dnalex

Share Your Gel Food Recipes For Floaters

128 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I think I'm going to get off of giving my fish flake food and try gel food...

So, I'm just a little confused on a few things if someone could help me...

I have two fancy goldfish, and I was wondering how you would feed them? I know dnalex said something about feeding them 1% of their body weight... But how do you weigh a fish??

Would I have to feed them separately? I ask because my moor usually takes a little longer to find the food than my fantail...

Hi everyone! I think I'm going to get off of giving my fish flake food and try gel food...

So, I'm just a little confused on a few things if someone could help me...

I have two fancy goldfish, and I was wondering how you would feed them? I know dnalex said something about feeding them 1% of their body weight... But how do you weigh a fish??

Would I have to feed them separately? I ask because my moor usually takes a little longer to find the food than my fantail...

Here's a video I made on how to weigh your fish. You just use a kitchen scale :)

For gel food I would aim closer to 2-3% of body weight because it isn't as dense as pellets, so you need to feed more to get the same nutritional value :) You don't have to feed separately, but if you feel like your moor isn't getting his share you can do a couple things:

1. throw food at either side of the tank (distract one at one side of the tank, so the other can get food at the other side of the tank :P)

2. hand feed your moor

3. use a tank divider at feeding time (or just at certain feeding times if you like)

Do you think you could use egg as an emulsifier instead of gelatin or agar agar??

Do you think you could use egg as an emulsifier instead of gelatin or agar agar??

I've used eggs before, but by themselves they aren't enough to bind.

Okay. Awesome. Thanks! Gelatin isn't that expensive anyways. :-)

I know that the forum has a wealth of information of great foods for goldfish, including gel foods. However, I would like to collate some of the info, specifically on gel food that has been tested and verified to work for confirmed floaters. Please share your recipes here :)

I'll start. This is my latest recipe, and I am 100% pleased with it. I've had other recipes that work, but this one by far is the best, simply because I think it gives good nutrition, awesome food consistency, and not even a hint of floatiness, at least for my fish :)

Alex's No-Float Yummy Agar Gel Recipe:

- 6 oz canned or bagged tuna (low sodium is best). Substitute: steamed fresh fish (weigh before steaming).

- 2 jars (8 oz) Gerbers baby food. I've used peas, carrots, and mixed vegetables. Substitute: 4 oz veggies cooked and then puree with 1/2 cup spring or distilled water. (Do not use broccoli [gas] or spinach [interferes with calcium absorption in same food])

- boil two eggs and use only the egg whites

- blend this together until you get a nice thick purée consistency.

- 4 teaspoons of highly quality food like Pro-Gold

- 1 multivitamin

- 1 probiotic tablet

- 1/2 teaspoon garlic

- 1/2 teaspoon koi clay

- crush pellets etc. to a powder, and mix together.

- in a pot with lid, add 2-3 tablespoons of agar to 1.5 cups distilled spring/distilled water and turn heat on high

- add the fish eggs mixture and stir slowly but well

- cover with lid and let mixture come to a boil

- once boiling, occasionally lift lid to stir mixture, and let boil for about 3 minutes.

- remove from heat

- in about 5-10 minutes, when mixture has not yet congealed and is warm but touchable, add powder mixture and stir slowly but well

Pour into baking pan. Leave at room temp for 1 hour. By this time you should see a very well gelled product. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then, cut into 1 inch cubes and freeze. Thaw before using. Thaw enough to feed only for 2-3 days max.

For maintenance, feed 1% body weight daily once or several times a day. For growth, 2% - 3% divided into 3-6 meals/day.

Note on agar: I use 3 teaspoons for my recipe. The texture is relatively hard and the fish will have to chew a bit more. I do this intentionally so that the hogs don't inhale everything. To make it softer, use 2 tablespoons. You must make sure to cook the agar as shown above to ensure melting of agar and binding of the mixture :)

Click here to view the article

Will try! :)

is it tablespoon or teaspoon?

Is which tablespoon or teaspoon?

Is which tablespoon or teaspoon?

for agar agar in Alex's No-Float Yummy Agar Gel Recipe: ie. the first recipe

Tablespoon :)

Is the agar agar what makes these reciepies congeal in lieu of gelatin?

Is the agar agar what makes these reciepies congeal in lieu of gelatin?

yes :)

Does anyone know about how much this recipe (origianl post by dnalex) makes? Or rather, how long one batch would feed my 7 2-inch (on avg) goldies? I need something pretty cost-effective.

Also, does soaking pellet food first really help with floaters? I only have one floaty fish, but it's really bad.

Does anyone know about how much this recipe (origianl post by dnalex) makes? Or rather, how long one batch would feed my 7 2-inch (on avg) goldies? I need something pretty cost-effective.

Also, does soaking pellet food first really help with floaters? I only have one floaty fish, but it's really bad.

Yes, soaking the food does help. :)

My recipe is good for at least 4 months of food, and with the size fish you have, probably 6+ months, although I don't recommend using food past 6 months, even in the freezer :)

Yes, soaking the food does help. :)

My recipe is good for at least 4 months of food, and with the size fish you have, probably 6+ months, although I don't recommend using food past 6 months, even in the freezer :)

Ok, so how long do I soak them? Until they get puffy?

No, that's too long. The maximum I would soak the pellet is 1 minute, but this is very much dependent on the brand. Pro-Gold, which is what I use, only needs about 15-30s, while NLS/Omega probably a full minute.

No, that's too long. The maximum I would soak the pellet is 1 minute, but this is very much dependent on the brand. Pro-Gold, which is what I use, only needs about 15-30s, while NLS/Omega probably a full minute.

I know we're getting off-topic :sorry:: , but do you suggest switching to one of those? I use Aqueon pellets, which I suspect aren't the best quality. I read somewhere that Pro-gold can make white fish turn yellow, and I have a solid white ryukin

Hmmm. I have not personally experienced that myself. I am a huge fan of Pro-Gold. :)

Definitely switch if you can. A bag should last you quite some time! :)

I will have to say this to make sure the point isn't lost. Some fish just do poorly on any commercial pellet/flake foods, because of the high amount of starchy fillers. So, while the higher quality foods may help, they also may not. Your best bet for floaters is to make your own, unfortunately.

Hmmm. I have not personally experienced that myself. I am a huge fan of Pro-Gold. :)

Definitely switch if you can. A bag should last you quite some time! :)

I will have to say this to make sure the point isn't lost. Some fish just do poorly on any commercial pellet/flake foods, because of the high amount of starchy fillers. So, while the higher quality foods may help, they also may not. Your best bet for floaters is to make your own, unfortunately.

Ok, thank you! I may have to try making my own, I feel guilty giving them fillers :no:

Just thought I would add another recipe that's confirmed not to cause floating. This one I like even better than the original, and it has done away with Pro-Gold :)

Alex's No-Float Yummy Agar Gel Recipe, Part II:

- 8.1 oz low-sodium bagged tuna (3 bags of 2.7 oz each).

- 2 jars (8 oz) Gerbers baby food. For this recipe, I use 1 jar of peas and 1 jar of green beans.

- three eggs

- blend this together until you get a nice purée consistency.

- 4 Tablespoons of toasted (raw is OK, too) wheat germ

- 1/2 teaspoon garlic

- 1/2 teaspoon koi clay

- 1 multivitamin

- 1 probiotic packet

- crush pellets etc. to a powder, add a small amount of water, and mix together. Set aside.

- in a pot with lid, add 3 tablespoons of agar to 2 cups distilled spring/distilled water and turn heat on high

- when the water starts to boil, turn down heat to medium, add puree, wheat germ, koi clay, garlic and stir slowly but well. If you have a whisk, use that.

- cover with lid, turn heat on high again, and let mixture come to a boil

- once boiling, occasionally lift lid to stir mixture, and let boil for about 2 minutes.

- remove from heat

- in about 5-10 minutes, when mixture has not yet congealed and is warm but touchable, add probiotic/vitamin mixture and stir slowly but well. I actually use a meat thermometer to check on the temp of the mix prior to adding this. The temp should be below 110F, so that your vitamins don't get degraded and the probiotics don't get killed.

Pour into pan, let set at room temp first and then transfer to fridge for a few hours. Cut into 1 inch cubes, and freeze. Done :)

I'm gonna try this! A few questions, tho:

1. the first recipe says to only use the egg whites, but this one only says eggs. yolks or no?

2. I'm guessing garlic is the chopped garlic in a jar?

3. I read online that you can buy agar in the Asian section of the grocery store. is this true?

4. what is koi clay exactly? is it hard to find, expensive, or absolutely necessary?

sorry for all the questions but I don't wanna mess it up haha

I'm gonna try this! A few questions, tho:

1. the first recipe says to only use the egg whites, but this one only says eggs. yolks or no?

Either is fine. I've done it both ways. :)

2. I'm guessing garlic is the chopped garlic in a jar?

Fresh garlic is best, but chopped is fine. Even powder is acceptable in a pinch. :)

3. I read online that you can buy agar in the Asian section of the grocery store. is this true?

I'm not sure if it's available at every grocery store. I know that they have it at Whole Foods. You can also try Asian grocery stores. Failing that, you can try using gelatin.

Another product similar to agar agar is carrageenan.

4. what is koi clay exactly? is it hard to find, expensive, or absolutely necessary?

Koi clay is clay containing the mineral bentonite. It's very good for fish because it binds to a lot of organic toxins. It's not expensive, but it's only available in 1-6 pound sizes. :rofl

It's not necessary. It's a nice option, but definitely not required. :)

sorry for all the questions but I don't wanna mess it up haha

I see (as I expected) that they don't sell koi clay at Petsmart, Petco, etc. Would a LFS have it?

They might, although you will have a better chance at a koi shop.

Hi my recipies are

Spinatch

Carrots mushed

Goldfish flakes

Water

Brocolie

Peas

All mushed together and hen stured to keep the correct consistency and hen put in fridge for half an hour then freezer for half an hour