his sacs).

And one more question. For future reference, what fancy goldfish can go with him? If I got him a friend I wanted to go for another bubble eye, are two or more bubble eyes good together? (just curious)

I know single tail goldies do not really need a heater, however I have heard that fancies like warmer water. Should I have a heater for my bubble eye?

Also, I know that airstones are good for goldfish tanks because they help with oxygen in the water. But I was wondering, because he is a more fraglie type, should I still get him an airstone? And if so, which kind should I get? (I do not want to risk the really sctratchy ones in case they can tear his sacs).

And one more question. For future reference, what fancy goldfish can go with him? If I got him a friend I wanted to go for another bubble eye, are two or more bubble eyes good together? (just curious)

i'd recommend only keeping the very swimming impaired with him (very fancy goldfish).... either celestial eyes, bubble eyes, or lionheads. anything else would swim faster, detect food faster, and eat faster... potentially causing a hungry hobo!

as for the airstone, i recommend one of these

http://www.petsoluti...t-Airstone.aspx

you can watch it in action at the video below, it's a bubble wand that comes in a variety of colors and even changing colors. i use 2 in each of my tanks! great for adding oxygen to the water, and the fish like to play in the bubbles =)

all mine are slow color changing. if you don't already have an air pump i recommend whisper brand =)

Edited by egregious

here's my 2 cents ;)

Whether or not you will want to use a heater depends on your room temp and stability of that temp. Typically fancies do best in the low to mid 70's and a stable temp is generally a good thing :) So, if your tank temp without a heater is in that range and stable I wouldn't worry about it. I personally use a heater bc my tank is next to a drafty window and will sometimes get down to 60 w/out a heater. So, I use a heater to keep my tank 72-74 degrees.

I don't think an airstone would be ill-advised for a bubble eye, but as you pointed out you'll want to find one that is not pointy or rough. I personally use a flexible bubble wand, it is smooth and soft. something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0536F-Flexible-Anti-siphon-36-Inch/dp/B0002DIGD8

I would suggest only keeping another bubble eye or a celestial with him, but others may have better input on this :)

Both of those airstones are cool. I have never seen the bendy one before. :)

What about those airstone that are shaped like sicks and they usually suction to the back of the tank?

Also, should I remove his gravel? Not only because I heard gravel can cause problems for the eye bubbles but also because it give him more water space. And would it help him to find food a little easier?

:hi Hello and welcome to koko's. You will find oddles of info here on your fancy gold fish.Seems that you are doing good NOT to have sharp decor in the tank as not to hurt the "bubble eyes" :D .

You may have to reconsider having a tank mate with the bubble eye fancy, will cut down the risk of eye injury. Other than that congrats....what a cute fish. :wub:

Aw, what a cute little goldfish. He looks happy exploring. I like the name, and I for one would consider it an honor to have an animal named after me. :)

Do you have pantyhose or anything like that covering the filter intake? I've heard of bubble eyes getting their bubbles sucked in. :blink: The bubbles grow back, but it must be painful and they're never symmetrical again.