Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
us4298

Betta tank with live plants and no filter?

There are many people who suggest doing so, and since my Betta's tail is getting harmed because of the baffler on my filter, I am deciding to give it a shot. As of now, I have 2 Bettas, one in each divided side of my 5.5 gallon tank. There are also 6 bunches of Anubias Nana. What kind of plants do you suggest? and how much plants should I get?

Does your tank have a hood or light? if so...amazon swords are a favorite of mine in a Betta tank,water sprite is another good one,cryps,vals, check out this link for some helpful suggestions...http://www.plantedtank.net/

Yea I have a LED light for my tank. It does not pack too much power but its enough to make my anubias nana propagate. Wouldnt a amazon sword be too big?

An amazon sword will get rather large. Also plants are going to make a lot of detritus materials that can in fact up your nitrates if you don't carefully clean the bottom of the tank often so be careful of that. High nitrates can cause tail issues.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.689650,-81.742617

I would add some anacharis and bacopa caroliniana. I just really fell in love with them even more than I already did. Both are fast growing, which means they consume more ammonia etc than slower growing plants. Both of them are hardy and undemanding.

I personally (because I love these plants :D ) would order the following off plantedaquariumscentral.com:

2 bunches anacharis (12+ stems)

2 bunches bacopa caroliniana (12+ stems)

1 bunch narrow leaf anacharis (6+ stems)

Including shipping this will be roughly $ 25 for 30 plant stems. All of these grow very fast and reproduce on their own. You can trim the plants when they get too tall (which will happen within weeks) and replant the trimmings to grow even more plants.

If you want to keep a small filter in there for a tad of water movement (really barely any, I had this filter in my 2.5g) and a little bit of biological filtration, I would recommend trying the Tetra Whisper 3i. This filter is for up to 3 gallons, and it is powered with an air pump, which comes with it.

http://pet.imageg.ne...S-3762568dt.jpg

On the left pic you see the air line going to the bottom of the filter intake, and the uprising bubbles pull a small amount of water with them, which then goes past the bio media (I just stuck a small piece of floss from my big tank in there instead of their bio bag). The splash is in reality much less than it seems on this picture, and the suction at the intake is minimal. It only costs like 10 bucks at Petsmart, and in combination with the plants, this will probably work out well.

It basically is nothing but a fancy looking sponge filter, and it will gently move the water around (many plants need a certain amount of water movement for nutrient distribution, I had hardy plants die off in my 2.5g because there was too little water movement).

EDIT: Wow, spelling is not my strength this morning.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

You well need a ton of plants to get away with this. And the top of the water may get a film on it. I would at least have a very small bublier to keep the top moving. And add twice as many plants as fang listed. Also replant stems as you trim so that you have your tank at least 50% full of plants or more. If you like moss you can do a moss wall on the divider.

This well keep your tank water in great condition. Over time you well even be able to do less water changs. But at first till the plants are well extablised still do the weekly water change.

Good luck

And add twice as many plants as fang listed.

This is more a question for myself than this topic: You mean even WITH the mini filter (which is what I meant), there still should be that many plants in there? Because if so, I need to go and either place an order at PAC or raid my 55g :rofl

I was refering to just using a small bubble stone. I have two 10 gallon filters on my 55 but no media. I just need some water movement. But it did take time for me to get this balance just right. And the more plants the better. Some may not even survive in your set up. So the more plants you start with the better changes using no filter well work.

Or you can do it slow like I did and just buy a few plants at a time. But them you would still need the filter with media till you get the right balance.

A five gallon is a great tank to start learning about plants and what well work with your water.

Ok, I gotcha! :) Whew, I'm fine then! :D

I do have a small internal filter which is powered by a 10 gallon air pump. I can use that as the filter with the new plan. Also, is is possible to put in Ech. uruguayensis? There are several sources that say that this plant is smaller than all the other Amazons.

I have a small sword in my 5 gallon and so far it is doing fine. Not to big for the tank. But I am ready to move it if it does get to big. Even my big sword shrank when I moved it to the 55. So it also depends on lighting and stuff as to how big it well get.

I am "training" a sword to be small. What I am doing is periodically cutting off the biggest leaf at the very base. (when I started, I used my smallest swords and cut 2 or 3 leaves the very first time, as I recall). Somehow, this seems to keep the plant smaller--I've been doing this for about 6-8 weeks now, and it seems to be working. I have one in my betta tank and one in my big tank.