Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cathface

what external filter do you recommend?

with a 160 litre/40 gallon tank now, my two Eheim Aquaballs mean that I'm under-filtrated (on full power, they do 1100 LPH), but I don't want to add yet another internal filter - I think it would start looking ridiculous lol. also I don't really want an internal filter taking up space that could be for more water, if you know what I mean. so I'm looking into getting just one external filter, but I honestly have no idea how they work/what's best! help pleeeease :)

I need it to fulfill these points:

- quiet as possible, as the tank's in my bedroom

- filtration rate of 1600 or more

- easy to clean (not loads of little bits that I could accidentally break because I am rather accident prone lol)

- lots of space for biomedia (I want to get ceramic rings, and I need space for the crushed oyster shell as well)

which filter would be best for me?! :D

I vote Aqua Clear all the way! :)

They are very quiet, reliable and have lots of room for media.

The AC 70 does 300 gph and the AC 110 does 500 gph

The AC 110 would be enough filtration for your by itself, but then you don't have a back up filter if something happens. I would personally go with the AC 70 and keep one of your internal filters running just because I think it's always preferable to have 2 filters running at a time (or you could go with a combo of two AC's if you wanted to ditch the internal filters all together). Or you could even consider a combo of an AC and a canister (which is what I currently run on my 40 gallon ;) )

Edited by tithra

in my opinion aqua clear does a better job at keeping the water looking crisp and clear. On the other hand i have had some issues with the quality of the filter as they seem to fall apart on me.

My aqueon filter seems to be the best as far as quality but doesnt keep the water as clear as i want it to be it seems. it does have a decent space for biomedia

This is just my opinion

I love ACs, but I actually think they all can do a pretty good job, PROVIDED that you assemble your own media :)

I did a search on Aquaclears before, because I'd heard good things about it, but I can't really seem to find anything except powerheads... is this brand widely available in the UK??

Whisper filters are fairly cheap too and do about the same gph as a AC.

I did a search on Aquaclears before, because I'd heard good things about it, but I can't really seem to find anything except powerheads... is this brand widely available in the UK??

I remember reading that you folks in the UK have trouble getting HOBs in general? that's a bummer :(

If it was me I would go for one of the fluval canisters, like a 306 which you can get at a reasonable price online here in the UK, check out zooplus.co.uk

They're meant to be super quiet, I'm thinking of getting a 206 to add to my existing juwel set up

Eheim's are extremely quiet and using the spray bar to agitate the surface quietly you can avoid the need for bubbles. You could select the Eheim with appropriate flow rate.

Did you get your XP2 up and running ?

I did, thanks! it's super quiet, I'm happy to say. the only problem I have with it is probably the eyesore that is the inlet tube haha. I have nothing to complain about so far; it didn't fit in my under-tank cupboard but that's my own fault for not checking first.

I also have the aqueon 30-45's in my tank's and have no complaints on their use,but am planning on upgrading to either two AC 70's or the penguin bio wheel 350 models ;) just because I think they can hold more media and I want a longer intake (bare bottom tank) and 2 filters instead of my current 3 ;) lol

I have nothing to complain about so far; it didn't fit in my under-tank cupboard but that's my own fault for not checking first.

I have this problem with mine, AquaOne Aquis 1250 - I have to unscrew the cupboard door to get it in and out the cupboard, which is a real pain when I've just put everything back together again, screwed the door back on and then realise there's still a bit of the filter on the floor... :doh11: I don't think I'd go back to internals, had a bad experience with the one I was running parallel to my canister, I love how quiet the canister is, if it weren't for the airpump the tank would be silent - ideal for tropicals, but the goldies are not happy without the bubbles as mine's not set up for surface agitation.

Hi devil duck. I also have a aqua one 1250. I love it no sound whatsoever and lots of room for media. I get my surface agitation for my goldfish tank by using the spray bar that comes with it. I have the spray bay about 1 inch submerged and point the holes upwards towards surface. Creates much more surface agitation compared to the duck bill outlet

I have all the stuff for it somewhere, I'm just lazy ;) On a different tank I ended up turning the outlet hook pipe round so the short bit goes into the flexitube and the long bit goes into the tank, I just haven't got round to turning it round again yet so I can put the attachments on! I might get around to it one day, but I kinda like it coming out halfway - it stirs up the water at the bottom of the tank which is important in deeper tanks particularly when they're as full of plants (current blockers) as mine is, and the full-length bubble wall does the surface :)