Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andra

My oranda has a strange lumb growing above his nose

Hi I read a pretty good article on cutting wen of orandas in one of Kokos forums.

My big fish Pony started growing a strange lumb on his face. I can see it irritates him to have that thing in front of his nose all the time. My question is can i cut it off just like cutting wen?

her's a pic of my boy

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

greetz Andra

Hello Andra.

Welcome to kokos :)

Have you ever cut wen before? It's a fatty tissue and it is quite different from the lump here I think.

IMO, this lump looks like a viral growth and you can see the blood vessels running through it. If you cut it, like you can wen, I think there might be quite a lot of blood and a high risk of infection.

I'm going to move your thread to the diagnosis and discussion forum as there are people over there that will help you talk this through some more :) There is also a white box there (above your first post) with a list of questions to answer (like you woudl at the docs) just so we can get a good picture of your set up, water and the fishes behavior :)

I'm not very experienced, so I can't offer any help. Sending healing vibes to Pony though!

yep I agree this looks like it might be better off in d&d ;) hope he feels better asap :)

I don't think that is wen tissue :(

tx for all your answers so far!

Andra

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature? 19 degrese
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 140 ltr 3 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? out of the aquarium filter (its under the tank)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1x 2wks 40 ltr

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? few days ago 40 ltr
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 one is 15cm and one is 8cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? sinking tetra goldfish
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? the smaller one a week ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 3 years ago sha 2000
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? sometimes they both take a nap at the bottom and then they swim around

greetz Andra

hello Andra and welcome to koko's.

i am sorry to see that your fish is experiencing this unusual growth, i agree with others that it does not appear to be wen growth.. we do require the following information so that we know how to proceed with medication if needed. without knowing this, some medication we may suggest can make matters worse for your fish..

• * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

a few things i would like to ask..

firstly, the growth appears to be very close to the nasal passage. can you determine if this growth is coming out of the nostril of the fish or if it's the actual nostril flap that has become inflamed for some reason.. for example, take a look to see if the fish has two identical nostril flaps or if one is now the growth you see.

secondly, how long has this growth been this size? has it grown fast in a short time?

Hi the nitrite is somewhat higher than usual cause of a new filter system 0,3 mg/L

The other measures like nitrate , ammonia and ph i dont know how to measure .

The growth looks like nostril growth somehow. It doesnt come out of his nose. At first I thought he was growing pompons but its too big for that and just at one side.

I also noticed he has a lot of redness in his tail.

I think increasing your water changes to 50-80% every week is already a good start. If it is viral you want to try and avoid exposing the other fish to high amounts of it.

Do you ever use aquarium salt? I think 0.1-0.2% will help in terms of redness and boost the immunity a bit.

I wouldn't cut this lump because I fear it will bleed a lot. I am not sue how you can put stitches on a fish :)

Hi Swiss Miss what does that mean if he has redness in his tail?

tx Andra

Looks like a tumor

Andra,

apologies, i haven't visited here for a bit. i will see what i can find on this.. it's very important though, that we understand all of the water parameters. it is critical to know this so that we understand how to advise you on treatment once we are comfortable with the information you provide.

can you take a water sample from the tank and your tap (two seperate water samples) and ask the local fish shop to test for:

Ammonia

Nitrates

Nitrites

PH

if possible KH and GH..

if they will only test one sample, please choose that they test the tank water sample and disregard the sample direct from the tank.

they should use a drops test kit, write all the numbers down to each parameter.

Hi Swiss Miss what does that mean if he has redness in his tail?

tx Andra

The redness in the fins could be caused from stress from either recently being moved, poor water quality or bacteria. Like Helen said, take a sample to your local fish store and ask that they test it. Most should do it for no charge and do make sure that they use drops because they are more accurate than the strips.

I think you should try to do two 80% water changes back to back to help get levels down and if you have Seachem's Prime, use that as your water conditioner. Its good stuff :) Of course make sure you get a sample BEFORE you do this so that we can get readings.

We need those numbers so we can better help :) The water params help us figure out what is going on in the tank.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask, did you mean that your nitrItes were higher or that your nitrAtes are higher?

Edited by Ashley

it looks really similiar to this Orandas growth