Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flash

my black moore

heres a pic of my black moore in my tropical tank shes been in there 2 years now and she loves it.002.jpg

Goldfish are a coldwater fish and have completely different needs to tropical fish, i think that you need to rehome that fish asap.

Goldfish are a coldwater fish and have completely different needs to tropical fish, i think that you need to rehome that fish asap.

gold fish live quite comfortably at 23c and its only needs are to be fed every day. its lived quite happily in there for 2 years and its only a community tank.

gold fish live quite comfortably at 23c and its only needs are to be fed every day. its lived quite happily in there for 2 years and its only a community tank.

I disagree. I'm not sure how you can tell that your goldfish is happy. I hope that your fish has a long and happy life with you and if keeping your goldfish with tropicals works out that's great :)

He's lovely! And I really like the clean look of your tank--the bubble wall is so pretty!

He looks Gorgeous :) and I'm not sure about the happy or not,But I believe the warmer temps have something to do with speeding up the metabolism and thus shortening their life :(

Beautiful Moor!

23C (73F) is certainly fine for goldies, the question is whether it is the ideal temp for the type of tropicals you have :)

My biggest concern is once that moor gets a bit bigger all those little tropicals will be seen as food. This could result in the death of the little fish as well as the moor if it gets one stuck in it's mouth.

^ that too :)

The best fish to keep with goldfish are certainly goldfish.

Beautiful Moor!

23C (73F) is certainly fine for goldies, the question is whether it is the ideal temp for the type of tropicals you have

I agree. Is 23 a bit low for tropicals?

Most common tropicals available in a pet store will live happily in water between 22 and 27 degrees C. Am i the only person reading this post that thinks this is totally wrong and certainly not the type of information we want to be giving to a new fish owner that happens across this site. Goldfish should NOT be kept with tropicals at all. Goldfish produce a lot of waste that can have rapid and dramatic effects on your water parameters that small tropical fish can't deal with.

Alistair, I agreed with you from the first post.

Goldfish should not be housed with tropicals.

Well, to me, results trump theory. If this unusual community tank has been doing well for two years, I'm not going to find fault with it.

Well, to me, results trump theory. If this unusual community tank has been doing well for two years, I'm not going to find fault with it.

There are always exceptions to the so-called rule, especially with life/biology. Nevertheless, it would be awfully remiss of us if we fail to at least point out that this is not the norm.

I am not going to question this specific system, especially because it's not my fish :) but I just wanted to point out that this is not the norm.

Just my two cents. :)

Edited by dnalex

My biggest concern is once that moor gets a bit bigger all those little tropicals will be seen as food. This could result in the death of the little fish as well as the moor if it gets one stuck in it's mouth.

Well said. Although they may be fine now, you may need I think about separating them soon :) he is very pretty though! So is your tank :)

Edited by pandamanda111

If results trump theory why not just ditch all our expensive tanks and filtration systems and keep each goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl. All of the longest lived goldfish in the uk in the last 60 years have all lived in bowls. That doesn't make it right though.

I too think you should rehome the goldfish immediately, I will be happy to take him off your hands, just send him right over ! :rofl

It's a pretty tank and a gorgeous fishy.

Edited by CindyGen

I too think you should rehome the goldfish immediately, I will be happy to take him off your hands, just send him right over ! :rofl

It's a pretty tank and a gorgeous fishy.

:rofl

May I ask what types of tropicals you have in there?

If results trump theory why not just ditch all our expensive tanks and filtration systems and keep each goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl. All of the longest lived goldfish in the uk in the last 60 years have all lived in bowls. That doesn't make it right though.

I think results trump theory by definition actually. Theory is, by definition, an idea which has not been proven wrong by results of experimentation.

If you actually believed you would get better results by keeping your GF in bowls you would. But you don't think that, you think the instances of old goldfish having been raised in bowls are freak occurrences, or exceptions to the theory. If they weren't exceptions, they, as results, would trump the theory and you would eat your words.

I wouldn't necessarily say there are any rights or wrongs in the way of fish keeping, so long as the keeper's intentions are sound. After all, theory was all conceived from practice.

The above does not reflect my opinion on OP's situation, or the keeping of GF with tropicals in general. My opinion on those issues is neutral.

Here is my two cents ~~~ the tank, and the fish are pretty, that is true and although NOT the advice this site wishes to give. Just because it has lived in that tank for two years and with those fish does NOT make it right....gold fish and tropicals need to have their own tanks ~~~for temp and ph differences, the fish looks good and the others are safe for now~~~we just want all to know what the truth is. We go ALL the time and hear what the pet stores tell people about fish and tanks...and if you don't know what is true they will tell you whats NOT true.

May I ask what types of tropicals you have in there?

9 harlequins 4 zebra danios 1 minnow 1 albino plec 2 clown loache 1 zebra loache 4 corys and 1 black moore

If this works for you who am i to complain. As long as your fish are all healthy and striving and not just surviving that's good enough for me. What you are doing isn't the norm and i fear change ! When i mentioned that goldfish have different needs to tropicals i was refering to the fact that various fish in your tank like a certain set of water parameters. Your harlequins will do better in softer water and ideally should have some form of peat bag or a blackwater extract added regularly. They prefer a lower PH and between 5-7 is good. The rest of the fish you have will all do well in soft water with the exception of your black moor. You say your temp is 23 deg C. Minnows do better between 18-22 and your clown loach prefers 24-30. Both of these fish are existing outside their optimal temp ranges. The danios that you have are the hardiest of your fish and will get by in soft to hard water but they ideally require a 3 foot tank as a minimum with lots of swimming space and a strong current. Goldfish will be fine in higher temps but it has it's pros and cons. The pros are that most of the bacteria that can affect goldfish don't do so well in the higher temp ranges but the downside is the warmer your water gets the less oxygen it holds. Can i ask what your PH is in your tank ? PH is the biggest factor in a tropical tank where most of the little guys can live in water as low as PH 5 and indeed some require it for ideal breeding conditions. The ammonia in water with a PH of 8 is far more toxic than the exact same amount of ammonia in water with a PH of 6 and this is one of the big problems that goldfish owners have to deal with. At a PH of 7, goldfish been known to show no adverse effects to ammonia levels as high as 4ppm But in a tank with a PH of 8 they can only tolerate up to 0.5ppm.

Edited by alistairw