Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rhorizon74

My 2 Ryukins

Hi,

My 2 Ryukins. Appx 3 inches long. Have had them for a year in a 20 gallon long. Pictures were taken a few months ago. Now have them in a 29 gallon tank. Thank you for looking.

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01133-1.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

Edited by rhorizon74

They are gorgeous, and will only get prettier with time :)

*checks tank* ok, my fish is still there lol

They are beautiful!

Those are very pretty! :welcome

Thanks for the comments.

The worst thing about having 2 fancy goldfish in a 29 gallon is having to fight the temptation to get a 3rd. I know i am just about at the limit for even 2. :)

Edited by rhorizon74

Wow love how bright the red is on those two. Thank you for sharing. So glad they have a bigger tank bet they love it.

OMG They are so beautiful! I love the one in the first picture, but the other one is very pretty too :)

I think you should feed them more, they will be more beautiful if they are fatter :thumb:

they are both beautiful! i love the red stripe at the base of the first ones tail :]

They have had a problem with commercial food. Have been feeding tetra flakes and then switched to pellets (always pre soak for 15 - 20 mins). The first fish had swimming problems. In the past 3-4 months started preparing gel based food. Also feed them egg whites (boiled), and shrimp as treats. This seems to have resolved the buoyancy issues. So now can feed more often and more quantity. This coupled with weekly 30% changes, i am hoping will help in growth.

I have seen people post growth rates of 2 to 3 inches per year. I havent had that kind of growth (so am bummed out about that). But i am hoping with the gel based food (and the upgrade to 29 gallons), i'll see better results. Also want to go for a slightly higher protein diet to promote the hump.

Am also considering getting a heater, to keep temperature a little higher at 74-76(heard growth is higher at slighlty higher temps). Currently in winter it falls to 68-70.

Currently going through this forum for tips on how to make goldfish grow (fast). All suggestions to do that are highly appreciated.

They are very pretty.

Maybe they just will be smaller. I got three fish at Petsmart in June. One grew quickly and is big and fat; one grew slowly at first but had a growth spurt later; and one still hasn't grown at all. They all live in the same tank and eat the same things. :idont

Gorgeoussssss~~!! Red and white ryukins are one of my favorites. :heart:)

I have seen some growth over the last year or so (so keeping my fingers crossed). They're geting more plump (as compared to the increase in length). Maybe i can post a more current pic (as opposed to a few (5) months old above).But i do think the issue with commercial food meant i had to reduce feeding. My plan is to increase the amount and the temp and water changes over the next 6 mos and see if that makes an difference.

If they grew to 3 inches (when i bought them), they have the genetics. So if there is something wrong its with me... Need to try a few things and get everything right. Have corrected the space issue, the food issue and will also fix the temperature issue. Will post in a few months and keep my fingers crossed.

BTW mine are a petsmart find too. Had to go through a few petsmarts before i found these. Hate buying fish from a chain(would have liked a LFS). Live near cincinnati, ohio, dont know if there are any LFS which sell some of the nice ones we see on sites like goldfishconnection etc. The shipping on the ones from these sites is really too much for me (since i only wanted one or two fish).

Those are some very nice humps they got going there.

BTW mine are a petsmart find too. Had to go through a few petsmarts before i found these. Hate buying fish from a chain(would have liked a LFS). Live near cincinnati, ohio, dont know if there are any LFS which sell some of the nice ones we see on sites like goldfishconnection etc. The shipping on the ones from these sites is really too much for me (since i only wanted one or two fish).

It was worth the looking -- they are very pretty. :)

They're both gorgeous!

Wow those are some very nice fish, Love the colors :thumb:

Thanks Koko.

Trying out a few things over the next 5-6 months to see if i can get them to grow big (like a lot of the other members on this forum). Hope it works.

Lots of room, clean water and good food. :thumb:

they are very beautiful!

If I might make one suggestion, I think you run the risk of nutrients leaching out of your pellets by soaking them for 15-20 min. I find that 2-3 min (up to 5) is sufficient to soften and expand them :)

they are very beautiful!

If I might make one suggestion, I think you run the risk of nutrients leaching out of your pellets by soaking them for 15-20 min. I find that 2-3 min (up to 5) is sufficient to soften and expand them :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Had started out with soaking for a few minutes, but the moment the first one ate more than 2 medium sized pellets it would start having swimming issues. So started soaking for 15-20 mins. But your suggestion does make sense.

I have switched to creating my own gel based food.

Unflavoured gelatin, wheat germ, peas, lettuce, shrimp, tilapia, garlic powder (thinner to counter the gelatin), some presoaked flakes and some presoaked pellets (soaked in the gel), mixed with a lot of care and love.

Make a weeks worth of food.

Egg white (boiled) as a treat once a week or so.

My wife is angry that i never cook for her (thats bcoz i am not a good cook), but i cook up stuff for the fishes :)