Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RyukinFan

The ideal tank size for raising fry

Hi,

I'm looking into breeding my ryukins/fantails within the next year and was wondering if there was any advice on the ideal size of tank with fry and then with young goldfish?

Thanks in advance.

I know too deep is suppose to be bad for the fry, but mine grew really well in a 300 gallon stock tank full of green water. Food for fry tends to pollute the water real fast and need cleaning almost constantly if they are kept indoors and fed...I fed those little bites and fresh hatch brine, and I would have strings of fungus forming in a matter of an hour or two. And If I tried to put in a filter with a spong pad over it, they would get sucked to it. If you can plan ahead and get a tank growing with green water its way easier but thats just my opinion =)

Yes, I heard they do well in ponds, so green water is a good idea. Isn't that done with ammonia and sunlight? I might try it. Thanks for the input.

Are there any breeders out there that may know?

I think it is not so much a question of tank size as of water quality. Many breeders keep a huge amount of fry in tanks, and perform daily or twice daily huge water changes.

If you have more water volume per individual fry, you can get away with much less water changes.

If there is any such thing as "ideal" I would guess it is the same as for an adult - 10 gallon per fish. That way you ensure the fish has enough room and good quality from the very beginning, and can grow rapidly and healthy. :)

Of course this is not very realistic when you have for example 500 fry and no pond. You'd need a 5.000 gallon tank.

Then keep in mind that if you breed, you will likely not keep all fry. If you cull them like breeders do, you will eventually end up with 5-10% of what originally hatched.

So you could count the fry that hatch, divide it by 10 to have a basic idea of the fry you will eventually have, and then multiply by 10 again for the water volume needed for them to grow up in.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks Fang, the last paragraph was some good advice, so long as I get good results I reckon I will cull to keep numbers down and quality as high as possible. I'm not looking to keep all the fish I rear, will most probably pass some on to friends.

Thanks

You're welcome!

And of course you won't keep them all, but even when you don't keep them all, you need the room for them to grow out healthily.

You could also keep them in a much smaller container, like a 55gallon tank, and perform daily big water changes. That is probably a lot more manageable :)

I have been growing around a 100 in a 55 changing almost all the water everyday.

Ok, thanks, I reckon I'll look into buying a large second-hand koi vat and put it in the shed, so that they have the maximum room possible!

Sounds good. You'll probably need a heater to keep the temp out there constant. I agree on the GW if you possibly can cultivate some. It is such a great start in life for fancy fishes' delicate swim bladders.

Changing water before the fry are 4 weeks old was always a huge challenge for me as their backs can get bent easily with a sudden rough wave and it has to be done so slowly and carefully before the skeleton hardens up and the fry is stronger after about 4-5 weeks. Yes it has to be done but obviously water in a larger space will stay fresher longer and accumulate less waste than a smaller water volume.

I agree with trinket the more water volume the better. I am just limited to what i have in my basement if I could get a large vat down my stairs i would.

Edited by Patti

Sounds brilliant thanks, I will try to get green water. Is that just done with ammonia and sunlight?

I think lots of bubbles, lots of sunlight and some ammonia to start it...I never messed with ammonia. I just drained off old tank water that I knew was semi cycled from my other tanks into it every time I did a WC. put it out in partial sun/partial shade with lots of bubbles.