Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ashlee18

In a tropical dilemma (need suggestions for tankmates)

So, with the departure of my messy, messy catfish, the tank is missing something. It is an overfiltered 55 gallon tank. Like, this tank could house goldfish, that is how overfiltered it is (700gph). It is also planted.

Right now it only has angelfish, 1 BN pleco (visiting from the goldie tank to attack the brown algae) and neon tetras. I also have some platies going in next week after qt. But there seems to just be so much space now that the large fish are gone. So I want some suggestions for some more tankmates. I was looking at corries and none of them appealed to me, but that is all that I have considered so far.

Would other tetras similar to neons school with them? If not, I will likely get more tetras, I love the blue.

Thanks for any ideas

What are the stats? Like the pH and hardness? :)

Black phantom tetras are a hardy little fish and they are great to watch :)

Another species of tetra won't school with the neons, but they will school with themselves so you will have two little schools swimming around :)

I wouldnt suggest keeping corys with a BN Plec. I have heard alot of people say this works but my experience with this combination has not been a good one.

Both Myself and my room-mate had BNs with Corys and everything was fine while the BN were small, but as soon as they got to the same size as the corys they constantly attacked them, I think they can be quite territorial with other bottom dwellers, which is not always fatal, but the Corys were so passive that they just got harassed constantly, could not fight back, and did not learn to stay away from the BN (corys dont seem to "get" territory).

I think if you wanted another bottom dweller you could get something more hardy like a group of Botia Striata (these also look amazing).

I like Rummy or Lemon tetras, but like others have said they wont shoal with the neons. Some People say Neons and Cardinals shoal together but thats about the only thing I have heard.

If you want different shoaling fish (i.e. that behaves differently to tetras) you could also try something like a shoal of Sparkling Gourami or Striped Pencilfish (

Nannostomus mortenthaleri)

I think the only problem with those is that an adult angel could prey on them, but theyre bigger than neons so if your angels dont attack those either should be fine.

I would have suggested Apistogrammas as well but I think if your water is right for Platies it is probably wrong for apistos.

Whatever you ultimately decide to get let us know with pictures ;D

I'm not sure about the specifics for them, but how about hatchet fish? I love these, and I love how these add to the very top of the tank. They also are large enough to not look like snacks to the angels.

I personally would love to add a school of hatchet fish to my own tropical tank, but since I got additionally the pleco and the cories, I think I am well stocked. Maybe. :rofl

I love these marble ones, but usually only see the silver ones at my Petsmart

And no, I think only cardinals would school with the neons, because they are so similar. I was looking into that when I was thinking about having glow light tetras school with my black neons, but I read that the different types of neons do not school together.

Either way, the larger your group of neons, the more stunning it will look. How many do you have now? I saw a dramatic difference when I changed from 6 to 12 fish. It looked awesome!

"Unfortunately" though my neons feel so comfortable even with the angels around, that they rarely school together anymore. Now they are just shoaling losely, small groups doing their own thing checking out plants and looking for food.

Dwarf gouramis would be a nice looking addition. I believe here you can keep the differnet color varieties ("regular", powder blue, honey sunset, flame sunset) together. But male dwarf gouramis can be territorial with each other if there is not enough room. Nowhere near as bad as angelfish though.

With the angels in the same tank, it also would be a good idea to have enough vegetation in there :)

I was going to suggest a gouramis as well ;) or another type a schooling tetra maybe...

Well I guess it is more neons lol I have 5, so at least 5 more. I had a blue dwarf gourami but he passed a while ago. He wasn't a very active fish for me though. But that was when I first started in the fish hobby. So I will see what the store has.

My water is acidic and at 6.8pH. It is very stable though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Well that's great water for most tropicals! More neons sounds like a plan then :D

And gouramis are probably more active when kept in a group :)

I just got some white skirt tetras, and I have to say they are really nice in larger groups. They school beautifully (they look AWESOME when they go in circles around the castle lol) and are big enough to see from across the room.

Yeah, my water is an angelfish breeders' dream lol

When you say groups, do you mean females? I thought I read somewhere the gouramis can be aggressive in groups.

I really do love the tetras. And it made me so happy to see the neons. I gave them to my bf when I moved out and he never did a water change on the tank or fed them at regular times. So they were skinny and super pale. So they went into qt and are bright red and blue again. And I cannot wait to add more.

I honestly keep reading different things.

One group of people say this mainly happens if they are kept in a too small tank, or if the number of females is significantly smaller than the number of males.

Others say they experienced all their fish being aggressive with each other, even the females being bullies.

Now I also keep reading that it is better to stick with just one type of dwarf gourami. I guess it's a trial and error thing. Getting more neons, and - if you want more movement and different look - a school of different tetras would be the better choice. :)

I have never had luck finding a hearty gourmai they always die on me in a few weeks no matter what I do but maybe that's just me.

I have always kept cories with my BN pleco and have never ever had even the slightest hint of an issue.

Rummy nose tetras are cool schooling fish and would do well in your tank.

I've been enjoying my Dwarf German Ram but he can be a bit territorial.

I agree with the hatchetfish suggestion! I have had some for about 4 years and they are a great fish. Always mind their own business and never bother anyone--very peaceful. I had marbled ones for awhile too and they schooled with the silver hatchets.

I looked up the hatchet fish and thought they looked ok. I can't find any locally though. I did purchase 7 more neons to add to the herd.

I will be putting the BN back into the goldie tank as he has destroyed all the algae. I got 3 otos to replace him. That was all the local store had.

So I think I will look for one more type of fish. Either a gourami or a ram.

I did see some white cloud minnows for the first time yesterday. They were so small that my goldfish could swallow them whole lol