Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Athena

Peas Please!

Does anyone know if it's okay to feed my goldies peas every morning?

When they were on a strict pea diet they had no constipation. Now that I tried to reintroduce protein my Lionhead is totally constipated. He was fine when I fed them a mixture of spinach and protein but now they've all lost interest in the spinach. Oh and I timed how long it took to eat the pellets I gave them (soaked for 2 min) and it took them about 4 min to eat it.

The problem is not the type of food they're eating but the quantity; this is what causes constipation. You said your fish took 4 minutes to eat the pellets - they should only be given as much food as they can eat within two minutes, no longer. After 2 minutes you should scoop any remianing food out. Too many pellets all at once will certainly clog up a fish's gut.

It certainly won't hurt to feed peas frequently, but I'm not sure if I'd feed them every single day; goldfish need a high amount of protein and fats in their regular diet. Maybe once every other day would be good though.

Hope this helps. :)

Well the more I observe them when they're eating it seems that my lionhead Susie is eating the most out of all three. Maybe that's why she's getting constipated? She's not even the biggest but does she like protein :ymmu

So I will make sure that I only give them enough food for two minutes and then we'll see what happens. They're all very active but after going through this site I realized that trailing poop is bad but it's only Susie that has it? Does anyone else have a little piggy that has a constipation problem? :druel

Thanks sooo much for the advice on feeding my little piglets!! :feedme

I timed it and I was feeding them about twice as much as I should have been!! :yikes