Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Orandaman

Baby Oranda Fries (repost)

Guest Orandaman

Sorry for the earlier mess. It was late. Click on the link below. I reposted the original message.

Hi, this is my first posting and I want to thank everyone for their great ideas on Goldfish Breeding.

I had over 50 Oranda fry's without any idea on how to care for them until I read the messages on Koko's Goldfish Breeding message board. The helpful discussions on the topic of breeding by the many members of Koko's Goldfish helped me tremendously.

They are a little over 6 weeks old now. I don't think they would have survived as well without the shared knowlege found on this website.

So, thanks to everyone for sharing those experiences. Special thanks to Koko and Ranchugirl. Between them must have at least a hundred generations of goldfish breeding experience.

I like to share my joyful experiece with pictures located on the link below. Pictures were taken between 1 to 4 weeks of the development.

At last count I have 46 babies. Lost 7 along the way, 3 by accidents and 4 by natural causes. My scientific calculator tells me I must have started with 53.

Oranda slide show (click here)

At first I didn't think it was possible for me to hatch and raise Orandas at home. I lack the knowledge and preparedness.

When I first noticed white specs in the tank and the fact that Hilda (female) was incredibly huge I put two and two together. She was laying eggs. Hans (male) was chasing Hilda around the tank constently, splashing on the surface and crashing into everything in the tank. I wasn't prepared to separate the parents and the newly hatched eggs. By the time I got the bucket ready all the eggs were already eaten.

With more research on websites and books, I placed two plastic decorative plants in the tank in hopes of capturing some newly hatch eggs the next time. I turned down the flow on the canister filter as to lessen the chance of it sucking up too many eggs. With great anticipation I waited. And waited. Nothing! Not being able to be there 24/7 is a big drawback.

A week has gone by and my wife is going to clean the tank that morning and wanted me to get those two silly plastic plants out of the way.

I fish the two plastic plants out and threw them into a bucket. After a few minutes I decided to have a closer look at the plastic plants. Behold, there are a few eggs on the leaves. I siphon some water from the fish tank into the bucket just before my wife started to clean.

What the heck I said, maybe I'll get lucky.

Late that night curiously I peeked into the bucket as I was moving it to the corner of the room out of the way, I noticed some moving specs. I asking my daughter to come and have a good look (with sharper eyes) if there is anything. "Daddy, there are little fries in there." She said with great excitement. Her guppies had fries several time already. So she knows.

So, that's how it began. Little did I know what was down the road ahead of me. My wife refuse to discuss the notion of throwing out the runts. There are 4 of them. If I decide to keep all of them I'll need a 500 gallon tank. Yikes!!! I better start digging that pond now.

ehhehe sounds like a nice fairytale!!!

thanks for showing and pictures are so great......

I love the baby brine jars too !

They are so tiny and so cute. If the parents are any indication, the babies are going to be beautiful.

Wow, I really enjoyed the slide show. Those are the best pictures I have ever seen of fry.

The parents are beautiful, and the fry are looking very good!

Jessica

Guest Orandaman

Thanks everybody, for the kind words.

I took the pictures with a digital SLR using a closeup lens attachment.

They're pretty quick when they're small so it's hard to get a sharp picture most of the time.

They are getting bigger, about 3/4" long. I'll have some new pictures in a few days. I'll upload them to the same website and share them with you. By the way you can click on any of the picture twice to get the full size (800x600pixels).

Yes, the water gets a little cloudy. but it way better than it was the first week when the fries just hatched. I could hardly see the little guys through the murky water. A lot had to do with all the food I threw in to try a feed them; crushed flakes, hardboiled egg yolk, frozen baby brine, frozen daphnia etc. They just wouldn't eat. My wife said that's how a friend a work experienced. His school of fries all died because they wouldn't eat anything.

Live baby brine was the magic ingredient. No one was selling it, so I had to hatch my own baby brine, as you saw in the slide show. I tell you, it a lot of work. For the whole of the first week I was hatching baby brines to feed the fries 4 times a day. I started 1 batch each day, in a 3 day cycle. On the second week I switched to decapsulated brine cyst. That was a little easier.

Now, I feed them frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worm, frozen daphnia and crushed flakes. They seem to like the rotation in variety. Am I babying them too much? Think they get spoiled in what they will eat?

I change 50% of the water every 2 or 3 days. With 46 fish in a 10 gallon tank, keeping the tank clean is a challenge. I have added gravel to the tank just a few days ago to get the gravel filteration going. I hope this will help keeping the tank water clean easier. The tank should be cycled in a week or two. I seeded the gravel with mix taken from an established tank. I had a real tough time with the water earlier this month when the local water district (San Francisco) switched from clorine to cloramine. The pH in the tank crashed like I've never seen. It was below 6.0 once. Almost lost Hilda and Hans. I had to up the pH every day.

Anybody else ever had this problem? Well, after talking to some aquarium storekeeps I switched from Amquel to Prime to treat the water and added a pH buffer to the change water. The pH seems to be stable around 6.8 to 7.0.

Anybody have an explanation for pH to drop like that or suggestions?

Anyway, things seems to be stable for now.

I'll keep everyone posted on their development.

Thanks so much for your pictures. My babies are growing and I was worried that their swollen tummies was a deformity, but now I can see that just how they are growing! These the best fry development photos I have seen online, and they are really helpful. Now I have a better idea what to look for!

Thank you :D

everything looks sooooooo familier :D

Great pics m8 !!

Guest Orandaman

Jdude360, sorry you counldn't get linked to the sendpix.com website. I just tried it and it works fine. Maybe the site was shut down for maintenance when you try to access it. It is possible your browser security or privacy is set too high and is blocking it. I can't think of anything else. Try it again.

Tweedlebugpicnic, what breed of fish your fries? How many? How many weeks old are they?

Kev, heard you have over a hundred fries. How are they doing?

I'm worry about my 46 outgrowing the 10g tank I have them in too soon.

Mine are going to be 7 weeks old this Saturday. I promised everyone I'll have new pictures of them and I'll try to post them here in a few day.

I have one picture of the biggest guy that I would love to show you, but I can't upload pictures yet (junior member still) :rolleyes: . He or she is a little under 1", no color yet and looks like a small ryukin.

Orandaman, what part of the country are you in?

(That's a selfish question in case you eventually decide to part with some babies. Judging from their parents, they're going to be particularly nice fish.)

Thanks for the pictures, and please post more from time to time.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest Orandaman

Hi Cjumper,

You're right, I am going to have to part with them soon. I'm not planning to keep this many Orandas. Seems like you and I are practically neighbors :lol: . I am in San Francisco. Yes, I'm sure we can arrange for you to have a few of these darlings. I like to give them to someone who is as passionate about goldfish as the members of this site. Orandas require a little more TLC than other goldfish.

There is a new policy that junior member like us can't email other members. I'm not sure why. I guess there must have been problems in the pass.

Orandaman

Woo HOOOO! Er, excuse me...

I don't know how emailing works on this site, and I don't want to break any rules...

I am at cjumper at sbcglobal dot com.

Right now I have 2 funny little 1.5" butterfly-tail guys in a 12-gallon tank, but soon they can go into a new 75-gallon tank we're getting. The 12-gallon will be available for new residents who need to get big enough to go into the big tank, and then will become a hospital tank with just a couple of white clouds in it to keep the filter healthy.

The big tank is going to have 4-6 goldfish and a few white clouds and dojo loaches, plus a mixture of delicious and yucky plants. I'm shopping for a 75 gallon TruVu with a built-in trickle filter because it sounds like something I ought to try. And besides, I *have* to have acrylic tanks because my Great Dane's tail has been known to knock plaster off the lathe on the walls in our house.

We also have birds and cats... ie, we don't have good sense. But we do take good care of pets.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest tkchandler

What awesome pictures! I was smiling the entire time I viewed them. Hans and Hilda are gorgeous. Those little babies are sooo cute!

EEEEK! Orandaman, I lied!

I am at cjumper at sbcglobal dot NET (instead of dot COM).

But I really would be most happy to become the patron of two or three fry, if we have at least a couple of weeks for me to get their 12-gallon tank ready.

Caroline in San Jose

decapsulated cyst, this is brine shrimp eggs without the shell right., so they hatch quicker ?

Kev

Guest Orandaman

I have new pictures of the fries. I'll start a new post.

I have some more pictures of Hans and Hilda too.

Hey Kev, I got the recipe for you on the decapsulated brine cyst.

I didn't bother hatching them after decapsulating. The fries love them.

The unhatched cyst contains more nutrition than hatched.

Here's the link. Decapsulation of brine shrimp eggs.

Orandaman

Guest Orandaman

WOW! cjumper! You are really goin all out. Sounds like at least 3 of my babies will be moving into a castle. Lucky guys.

I'm putting up new pictures if your interested. Look for a new posting under goldfish breeding.

Orandaman

Wow, Orandaman, what a great job on raising those little babies! How much they have grown into mini goldies in such a short period of time! YOu really did good! :panana

wonderful pictures ! Hand and Hilda are beautiful! Keep up the good work