Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alistairw

Got my new fishes today

Went to Pets At Home yesterday and headed straight to the fish section. They had some beautiful red and white Orandas and a Calico Ryukin that i really liked. After about 15 minutes one of the staff came over and asked if we wanted any fish, after Julie and i decided on the Calico Ryukin and one of the red and white Orandas he told us that they weren't for sale for another week at least due to treatment. I was a bit annoyed as they usually have signs on the tanks stating not for sale. It's good that the store is finally listening to people though and i'm glad that they are treating the goldfish alot better than they did 6 years ago. What really got me angry though was the pricing of their fish, they are now selling jumbo orandas at £49.99 each and Xl's are £19.99. The guy told us that the 2 inch fish we were looking at were jumbos and would be £100. I put him straight stating that they weren't even large never mind XL or Jumbo. Anyhoo resorted to Plan B and headed through to Rintouls in Bathgate. They had bubble eyes, celestials, moors and orandas including 2 huge blackmoors. These things had bodies the size of a large apple !!! and they were only £14.50 each. Too big for me though as i like to watch my fish grow. Settled on 2 small orandas, they are about 2 inches each not including tails. I am keen to stick to my lord of the rings theme with names.

So meet Gandalf :) He/she is a black and orange oranda.

Flash off

gandalf4.jpg

Flash off

gandalf1.jpg

Flash on

gandalf2.jpg

Flash on

gandalf3.jpg

My blue oranda i haven't named yet but would be open to suggestions.

blueoranda4.jpg

blueoranda3.jpg

blueoranda2-1.jpg

Together

blueandglandalf.jpg

They are in the 39 Gallon with Frodo. Rather than Qt i am treating the whole tank. After loosing Pippin to Dropsy i gave the filter a good old clean last weekend. Did a 90% water change this morning. I have added Prazi and am at 0.1% Salt. Will be taking the tank to 0.2% at 10pm tonight and 0.3% at 10am tomorrow. I have also added a heater and am slowly bringing the temp up.

Thanks for reading.

OMG! they are so precious :heart

Gandalf makes me laugh :rofl

oh! and congratulations :)

Thanks Helen. Gandalf settled right in as if he had always been there. My little blue guy is still a bit nervous though so i have the lights off and he is exploring the tank just now. He has been following frodo around too which is cute :)

Edited by alistairw

I was going to suggest you name the blue Bilbo, but after I read that he is following Frodo, I think you should name him Samwise. :)

They are very cute. :heart :heart

Thanks Shawnee. I have had goldfish named Sam, Bilbo, Merry and Pippin previously and am looking for a name that i haven't used yet :)

Gollum also spent a lot of time following Frodo. ;)

Ha, i though about Gollum but wasn't sure about naming one of my fish after a baddie :) It's a possible though !

Oh my gosh they are both adorable :) congrats on the new additions and good call on treating the whole tank all together ,I am currently doing the same with my 55 ;)

Beautiful fish, I love the LTR theme.I LOLd at Gandalf gotta love those eyebrows.

Awww, they are so cute :) Congratulations.

Ha, i though about Gollum but wasn't sure about naming one of my fish after a baddie :) It's a possible though !

Maybe Aragorn? He's much better looking than Gollum. :)

They look great!

I especially love the last pic of Gandalf -his features look drawn on! Definately should enter that for pic of the week haha :]

I like the name Aragorn too, or Galadriel if it turns out to be a girl!

Very cute!! That blue oranda is definitely a Galadriel.

hahaha I love Gandalf's eyebrows! hmmm what about naming the blue kid Gimli? I love Gimli haha... or Treebeard! the ents were awesome. or if it's a girl, Galadriel or Arwen (not Eowyn though, she was a homewrecker).

Eowyn the hussy! :rofl

I named my dwarf gourami Gimli. Cuz he's a dwarf! Get it? Oh, I crack myself up.

Congratulations! Your fishes are very beautiful! Wish you all the best with them. :)

They are adorable :thumb::heart

I love them so much!

Hmmmm, Galadriel. I like it :)

Oh I love them both. I got a little red and black oranda a while back and all of his black is now gone. =( I hope yours stays, he's so cute! I love your blue also. If I could squeeze one more fish in, I'd get a blue. Looking forawrd to more pics!

Cute little eyebrows and moustache on the 4th picture =)

"Say hello to my little friend"

hahahaha, very cute....

Alistair, those two newbies are perfect! Well worth the anticipation!

:Congrats:

I love the worried look on the little blue.

Thanks for all your comments guys. Hope the new fish settle in ok and grow into big happy fish :)

aww so cute! those eyebrows are awesome. xD congrats on the new fish!