Kokos Goldfish Forum
dnalex

Share Your Gel Food Recipes For Floaters

You can add koi clay to the tank?

http://hydra-aqua.com/pond-montmorillonite-clay.html

Is this a good product? Idk about bentonite powder.

This is what is says.

"Features & Advantages

Helps your koi and gold fish look beautiful by adding luster to the white background and deepening colour.

Improves general health of the fish, absorbs toxins including heavy metals, pesticides etc.

Absorbs impurities present in the water and increase water clarity.

Helps your fish feed better by stimulating their appetite.

Pond clay with bentonite powder; includes 78 trace colloidal minerals.

Re-mineralise the pond water by adding trace elements and essential minerals not found in most ornamental ponds."

With 1tbsp for every 4,000 L idk how I'm going to measure that for a 55gal. Any clay brand suggestions?

Yes, you can add koi clay to your tank! I did it for a couple of years, and Lisa is doing it regularly these days.

The only thing that you need to watch out for is that your filter media will require cleaning a tad more often. :)

What about putting it in their food and in the water?

Yes, to both. :)

I'm gonna try this! A few questions, tho:

1. the first recipe says to only use the egg whites, but this one only says eggs. yolks or no?

Either is fine. I've done it both ways. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

2. I'm guessing garlic is the chopped garlic in a jar?

Fresh garlic is best, but chopped is fine. Even powder is acceptable in a pinch. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

3. I read online that you can buy agar in the Asian section of the grocery store. is this true?

I'm not sure if it's available at every grocery store. I know that they have it at Whole Foods. You can also try Asian grocery stores. Failing that, you can try using gelatin.

Another product similar to agar agar is carrageenan.

4. what is koi clay exactly? is it hard to find, expensive, or absolutely necessary?

Koi clay is clay containing the mineral bentonite. It's very good for fish because it binds to a lot of organic toxins. It's not expensive, but it's only available in 1-6 pound sizes. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rofl3.gif

It's not necessary. It's a nice option, but definitely not required. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

sorry for all the questions but I don't wanna mess it up haha

Would it be better on the wallet to just get koi clay instead of the $32 bag of bentonite powder? With shipping the koi clay will cost me over $20 and all the extras in it would do more.

Is agar powder expensive at walmart?

Hey wanted to add my version of gel food.... mostly a modification of the multiple recipes already...total cost was $19 for all the ingredients...

1. 6 oz. low sodium tuna & 4 oz. cooked salmon (leftover from dinner, didn't add into overall price)

2. 2 jars of Gerbers organic baby food (I used peas and carrots)

3. 2 eggs-boiled

4. 2 Tbsp. organic canned pumpkin

5. fresh kale leaves

6. 1 Tbsp. Garlic

7. 1 multivitamin

8. 1 pro biotic tablet (plastic capsule removed)

9. 4 cubes of frozen bloodworms

10. agar-agar flakes

Blend 1,2,3,4. Chop 5 separately and then add to puree. I had to add in some extra spring water to get a consistent puree. Kale leaves should still be visible in small pieces.

Crush 7,8 into powder, set aside. (Easy to do if you crush on tin foil)

Set 9 in little cup at room temp to melt.

Mix 4 Tbsp. 10 into 2 cups spring water, bring to a boil.

Add puree mix and 6.

Low boil for 3-5 mins.

Remove from heat, pour into baking pan and let sit for 15 mins or until temp is below 100 degrees (F).

Add 7,8 powder to now unfrozen blood worms, mix.

Mix into baking pan.

Sit out at room temp for 2 hrs.

Refrig overnight.

Cut into cubes and freeze, then collect in baggie and keep frozen until serve.

Overall prep/cook time was less than an hour and we're on day two and my fatties love them. Freckles has no sign of floatiness and they devour them. I break up the cubes into smaller cubes before I put in tank.

Thanks for the inspiration! Check out girl at the grocery store had a good laugh at my buying baby food for goldfish ;)

What is the benefit of pumpkin?

Hey wanted to add my version of gel food.... mostly a modification of the multiple recipes already...total cost was $19 for all the ingredients...

1. 6 oz. low sodium tuna & 4 oz. cooked salmon (leftover from dinner, didn't add into overall price)

3. 2 eggs-boiled

5. fresh kale leaves

6. 1 Tbsp. Garlic

7. 1 multivitamin

10. agar-agar flakes

Blend 1,2,3,4. Chop 5 separately and then add to puree. I had to add in some extra spring water to get a consistent puree. Kale leaves should still be visible in small pieces.

Add puree mix and 6.

Low boil for 3-5 mins.

Remove from heat, pour into baking pan and let sit for 15 mins or until temp is below 100 degrees (F).

Mix into baking pan.

Refrig overnight.

Overall prep/cook time was less than an hour and we're on day two and my fatties love them. Freckles has no sign of floatiness and they devour them. I break up the cubes into smaller cubes before I put in tank.

Thanks for the inspiration! Check out girl at the grocery store had a good laugh at my buying baby food for goldfish ;)

Pumpkin is beneficial to all pets, cats, dogs, fish etc. It helps with digestion and upset stomachs. For example if your dog is having loose stool you'd feed him pumpkin with his food bc diarrhea is a defense mechanism for the body- when they eat something that doesn't agree with them their body tries to get it out asap which doesn't let the body absorb any nutrients and is why the stool is loose and not solid. Adding the additional fiber from the pumpkin will help to bind their stool and is easy on the tummy due to no added ingredients. For fish organic pumpkin helps to add fiber and solidify their poop - just an overall helpful addition to a regular diet of any animal.

First i guess i dont understand the gel food reason or concept. Is there a reason for making it gel?

My understanding is so that the ingredients hold together and don't foul your tank. The powdery ingredients are bound together with gelatin/and or agar agar to make a fishy mouthful.

3. 2 eggs-boiled

5. fresh kale leaves

6. 1 Tbsp. Garlic

7. 1 multivitamin

10. agar-agar flakes

Add puree mix and 6.

Low boil for 3-5 mins.

Mix into baking pan.

Refrig overnight.

Pumpkin is beneficial to all pets, cats, dogs, fish etc. It helps with digestion and upset stomachs. For example if your dog is having loose stool you'd feed him pumpkin with his food bc diarrhea is a defense mechanism for the body- when they eat something that doesn't agree with them their body tries to get it out asap which doesn't let the body absorb any nutrients and is why the stool is loose and not solid. Adding the additional fiber from the pumpkin will help to bind their stool and is easy on the tummy due to no added ingredients. For fish organic pumpkin helps to add fiber and solidify their poop - just an overall helpful addition to a regular diet of any animal.

Awesome. I remember it being good for dogs so I added it to my gel food.

Oooh just made some more gel food :) just wondering do everyone else's fish poop the same color as the food they eat?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Louise.

That happens to my fish too, and I think that is normal.

:)

That is the norm, yes, that the poop should be the same color as the food.

Can anyone post a picture of the gel food please. I also make food for Goldfish, but unfortunately my food clouds the water.

Recipe

1. 1/2 kg pumpkin gritted and boiled

2. 3 bunches of spinach blanched

3. 3 pcs of carrot blanched

4. 1 capsule multi vitamin

5. 1 capsule of garlic powder

6. 1 bunch ( about 200gms) asparagus blanched

7. 50gms of red chilli powder paste

8. 1 bell of red pepper

I blend it into a paste and pour it into a bowl

and then I add 2 tb spoons of gelatin in water, melt it till its yellow liquid-seperate jar

Pour the water into the mixture and keep it in microwave for 3 min.

Let it cool down and after that keep it in the freezer.

But the only thing is, that when i bring it out and cut it into small pcs its melts and clouds the water.

What wrong am I doing?

Please guide..

Garothmaan, Have you tried adding more gelatin? Also, do you let it set to gel before you put it in the freezer?

So you think I should add more gelatin?

And.. No I simply let it cool down for an hour after mixing and then it goes in the freezer.

Do you have a blender? Try to blend the whole thing really well, and then let it set.

Ok fine... I added agar agar a whole pack about 50gms powder and warmed up for 4 mins. I stirred it well while warming.

Yes I fo have a blender but its already too thin to blend again. Suppose if it doesnot set, then it will melt again (since I am re-doing it again)

A bunch of kale (note I make a lot and freeze it)

1 cup of spinach

1 cup peas

A pack of agar agar

2 tablets of multivitamin

2 egg whites

2 whole packs of frozen "emerald entree"

1/3 cup water

Mix it all in a blender

Then add as much gelatin as you need to create a "thick soup"

Let set in the fridge and ta da!!

I'm using ssaber's recipe and making it right now. I messed up and put the pro biotic into the puree before boiling. Will this be okay?

They might, although you will have a better chance at a koi shop.

health places have it, it is a facial mask treatment lol

also is used as a health food for dogs cats and people

I admit I kinda faked it with my first attempt at gel food since money is tight at the moment. So I just make it with:

Canned pumpkin

A jar of pea/zucchini/spinach baby food

Some additional frozen spinach

Half a green bell pepper

A spoon of diced garlic

A can of sardines in water

A few shakes of paprika

A vitamin tablet

And of course gelatin.

Unfortunately my first attempt sort of disintegrated, so I had to remake it with another packet of gelatin. And the fish just seemed only half interested. Could be just that they'd been nibbling bits off the sponge filter all day, which I'm sure they'll do overnight as well. I hope their apathy is just due to it being something new.

Will try them with the firmer mix tomorrow.

Edited by Phil B.

I admit I kinda faked it with my first attempt at gel food since money is tight at the moment. So I just make it with:

Canned pumpkin

A jar of pea/zucchini/spinach baby food

Some additional frozen spinach

Half a green bell pepper

A spoon of diced garlic

A can of sardines in water

A few shakes of paprika

A vitamin tablet

And of course gelatin.

Unfortunately my first attempt sort of disintegrated, so I had to remake it with another packet of gelatin. And the fish just seemed only half interested. Could be just that they'd been nibbling bits off the sponge filter all day, which I'm sure they'll do overnight as well. I hope their apathy is just due to it being something new.

Will try them with the firmer mix tomorrow.

Good on you Mate.... I used to make it home made back in the days when there wasnt any Gel foods out there.... Keep doing it ... Its fun and they will love it :)

Well they didn't go nuts over it, but the block I added this morning was still gone in a few minutes, with only a few particles left floating in the water. So I guess it'll do.

Of course now they'll be nibbling at the sponges on my filters for the rest of the day. :)

Well they didn't go nuts over it, but the block I added this morning was still gone in a few minutes, with only a few particles left floating in the water. So I guess it'll do.

Of course now they'll be nibbling at the sponges on my filters for the rest of the day. :)

Keep an eye on that filter, I had one fish that kept picking at it and got some pieces off :lol