dnalex

Share Your Gel Food Recipes For Floaters

126 posts in this topic

I know that the forum has a wealth of information of great foods for goldfish, including gel foods. However, I would like to collate some of the info, specifically on gel food that has been tested and verified to work for confirmed floaters. Please share your recipes here :)

I'll start. This is my latest recipe, and I am 100% pleased with it. I've had other recipes that work, but this one by far is the best, simply because I think it gives good nutrition, awesome food consistency, and not even a hint of floatiness, at least for my fish :)

Alex's No-Float Yummy Agar Gel Recipe:

- 6 oz canned or bagged tuna (low sodium is best). Substitute: steamed fresh fish (weigh before steaming).

- 2 jars (8 oz) Gerbers baby food. I've used peas, carrots, and mixed vegetables. Substitute: 4 oz veggies cooked and then puree with 1/2 cup spring or distilled water. (Do not use broccoli [gas] or spinach [interferes with calcium absorption in same food])

- boil two eggs and use only the egg whites

- blend this together until you get a nice thick pur?e consistency.

- 4 teaspoons of highly quality food like Pro-Gold

- 1 multivitamin

- 1 probiotic tablet

- 1/2 teaspoon garlic

- 1/2 teaspoon koi clay

- crush pellets etc. to a powder, and mix together.

- in a pot with lid, add 2-3 tablespoons of agar to 1.5 cups distilled spring/distilled water and turn heat on high

- add the fish eggs mixture and stir slowly but well

- cover with lid and let mixture come to a boil

- once boiling, occasionally lift lid to stir mixture, and let boil for about 3 minutes.

- remove from heat

- in about 5-10 minutes, when mixture has not yet congealed and is warm but touchable, add powder mixture and stir slowly but well

Pour into baking pan. Leave at room temp for 1 hour. By this time you should see a very well gelled product. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then, cut into 1 inch cubes and freeze. Thaw before using. Thaw enough to feed only for 2-3 days max.

For maintenance, feed 1% body weight daily once or several times a day. For growth, 2% - 3% divided into 3-6 meals/day.

Note on agar: I use 3 teaspoons for my recipe. The texture is relatively hard and the fish will have to chew a bit more. I do this intentionally so that the hogs don't inhale everything. To make it softer, use 2 tablespoons. You must make sure to cook the agar as shown above to ensure melting of agar and binding of the mixture :)

Click here to view the article

Edited by dnalex

This is the recipe I use :)

1 fillet of salmon or tilapia (cooked)

1 jar of baby food - peas

3 tbsp canned pumpkin (no other additives)

1/2 red pepper (chopped)

2-3 leaves of kale (large middle stem removed)

1 tablet acidophilus

1 multivitamin tablet (crushed)

1/2-1 tsp garlic

1 cup spring water

1 tbsp agar agar powder

1/2 tsp koi clay

- Cook fish and soften kale and red pepper in some boiling spring water.

- Put all ingredients in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup spring water. Puree using a hand blender or regular blender.

- Boil a 1/2 cup of springwater in a pot and add the agar agar slowly. Pour the puree into the pot and mix well.

- Pour mixture into a baking pan and put in refrigerator to set.

- Cut it into into small cubes and transfer to a baking sheet. Put baking sheet in freezer until gel food is frozen.

- Put gel food into ziploc bags and freeze.

Link us to your video, too, tithra :)

I am on Tapatalk and I can only read like the first 1/4 of dnalex post before it turns a weird light grey color and I can't make out what it says... And I do not see a link posted for Tithra's video. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Also... What is koi clay?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Charms, force Tapatalk to close and re-open. Otherwise, you can turn phone off and back on again. It should work.

I can't see the link to the video either. I wish I wasn't so lazy, or I would go and make more gel food :rofl

What a great idea! I just copied and saved these to my "fish files". I am going to use agar agar (once I can figure out what it is called in Korean) the next time I make gel food. I don't have a floater now, but it seems that it would be good to use as a preventative. Thank you!

Try this, spillie

한천 한천

(hancheon hancheon)

Edited by dnalex

Alex, I believe you are the Secret Master of the Universe! I am not even going to ask how you know how to say agar agar in Korean (!) As a mere mortal, I simply humbly accept your wisdom. Thanks! :)

:rofl :rofl

Google translate tells me it's something like "hansun hansun" :)

anyone know of any places online or in Australia that sells some of these things like pro-biotics and multivitamins? I think I might be able to find the agar agar in one of my health store things. Also any online shops that sell koi clay? thanks :)

Your health store should also sell probiotics (acidophilus tablets) and multivitamins (human regular daily vitamin tablet). The koi clay you may have to order online, or you could look up some of the Australian koi groups and ask. They may be able to help more :)

thanks :) I want to make some gel food in a few weeks once my fish have settled in. Yeah, I had a feeling koi clay might be hard to find but I will see if my local aquarium shop will be able to get some in for me :)

is koi clay really needed? can't find it anywhere

is koi clay really needed? can't find it anywhere

You can absolutely leave it out. Some people here have found it to help with floaty fish, but regular agar agar based gel food (or even a gel based food) is enough to ward off floaties for many fish.

cool thread and i like the video. Tithra, would it be easier for you to pour the mix into ice trays after you blend it? this way you can eliminate a few steps there at the end. I do that with my sugar glider food... just a suggestion, i have not tried gel food yet. I cant stand the smell of cooked fish

cool thread and i like the video. Tithra, would it be easier for you to pour the mix into ice trays after you blend it? this way you can eliminate a few steps there at the end. I do that with my sugar glider food... just a suggestion, i have not tried gel food yet. I cant stand the smell of cooked fish

I've thought about that but I think the ice cube shape is too big for my liking. I like to cut it into really small pieces so I can pull out just a couple at a time.

Anybody else with recipes to share? Fang? Helen? Federica? :)

Thought I might share my Gelatin-based gel food recipe! :)

1 cup of chopped red capsicum

1 cup blanched peas without skin

1/2 cup of frozen spinach

1 cup of cos lettuce blend chopped up without stems

3 tbsp of pumpkin

1tsp of minced garlic

1 salmon fillet

4 tsp of gelatin

1 probiotic tablet- acidopholus (inner health plus)

1 multi vitamin (natures own)

filtered/ spring water

Cook salmon fillet in boiling water and add vegetables to it and garlic to soften. Mix and allow the vegetables and spinach to soften.

Add entire contents into strainer and put into bowl. Add 1/2 cup of water to the bowl of food and blend until it is a purée. Add probiotic tablet powder and add crushed multi vitamin to the mixture and blend/mix again. Add 1/2 cup of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add three table spoons of gelatin slowly and mix until fully dissolved. Add the gelatin mixture to the food and mix together. Pour in a container and put to set in fridge for about 3-4 hours. Take out of the fridge and cut into squares. Put on pan and freeze for a few hours then transfer into containers. Take out enough squares of gel food for two days and put in fridge.

Mine seem to like the garlic, and since gelatin is not a laxitive product like agar. I have added in the spinach as well as the peas :) Thinking of adding some crushed pellet food as I am having trouble feeding my fussy eater new foods -_-

:)

I find this topic interesting. First i guess i dont understand the gel food reason or concept. Is there a reason for making it gel? or is it just the ingredents that use for the anti floating properties that make it gel? I make alot of the food i feed my fish but never add anything to make it gel. I only have one ryukin that likes to get floaty. When I feed my homemade green mix it helps alot though. My buddy and I usually get together and make around 30-40 lbs of food when we do it every few months.

Edited by Patti

Patti, what's your green mix? Do you turn it into pellets? I'm curious now.

It has been in my experience that goldfish become floaty as the result of sort an allergic response to the starchy fillers in the commercial foods. When gel food is made, there is none of that. Also, the agar that I use to make the food is very fibrous and a great laxative. Gel food is great, because you can still load it up with proteins and veggies.

Floaty fish also do well with things like live and frozen foods. Again, no fillers.

Oops, I bought Agar-Agar to try and make some gel food. Should've read the recipes first. I didn't buy the power, but the strings. Does anyone have any experience using these? How much of it do I use??? Can I grind it into a powder?