Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rhorizon74

My 2 Ryukins

Potentially nice fish. I think they are a bit thin and personally I don't like the 'tail fin root' .. don't know the correct English term but the muscle at the start of the tail looks too sharp and should be more developed. That could be corrected a bit with feeding and growth. Also I think fish of that age should be at least double the size.

For growth give them lot's of space and frequent large waterchanges. To reach full potential top-breeders advise 130 gallons per Ryukin, for most of us that is not achievable. 30% waterchange a week in a 29 gallon tank is too little. I would advise at least 50-70% 2x a week (but maybe the plants won't like that) and feed more frequently to develop the contour of the body. Deep belly, high back at least but preferrably > 3/4 of its length.

68-70 degrees is a good temperature. Currently my indoor Ryukins are at 64F (and showing good growth) and my Ryukins outdoors are at 41F, hibernating.

Keep up the good work, I hope you get your fish where you want them to be :)

Edited by Fleipie

the 'tail fin root' .. don't know the correct English term but the muscle at the start of the tail

This is called a peduncle :)

the 'tail fin root' .. don't know the correct English term but the muscle at the start of the tail

This is called a peduncle :)

I would not have thought of that myself! Thanks :)santa

For growth give them lot's of space and frequent large waterchanges. To reach full potential top-breeders advise 130 gallons per Ryukin, for most of us that is not achievable. 30% waterchange a week in a 29 gallon tank is too little. I would advise at least 50-70% 2x a week (but maybe the plants won't like that) and feed more frequently to develop the contour of the body. Deep belly, high back at least but preferrably > 3/4 of its length.

Will try that over the next few months (50% changes twice a week)... once i see the results.. twice a week will (i am sure) become a routine...

Thanks for the advice

i missed this.. they're beautiful :heart