128 posts in this topic

Hi my recipies are

Spinatch

Carrots mushed

Goldfish flakes

Water

Brocolie

Peas

All mushed together and hen stured to keep the correct consistency and hen put in fridge for half an hour then freezer for half an hour

Oscar. This recipe is incomplete.

1. You did not indicate the amounts.

2. You left out water.

3. You left out a binding agent.

4. I don't know that you actually tested out this food on any floater.

FYI for Alex's recipes: the wheat germ, agar, and koi clay (aka "bentonite clay") can all be bought in bulk at Whole Foods for about $3 total

Hey, thanks for these recipes! I haven't posted much in a long time, but these recipes definitely help me out.

My ranchu has floating problems after eating pellets (I've tried different brands, I've around five sacks of pellet food now..) But gel food seems like a good solution and it seems yummy. :D

I have a question - Which kind of vegetables can I use? I've heard spinach contains too much iron and brocolie can cause bubbles in the poop (something I do not want). I was thinking about carrots and peas, is that okay?

I have a question - Which kind of vegetables can I use? I've heard spinach contains too much iron and brocolie can cause bubbles in the poop (something I do not want). I was thinking about carrots and peas, is that okay?

All things in moderation, including spinach.

I've never bothered to use broccoli, given people's experience.

Okay, thanks :)

I'm pretty sure spinach and broccoli is fine. If it comes from Alex, it should be fine. :)

EDIT: Never noticed there was a new page, so I was on the other page replying to Ute :yikes

Edited by Orandatchi♥

Since a month I also use Agar Agar Gel food because of one of my Redcaps (Bull Redcap).

I got a lot of ideas from here and as a result I made something.......

Any way, read and get my recipe. Let me clarify- I am gonna use European standard for measuring. Sorry for that!

So I used: 100 grams of trout fillet; 75 grams carrot; 75 grams peas; 75 grams red pepper paprika; 50 grams blood worms; 2 cloves of garlic; 1 tablet multivitamins; 1 tablet probiotic; Mineral water; 1 coffee spoon Agar Agar.

First I boiled separately fish for 5-8 min (for all boiling staff I used mineral water). Than I boiled carrot and peas for 15 min till get soft. About red paprika I put it in oven till it get well bake :) After that I put all staff in a bowl - fish, carrots, peas (chopped), red paprika (chopped), blood worm, garlic, 75 ml of mineral water, multivitamin and probiotic. Next is mixer with blender. In separate pot I put 75 ml of water and when the water begins to boil I put 1 coffee spoon of Agar Agar and mix it till get like a syrup. Finally I put Agar Agar "syrup" in the bowl with other staff, mix it again very well and put it in a pan till get cool and then cut it in small pieces. You know that you can store food in the freezer.

The effect of feeding- My goldfish love it :heart And after feeding they are still very active looking for more.

Edited by adnan

I just recently made a small batch of gel food with what I had at home at the time. It included:

Peas

Acidophilus capsule

Canned tuna

Fish pellets

Agar agar

Just thought I would add another recipe that's confirmed not to cause floating. This one I like even better than the original, and it has done away with Pro-Gold :)

Alex's No-Float Yummy Agar Gel Recipe, Part II:

- 8.1 oz low-sodium bagged tuna (3 bags of 2.7 oz each).

- 2 jars (8 oz) Gerbers baby food. For this recipe, I use 1 jar of peas and 1 jar of green beans.

- three eggs

- blend this together until you get a nice purée consistency.

- 4 Tablespoons of toasted (raw is OK, too) wheat germ

- 1/2 teaspoon garlic

- 1/2 teaspoon koi clay

- 1 multivitamin

- 1 probiotic packet

- crush pellets etc. to a powder, add a small amount of water, and mix together. Set aside.

- in a pot with lid, add 3 tablespoons of agar to 2 cups distilled spring/distilled water and turn heat on high

- when the water starts to boil, turn down heat to medium, add puree, wheat germ, koi clay, garlic and stir slowly but well. If you have a whisk, use that.

- cover with lid, turn heat on high again, and let mixture come to a boil

- once boiling, occasionally lift lid to stir mixture, and let boil for about 2 minutes.

- remove from heat

- in about 5-10 minutes, when mixture has not yet congealed and is warm but touchable, add probiotic/vitamin mixture and stir slowly but well. I actually use a meat thermometer to check on the temp of the mix prior to adding this. The temp should be below 110F, so that your vitamins don't get degraded and the probiotics don't get killed.

Pour into pan, let set at room temp first and then transfer to fridge for a few hours. Cut into 1 inch cubes, and freeze. Done :)

Why haven't I tried this? I can't wait to see if this will help my floaty guy. :)

How often can I feed the gel food? Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

You can feed it daily. :)

You can feed it daily. :)

I went out today to get everything but I could only find koi clay in a large amount. It was too expensive. Is koi clay necessary?

It's not at all necessary. It's just a nice optional thing to have.

Let me know how it works out. :)

For the baby food are you using 2 8 oz jars or 8 oz in total?

8 ounces total. :)

I started out doing all peas, but ended up with a 4 ounce jar of peas and one of green beans.

8 ounces total. :)

I started out doing all peas, but ended up with a 4 ounce jar of peas and one of green beans.

Great, I'm going to start making it now. I got peas and squash. Thanks for all your help! I'll let you know if this helps my floater.

I also start out in smaller amounts and turn work up, if you wish to feed more. :)

Good luck!

Had a few questions about making gel food.

1) What is koi clay and is it important?

Can I do without it? If not, is it something one buys at a pet shop?

2) How small do I cut up the pieces when feeding.

My fish are not to big. About 2 1/2 to 3 inches each including tails.

Had a few questions about making gel food.

1) What is koi clay and is it important?

Can I do without it? If not, is it something one buys at a pet shop?

2) How small do I cut up the pieces when feeding.

My fish are not to big. About 2 1/2 to 3 inches each including tails.

1) Koi clay is a sort of detoxifier, since it binds and removes organic toxics. People at koi clay to the water and to the food to help make the water clearer and the fish more brightly colored. It's nice to have, but not a requirement. :) (You may be able to buy it at an LFS, but chances are you will have to order.)

2) Cut into bite sizes, or not. The gel should be soft enough that the fish can bite into in anyway. :)

what brand of multivitamin do you use?

Okay.

I will do my best to find the koi clay, but continue on making the gel food even if I don't find it.

So for "bite size"...I assume you mean fish bite size, not people bite size :P

Thanks Alex.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I just use the regular adult multivitamin.

Okay.

I will do my best to find the koi clay, but continue on making the gel food even if I don't find it.

So for "bite size"...I assume you mean fish bite size, not people bite size :P

:wa:rofl :rofl :rofl

I just use the regular adult multivitamin.

Okay thanks. may have to experiment this weekend! can i use plain gelatin for all the recipes because my local stores dont have it?

Sure you can. In my experience, the gelatin sometimes can contribute to the floatiness, so that's why I used agar. However, it's absolutely fine to try gelatin first. :)

Hey wanted to add my version of gel food.... mostly a modification of the multiple recipes already...total cost was $19 for all the ingredients...

1. 6 oz. low sodium tuna & 4 oz. cooked salmon (leftover from dinner, didn't add into overall price)

2. 2 jars of Gerbers organic baby food (I used peas and carrots)

3. 2 eggs-boiled

4. 2 Tbsp. organic canned pumpkin

5. fresh kale leaves

6. 1 Tbsp. Garlic

7. 1 multivitamin

8. 1 pro biotic tablet (plastic capsule removed)

9. 4 cubes of frozen bloodworms

10. agar-agar flakes

Blend 1,2,3,4. Chop 5 separately and then add to puree. I had to add in some extra spring water to get a consistent puree. Kale leaves should still be visible in small pieces.

Crush 7,8 into powder, set aside. (Easy to do if you crush on tin foil)

Set 9 in little cup at room temp to melt.

Mix 4 Tbsp. 10 into 2 cups spring water, bring to a boil.

Add puree mix and 6.

Low boil for 3-5 mins.

Remove from heat, pour into baking pan and let sit for 15 mins or until temp is below 100 degrees (F).

Add 7,8 powder to now unfrozen blood worms, mix.

Mix into baking pan.

Sit out at room temp for 2 hrs.

Refrig overnight.

Cut into cubes and freeze, then collect in baggie and keep frozen until serve.

Overall prep/cook time was less than an hour and we're on day two and my fatties love them. Freckles has no sign of floatiness and they devour them. I break up the cubes into smaller cubes before I put in tank.

Thanks for the inspiration! Check out girl at the grocery store had a good laugh at my buying baby food for goldfish ;)