Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Spyromon

Goldfish with T-shape tail

16 posts in this topic

hi guys,

I have bought a telescope eye goldfish with a very weird tail. I looks like it has a joined tail but it actually does a T shape (upside down). I've read goldfish books and looked everywhere on the web about info on this type of tail. Does anyone have any info on this? Is it a new breed? I will provide photo later on. Thanks in advance.

Let me make it more clear. The tail is not connected only on the top to create a pyramid shape.

It actually is one single fin going down to the middle and then 2 other fins split up. Creating the shape T upside down.

The goldfish is a tricolor (or nacreus) telescope eye. I will add photos when i can.

I have heard of something called web-tail but don't know this is that case.

Sounds like it's an incomplete double tail split. Someone recently posted pics of this, and called it a "tripod" tail :)

welcome to koko's spyromon,

i would be interested in seeing the pics too when you manage to upload them.

hi guys, sorry didn't had time to take photos and also the mobile does not take good photos. I will try to record video and take photos from a camera.

here are 2 videos. Have a look and tell me guys. Thanks in advance.

and some photos as promised:

Also note that with this type of tail the goldfish seems to be able to seem better on all direction than the normal fantails.

It's a normal tail (4 lobe) but the top two lobes have not split. As dnalex mentioned. I had a fantail with the same. Top lobes were joined from top of lobes and about 1/2 way through those lobes (like tissue paper stuck together) Yours looks like they are joined all the way making it look like one lobe. :) Very pretty fish :)

Edited by Red

It's a normal tail (4 lobe) but the top two lobes have not split. As dnalex mentioned. I had a fantail with the same. Top lobes were joined from top of lobes and about 1/2 way through those lobes (like tissue paper stuck together) Yours looks like they are joined all the way making it look like one lobe. :) Very pretty fish :)

thanks Red. I have only had these new goldfish for a month and are so smart and cute.

Everyone has given you the exact answer! In the breeding world we call those "tripod tails" like Alex said...usually a cull unless they have a superb body or other redeeming qualities.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a breeder cuz I don't think I could have culled that! It's not perfection but it is adorable! Thanks for the pics and video.

thanks guys and girls for all your comments. I also have a big aquarium with some big goldfish and 3 koi but haven't added any photos or videos of that yet. I will try and add some on my profile later.

Everyone has given you the exact answer! In the breeding world we call those "tripod tails" like Alex said...usually a cull unless they have a superb body or other redeeming qualities.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not a breeder cuz I don't think I could have culled that! It's not perfection but it is adorable! Thanks for the pics and video.

Thats special! never seen it before.

welcome to koko's spyromon,

i would be interested in seeing the pics too when you manage to upload them.

Sounds like it's an incomplete double tail split. Someone recently posted pics of this, and called it a "tripod" tail :)

I myself dont have much experience with these rare breeds, but you dont need an expert to see that that is a beautiful fish! Cheers!