Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Filter recommendation

Hi all! I have a lavender betta (crowntail I think) named Roy Miller. He is currently in a 'Petco Pet Keeper for Aquarium Fish' 3 or 3.5g I believe. I want to add a filter and turn it into a small planted tank for him. Filter suggestions? He's prone to getting trapped against a filter intake because of those big fins... or is there a small tank kit that comes w/ everything that is suitable, including a light? I'd love to keep him in a bigger tank setup but in my small apartment space is limited. And the 3 bettas are in the kitchen - separately of course. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Edited by Charms

I have recently bought a filter for my 2.5 gallon betta tank, and I love it. It is the Whisper in tank filter 3i http://c2.wag.com/im.../upg-257_1z.jpg

It works with this tiny air pump that comes with it, similar to a sponge filter. The air bubbles go up the tube at the bottom of the filter, and when rising up they pull water with them through the media. I removed the little cartridge that comes with it, and instead took some floss and a few ceramic rings from my goldfish tank, and seeded the betta filter this way.

It is a weak filter, but good enough for a small betta setup. The only thing you need to get is a valve to prevent water backflow in case of a power outage. The filter costs only around $ 12 at Petsmart.

It causes barely any current, while at the same time it keeps the water from becoming stagnant, and it doesn't use much room either. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I have a marineland eclipse 3 gallon tank. It is perfect for one betta.

Or whisper makes a small filter for about $10. It is powered by an air pump.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I just got the fluval chi tank. I LOVE the way it looks. Comes with everything you need except the heater. I got mine for $50.

I have the little aqua clear 20 in my betta tank, I love it because you can adjust the flow to fit the needs of your tank/betta :) And like all aqua clears it comes with great media and has room for more.

EDIT: mine is a 5 gallon tank

Edited by tithra

I second the Azoo Palm filter. My bettas have always liked them. Another one that I've had my eye on but haven't tried yet is the Elite Stingray filter.http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Stingray-Submersible-Filter-Gallon/dp/B0009YF47G It is submersible which I like for a betta tank I think it disturbs the water less. I had a Whisper submersible in a 20 gallon tropical set up that I put together for my mom's classroom and I like the water flow, and her betta doesn't seem bothered by it.

So turns out I have a 'Red Sea Nano-filter'.. was in a box given to hubby by a neighbor that he forgot about. Bonus, right?? So while setting it up this morning... I dropped it and now its not working!! Wwaahhhh!! :(

Hubby found a small piece of the filter on the floor so maybe it'll work when reunited w/ that piece (fingers crossed!) Also is it safe to put a heater in this type of tank/container? Is one necessary?