Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

Clear poop?

Hey guys! please forgive me for posting so often. especially these past few weeks. I've been very stressed out lately about saving up for a larger tank, which i finally got today! it took a LOT of work to set up, and i was super releived when i finished. but now little bert is having clear poop, and now i have another thing to worry about. isn't that just dandy? :(

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrite Level? Idk sorry:(

[*]Nitrate level? Idk sorry:(

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Idk sorry:(

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? I have an ammonia drop test kit and hope to get the complete one soon!

[*]Water temperature? usually around 65-75 degrees fahrenheit

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25 gallons, one hour (filter has been running for 3 months)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? top fin 10 (i am ordering an AC 70 tonight, the current filter is off my 10g tank)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? well on my old tank, 30% 2x a week, but on prazi just 50% every 5 days. i don't know how much to change on my new tank each week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldfish, 1" each (tail not included)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? presoaked tetrafin goldfish flakes every morning with the exception of their weekly fasting day, and peas and garlic the day after.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? I've had both for about 1 month now.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazipro

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope! :)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nope! :)

is the clear poop just from stress from switching tanks today? is it from the prazi? or is it something more serious? it was just a short clear poop, about 1.5 cm long.

a number of factors could be the reason.. stress from moving and also an uncycled filter can both cause this as well as other reasons. for an uncylced filter, you need to be doing daily water changes of 50% or more.

i would begin feeding the fish peas for few days and see if that settles the problem.. but i would really be doing daily water changes of 50% or more until that filter cycles.

nonono, my filter is cycled:) my tap water has 0.25 ammonia...forgot to mention that! i will feed peas tomorrow, as today was their weekly fasting day!

Sorry to jump in, but I just want to clarify, Mandie has an ammonia drop test kit and has been testing ammonia daily. Ammonia has not gone above the .25 ppm in her tap (she is using Prime to deal with the .25). I have asked her to take a water sample to test for nitrites/nitrates, she was unable get numbers for nitrite/nitrate the most recent time her water was tested (she was told nitrite is 'perfect' and nitrate is 'slightly high', but perfect is all relative when we are talking about petsmart.

The last time she got numbers, nitrite was 0ppm and nitrates we 5 ppm with the last water change having been 4 days ago.

Here is a link to the current thread: http://www.kokosgold...ts-on-his-tail/

Edited by tithra

tithra, no need to apologise at all, if you are familiar with the history, then your contribution is very valuable and thank you :) i will read the thread now and if you have anything further to contribute here, please do so :)

oh my! that thread was like wowsers long!.. but, very good, tithra, you did an amazing job :) good work..

mandy, i think, yes, your fish has been through a lot, all good.. for now, i would suggest you change nothing but feed peas instead of anything else. i would think that this will help settle the fish's poop situation.

were there bubbles in the poop? or was it just clear fluid with a white/opaque housing?

oh my! that thread was like wowsers long!.. but, very good, tithra, you did an amazing job good work..

Wasn't she amazing?! :thumbs:

Aw, thanks guys :)

Yep:) thanks to her, Ernie's tail is speckle-free!!

oh my! that thread was like wowsers long!.. but, very good, tithra, you did an amazing job :) good work..

mandy, i think, yes, your fish has been through a lot, all good.. for now, i would suggest you change nothing but feed peas instead of anything else. i would think that this will help settle the fish's poop situation.

were there bubbles in the poop? or was it just clear fluid with a white/opaque housing?

Nope, no bubbles. Just a clear short poop. It look completely normal other than the color. I will feed peas for the next 2 days or so. :) I hope he gets better soon! Thx guys!:)

fingers crossed, and i am pretty confident it will :)

Maybe I should switch from flakes to sinking pellets...I have heard they're better. Maybe that would make a difference. Is there a procedure I should know for switching food? Will they like go into shock or something if I just switch like that on them? Will it stress them out? How can I safely switch to sinking pellets? I'm thinking omega one sinking pellets from petsmart. Is that the best petsmart one?

Maybe I should switch from flakes to sinking pellets...I have heard they're better. Maybe that would make a difference. Is there a procedure I should know for switching food? Will they like go into shock or something if I just switch like that on them? Will it stress them out? How can I safely switch to sinking pellets? I'm thinking omega one sinking pellets from petsmart. Is that the best petsmart one?

Switching to pellets is definitely a good idea! I haven't used Omega One, but I think some people here use and like that brand. Another one you might be able to find in stores that people like is New Life Spectrum (NLS) sinking goldfish pellets. I saw it at Pet*co once.

Is there any special way to accustom the guys to the new food before beginning to feed only pellets? And do I need to soak then before feeding?

it's always wise to soak commercial foods like pellets or flakes prior to feeding. this way, the air from within is released from the foods prior to feeding and there is less chance of your fish experiencing floatiness. also, you will see how much the food expands when soaked, it's so easy to overfeed with pellets when they're not presoaked.

there is nothing else that needs to be done, it's ok to just change their food from one feed to the next.. much like feeding them variety.

Ok:) sounds good! How many pellets should I feed them each day? I will get the small ones. Should I feed flakes from time to time just for variety?

Also, is this normal: I fed them peas this morning, and after that they swam around only on the bottom for like 20 minutes. They're swimming around now, but I'm wondering if they were just digesting, or if something else is up. :)

Sorry...I ask a LOT of questions!

Edited by pandamanda111