Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
adverbemonade

HUGE Pleco with Little Telescopes! Ack!

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I stopped by a suburban pet store I'd never been to.

I was looking for a specific brand of airstone, and found that while they had many brands and sizes of air pumps, they had not one single airstone, bubble wall, or even airline tubing. Confusing. Who decided how to stock this store?

But that's not point.

On the fish wall, one of the <10 gallon tanks had about eight 2" telescopes AND A FOOT LONG COMMON PLECO! A pleco so big that if it tried to suck on one of its tankmate's slimecoats, it would end up slorping up the entire fish like a vacuum cleaner hose!

And there were three unoccupied freshwater tanks in the same row! There was no reason to stuff a giant pleco in with little goldfish!

I told the only clerk on duty, who said she'd tell the fish person. Ugh. I hope the pleco doesn't eat any little telescopes in the meantime.

:no: Good for you for telling them.

Oh my! glad you said something!

I have to admit, this made me giggle a little "it would end up slorping up the entire fish like a vacuum cleaner hose!"

They do this all the time at one fish store near me too. It bugs the crap out of me! >: (

Edited by Sakura

GOOD NEWS! (I think)

I went back about a week later, because I had a doctor's appointment nearby. They'd moved the pleco to an identically-sized tank with about five 3" long cichlids. I don't know very much about cichlid needs, but I'll take a guess and assume that cichlids are vigilant and assertive enough (at least much more so than goldfish) to protect themselves from plecos? The online cichlid community gives conflicting information, but most say plecos are in more danger from cichlids than the other way around. These cichlids were way too small to eat the pleco, but large enough to not be slorped up (I love onomatopoeias, too, tithra!) by the pleco.

Anyway, I had no authority to say whether or not that arrangement was dangerous, as it definitely had been with the goldfish. I know that I helped a little bit. Overall, the fish in this store (and in each of my local fish stores) looked very healthy. Not even a clamped fin to be seen.

Great to hear the scary Pleco moved out of the Goldies.

good for you for saying somthing!

perhapes they had an outbreak of somthing in the other empty tanks?