Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wango

Ryukin floating

Hello there,

My ryukin sometimes floats, and stays stuck at the surface, and sometimes floats upside down (rarely) for a second or two.

I thought he had swim bladder, but then I noticed he only floats late in the day (after feeding times have passed).

So It lead me to believe that he gets bloated easily, because my oranda does not float like him.

I started to research what could be wrong, and then I noticed white string of poop left by him for a couple of days and I got worried, because the other month my smallest oranda died from dropsy after having white string poop.

So I quickly fed him more peas than usual, and now after a week or so he has stopped pooping white and has stopped floating altogether, and is now more interactive and more exited to see me than ever before! (i think he knows i am cycling his new tank, he can see it across the room, hehe)

did the peas cure him?

thanks.

It sounds like he's falling into the category of goldfish who can get very floaty after feedings, either from feeding too much or from the starchy fillers found in processed foods. I would re-think what you feed him, how much you feed him, and perhaps try to make your own gel food.

Moreover, starting loading his diets with leafy things like really well cooked baby spinach.

Hmm makes sense, thanks for your help, it all makes sense now!

Is there a specific ingredient percentage of stuff that i should check on a tub of pellets or flakes to make sure they are healthy?

I know most people here aren't a fan of goldfish flakes because they're lower in nutritional value and also goldies have to go up to the surface to eat them, which also makes them gulp air inadvertantly - this can make them floaty. I'm not really sure about what to look for on the nutrtional info other than going for foods lower in crude ash, as well as having fillers nearer the end of the ingredients list (like yeast etc). someone more experienced can probably tell you more though! but since you mentioned you feed Hikari, they're a pretty decent brand that most here would recommend. :) I feed mine the Saki Hikari purple bag, although I've also ventured into making my own gel food now as well.

Hmm hikari seems popular then!

i was wondering if there there is a sinking hikari pellet?

If there is, i could probably find some at maidenhead aquatics!

Yes, the hikari is good :) Other good brands include pro gold (goldfishconnection.com), new life spectrum, and omega one :)

The Hikari lionhead is another sinking Hikari pellet. EDIT: it is really trial and error to find a pellet that your fish is not sensitive to. You may need to try a few different brands, you can also crush the pellets and put them into gel food which may make them more digestible for your sensitive fishy.

Making your own gel food as dnalex mentioned is another great option, particularly if your fish are sensitive to commercial foods and get floaty. Here is a good link on making food for floaty fish :)http://www.kokosgold...s-for-floaters/

Edited by tithra

There's a sinking pellet for lionheads, I know that much?

I generally avoid all cheap brand fishfoods and all flakes except food omega one (which I feed very rarely) because everytime I've used them they cause serious float issues. I've had no problems with my guys feeding them on kanshou and hikari floating pellets.

the Saki Hikari purple bag is sinking. :) I got mine on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

This stuff is EXCELLENT. All my fish go completely nuts for it. It's a bit expensive though, I find.

Edited by Shukura

Yes, the hikari is good :) Other good brands include pro gold (goldfishconnection.com), new life spectrum, and omega one :)

it's difficult to get Pro Gold and Omega One in the UK, or at least I've never seen those anywhere! I've only seen NLS online and at silly prices too. (I'm totally jealous that you guys in the States can get these awesome foods :( )

So many fish foods so little time lol

The saki hikari sounds awesome, £11.90 for 200g isnt bad, considering it goes a real long way, I have had my bag of 100g hikari for over half a year now hehe. I will definatly buy it! thanks for this info! im glad i foundthis forum, getting help from every direction rather than going on yahoo answers lol

it's difficult to get Pro Gold and Omega One in the UK, or at least I've never seen those anywhere! I've only seen NLS online and at silly prices too. (I'm totally jealous that you guys in the States can get these awesome foods :( )

thank you for pointing that out, I always forget that you guys don't have access to the same stuff as we do! that must be so frustrating :(

everything britain has, the US has it better, and more!

thank you for pointing that out, I always forget that you guys don't have access to the same stuff as we do! that must be so frustrating :(

I think the most frustrating is the medication, or lack thereof! I'd totally panic if any of my fish needed anything more than some aquarium salt and like Melafix/Pimafix :(

I think the most frustrating is the medication, or lack thereof! I'd totally panic if any of my fish needed anything more than some aquarium salt and like Melafix/Pimafix :(

yeah, that would freak me out too.