Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cockroach

53 gph filter on 10 gallon?

I found a super cute little fish at Petsmart that I am going to buy if they still have it next time I am there but the only filter I have for my quarantine tank is only 53 gph. Will this be ok for a few weeks when the fish is in quarantine? It is only about 1" including the tail and the tank is a 10 gallon.

It's not optimal, but I would say that it's doable for the short period of time you are talking about...you can help things along by doing daily water changes (best when QTing in any case), feeding minimally and only once per day, and test your parameters often.

It probably will be fine, especially when it is only a very small fish. Daily water changes will surely help too. In addition you could always try yourself on making a small sponge filter for additional biological filtration. What I like about these things is that when you make it right, you can just always (whenever you need it) use some seeded floss from your main tank, and return it when you don't need the sponge filter anymore. Just store the remaining parts away, and it costs basically nothing to make one. I assume you already have an air pump, so all you need is a cheap ceramic tile, a piece of pvc pipe, aquarium silicone, a drill and rubberbands. :)

i used a small one in my ten gallon, about 50 gph, for stewie and bernie (seperate times) and it worked out fine

Thanks everyone, I'll see about setting up a sponge filter.