Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.B

.3% salt and my cycle, a love story.

Sorry for the title. I'm feeling cheesy this morning. Ok moving on...

So I have a fish who i am treating for nitrate poisoning/brown blood disease. She is in her own tank and I am doing daily WC 40% to 50%. Trinket recomended that she be in a cycled tank, which she is. She also recomended that I raise the salt level to .3%, which I did.

I thought that .3% salt would cause a cycle crash and this made me wonder why the cycled tank was so important. After being at .3% for 24 hrs my ammonia level was around .25ppm and I thought that the cycle was on the way out. Today I tested and ammonia was back to 0. Both days nitrites were at 0 and nitrates were at 5 but that is from the water source I believe.

Was this just a bump or can the cycle still crash? I intend to check parameters daily for a while, but thought I'd ask for input too. Thanks. :)

I would still check daily, of course, but I think you've just had your bump/crash lol.

At 0.3% salt, some people have had complete crashes or little bumps, while with yet others nothing happens. That's why we recommend that with salt, it's important just to check :)

I'm glad it's working out well. How is the fish doing?

I think maybe-possible a bit better?? The vien in her dorsal fin seems less noticable. Going to do a WC In a fe minutes and I will put her in the bowl for pics. This is the only way I can really tell. Will post themin a bit.

You're not going to be able to tell until you test again :)

Salt can be really help for dealing with cycling stress in fish though, so hopefully your water params will be a-ok! :)

Day two no ammonia. Gonna keep testing but I am happy so far.