Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

is Melafix risky? Cloudy eye

Does anyone have any successful experience with Melafix? One of the new fish i have has one cloudy eye. Almost like a little air sack covering the eye. Its tiny, pics wont help.

Anyway i am treating the recommnded salt and clean water approach but i dont think the cloudy eye is going away. I had him at .1% salt for a little while and i just upped the dosage to .2% just now. I have melafix on hand but i dont want to over do the meds. He has been going through prazi treatment, and has 2 rounds in so far. He also has cycled media in his filter, so the ammonia/nitrite is not showing up

All else seems normal, he eats swims, poops, etc...he does not show external signs of flukes surprisingly either, like most other fish that come in here from the fish stores here

My main question really is about the melafix. Is this an intense medication? I did do some reading in old forums but some of what i found was pretty old and many people did not like this med.

I have used it many of times. If Im using it with salt I will normally do a half dose. This is to make sure the fish wont stress out. If they are fine in a 24 hour period. I will increase the dose to normal.:)

My Kwan got cloudy eye from shipping stress. It took 3months to go away! But now she is perfect :)

I just did the normal QT in the beginning and then just left her in clean water.

Both Melafix and Pimafix are great and are very under rated treatments.

ok, thank you guys. At this point im just so happy he doesnt have flukes, coudy eye is nuthin...hahah

Yup. Nelliel took two months to clear her eyes, so your best bet is just to keep water perfect. She will be fine eventually. You should probably start decreasing salt soon, and then remove it altogether.

ok. i was a little delayed in giving her salt for the first few days, i used prazi alone the first round. he wont be in salt for more than 2-3 weeks if everything goes ok.

i named him Mugsy Bogues. If you know that name without using Google, you get cool points

I love melafix. I have not had any problems with it.

I'm a big fan of melafix and pimafix, used correctly they can really do wonders. And a big plus is that they are natural. :) Koko has a great idea about using 1/2 dose when using salt and then full dose if the fish react well. Some fish can be sensitive to it, especially if their gills have been affected by something like a heavy fluke infestation. But otherwise most goldies seem to tolerate it quite well.

thank you. what types of symptoms do you feel it helps? I am using for the cloudy eye, but have you had success with other sickness or symptoms?

I've used it to treat finrot, cloudy eye, and also if they get a bit of red veins in their tails. Of course it works better if you use it at the first signs of symptoms. I sometimes combine the pimafix and melafix when I see signs of internal infection. If you get it right at the beginning you may never need to use stronger meds. :)

thank you. this fishie eye looks better but he looks like he is gulping at the surface. i assume its from the melafix. I have an airstone and the filter so i will do a water change and see if he has better O2.

eye swelling is down