Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sunking

Butterfly in water

The original Chinese version of this article is here:http://bbs.cnfish.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=258807&highlight=%F7%C8%C1%A6%B9%FA%B4%E2

In China, a special type of goldfish is making thousands of enthusiasts crazy. This type has extremely beautiful tail and is called "butterfly-tail". If ranchu is the king of goldfish, then butterfly tail is definitely the queen.

Before introducing the heroine, let's start from the ancester of butterfly-tail--the telescope-eye.

The telescope-eye is one of the oldest type of goldfish, it first appears in 1592, developed by a Cantonese breeder whose name was Guo. Since its eyes look like the eyes of dragon, we Chinese people called them dragon-eye. There was an interesting story that when the Japanese saw the dragon-eye in the first time, they thought the fish was seriously sick and just throw them away.

A very special sub-type of the telescope-eye is the black moor. The first black moor appears in1893, 300 years after the birth of telescope-eye. Your may be quite curous about the reason behind the 300 years delay. It's not because people stopped developing new types during the period. It is because there is little black pigment in the body of the ancester of the goldfish--prussian carp. Therefore it's very difficult to develop a type of goldfish which is totally black. Black moor was the first goldfish ever to be totally black.

In 1980s, some Chinese breeders developed a new type of telescope--butterfly-tail which is named after the shape of its tail. Butterfly tail is a typical top view goldfish, therefore it's better to keep them in bowls or pond. One thing you should pay attention when you keep a butterfly is that the flow of the water should be very weak. Some experts in China has written articles about the relationship between the water flow and the shape of the goldfish, and strongly recommanded that the butterfly should be kept in still water. Considering the tradeoff between the power of the filter and the strength of water flow, it's not easy for starters to keep a butterfly-tail. And also, since the butterfly-tail is new type recently developed, it's gene is unstable and the price is very high even in China.

1105181553fa2edcb9f1bb9c6a.jpg

20070324_cc03ee74eb92de5a63b7OUdDGsOosusl.jpg

20070324_695b44306baeca59704aV7EwTfbC0Jf5.jpg

20070324_9fe87f3c7819f6348151qbROzr9xIM2m.jpg

20070324_1b63a56ce9fd82fff0b4q4t76UrQME38.jpg

20070325_1ff500138cfedfae6a76KdkpDQaduRLd.jpg

20070324_6573026d1f72e3b3b90f9gLuS1i32k6q.jpg

20070324_e4cbb763ddcc0ef8d98ana03Cg7O5SQv.jpg

Very nice pic's :) I love the black and Orange one :) :) :)

Oh wow I didn't know they were such an old variety!

This is great. Goldfish 101! Those fish are out of this world.

Very cool! Again, thank you very much for this article! :)

Love the first one would also love to see normal pictures too.

Wow!!!!!!! What beautiful fish! I particularly like the white ish one with the darker fins! Stunning! :)

I love butterflies!

Wow, those fish are stunning.

this ismy dream goldfish.i have yet to see one from where i live. :(

So would they keep these guys in a more shallower tank?

The story behind them is impressive :)

You are right, it's better to keep them in shallower tank. In China, we believe that the key to build up the nice tail and fat body of the goldfish is to raise them in shallow and still water. Therefore, we don't buy the tanks from the fish store which are made for tropical fish, we usually make the tanks ourselves or just ask the glass store to make the tanks for us.

You are right, it's better to keep them in shallower tank. In China, we believe that the key to build up the nice tail and fat body of the goldfish is to raise them in shallow and still water. Therefore, we don't buy the tanks from the fish store which are made for tropical fish, we usually make the tanks ourselves or just ask the glass store to make the tanks for us.

It's the same here, with serious breeders :)

I have a question for you - how much do the different types of goldfish cost in China? Could you please tell us? If you don't want to convert to American dollars, I'll be happy to do so after you post prices in yuan. Thank you!

Edited by dnalex

Well, the price of goldfish is highly dependent on the quality or the outlook of the fish. I have three fish, and you can find them in

http://www.kokosgold...-tank-and-fish/

The telescope is about 14cm, costs 7 yuan.

The lionhead is about 8cm, costs 8 yuan.

The ranchu is about 12cm, costs 50 yuan.

The price for the fry smaller than 5cm can be less than 0.5 yuan

The price for the butterflies that I post in this topic varies from 30 to some thounsand yuan.

The price for a 15+cm ranchu with a very standard outlook is usually higher than 300 yuan.

The prices for the other types of goldfish are quite similar. Usually, it's not their type, but their color, pattern, shape and size determines their value.

And imported goldfish(usually from Japan and Thailand) is far more expensive than the local ones.

Considering the exchange rate is 1:6.34, the price for the goldfish is much more cheaper in China than in USA, but I believe the situation will one day be changed if more and more breeders appears in USA.

Edited by Sunking

Plus,there are lots of goldfish farms in China. As far as I know, there are more than 5 in Shanghai alone. And one thing you should pay attention is that the average personal income(yearly) in China is only 19000yuan, which is only 3000 dollars, therefore, although the absolute price is quite low in China, the relative price is just the opposite.

Absolutely! Thank you for the info. Please let us know of new interesting variants that are being developed :)

Very interesting. So is the filter system normally for these guys the sponge filter?

do you have any pics of your setups?

Edited by neil newsome

Very interesting. So is the filter system normally for these guys the sponge filter?

Maybe, but I'm not quite sure about that, because some of them keep it as their secret. But one thing for sure is that you can not rely too much on the filter system to raise the butterfly, you should often use a tube to suck out the fish ###### yourself, that's why Chinese breeders don't like to put any plant or sand or other decoration in their tank or pond, because the decoration sometimes makes the clean up more difficult.

I've posted my tank in this topic:http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96352-my-tank-and-fish/

I use an upper filter(I don't know what you westerners call it, it's a 90cm long plastic through and it's for mechanical filtering only) and the white barrel is used as the bio filtering(in China we call it reverse air lifting filter, but I don't know what you guys call it). The 15W water pump lift the water into the upper filter, the upper filter is filled with floss to filter out the big particles in water, and the output of upperfilter in connected to the input of the reverse air lifting filter which is filled with ceramic rings, an air stone is placed in the barrel to increase the efficiency, because the nytrifying bacteria need oxygen.At the bottom of the barrel, I drilled hundreds of small holes to guarantee the water flow out of the barrel is small enough. We Chinese fish fans like to DIY the filter system, and I'm just a starter, so my filter system may not work as well as those you buy from the aquarium store.

I've posted my tank in this topic:http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96352-my-tank-and-fish/

I use an upper filter(I don't know what you westerners call it, it's a 90cm long plastic through and it's for mechanical filtering only) and the 4L white barrel is used as the bio filtering(in China we call it reverse air lifting filter, but I don't know what you guys call it). The 15W water pump lift the water into the upper filter, the upper filter is filled with floss to filter out the big particles in water, and the output of upperfilter in connected to the input of the reverse air lifting filter which is filled with ceramic rings, an air stone is placed in the barrel to increase the efficiency, because the nytrifying bacteria need oxygen.At the bottom of the barrel, I drilled hundreds of small holes to guarantee the water flow out of the barrel is small enough. We Chinese fish fans like to DIY the filter system, and I'm just a starter, so my filter system may not work as well as those you buy from the aquarium store.

I know I am late in entering this forum discussion but I LOVE butterflie tails. My first ever just arrived two days ago she's from a goldfish farm in china origanaly, but I got her through dandy orandas. These fish hold a special place in my heart :) thanks for sharing!! ^.^