Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAddict

Oranda Fry!

aww :) How cute are those little ones :) great job!!!!!

Thank you all! I think it is cool that you can see some of them have fairly good sized fancy tails.

Edited by Patti

I can see some have some really nice tails on them :thumb:

I have been going thru a few of the babies and getting out the crooked ones and the single tails. So far we have culled 250 but more importantly we have removed 35 that i feel have good potential. I want to try to start to isolate a few of the nicer ones. I hope to have the first 2 batchs gone through by the time we close on our house in 17 days. Yesterday the 6th spawn hatched so we have a few more thousand that will be following them up. I will get some pics of the babys soon.

Darn, I'd love to have a single tailed oranda.

Seriously.

:(

Darn, I'd love to have a single tailed oranda.

Seriously.

:(

I could save a few out of the next batch and see how they turn out,

Are those fry from your red cap oranda in the FOTM poll?

Are those fry from your red cap oranda in the FOTM poll?

no I didnt not enter the contest this month.

Fang I found a few single tails that i had missed when i went through the tank today. I decided I would keep a few to see how they turn out just for you.

Fang I found a few single tails that i had missed when i went through the tank today. I decided I would keep a few to see how they turn out just for you.

Ahaha, awesome! :rofl

How are your fry doing? Any updates in the future?? Obviously they're still swimmin'. I'm all junked out on fry development.

If you don't have a fish to feed culls to, how are you supposed to do it? Do you just use clove oil like you would a larger fish? I am so fascinated by the whole breeding thing and would love the opportunity to raise fry some day, but the whole culling thing freaks me out a bit (I get it, I just feel like it would be hard to do)

I too am wondering how you cull them. I see the need for it, but I would feel kind of sad about it.

I would love to have some eggs and fry. I would have no idea what to do with them, but it would fun to have them once.

The fry are doing good i just wish i was getting some size on them a bit faster. It seems like they are slowing down a bit. I am starting to give them crushed up flake food now. I saved right around a 100 out of the first batch. To cull them i just feed them to larger fish. At such a small size almost anything will eat them. I usually feed them to my africans. I feel it is probably the fastest way to do the job.

Sorry about the delay in pics. The last day i posted i ended up spending a few hours that night in the ER. I am feeling a lot better now and have some energy so I thought I would snap a few pics. They are not doing the best as far as growth rate, but I started the guys that are following up these ones out on a brine only diet so we will see if it helps. Anyways they are about 1 1/2 months and just now hitting the 1" mark.

002-4.jpg

001-7.jpg

Sooo cute! Look at those bellies :)

Edited by molbert73

Good job, Patti! :)

Congrats on the fry and I, too, love the bellies! How fun. I wish my fish would breed again! It was so fun.

I hope you are doing better :(:hug

WOW look at them growing up... Oh the fun part, getting fat and changing color :thumb:

oh my gosh, they are ADORABLE!! Look how cute they are with their little tiny fins and big tummies! :D

Right on. Glad to hear your feeling better. Hope you stay that way. Great picture. I love the color of the fry against the red back ground.

I think they look pretty fat and have grown quite a bit. Very nice!

Sorry to read that you were so sick! I hope you're feeling lots better.

They are looking good with nice rounded bellies, growth rate @1inch in 6weeks is not too bad. Their growth should accelerate at this point once you find the right balance between good food, water and space. They will grow less in length but will bulk up in body mass.

If you don't have a fish to feed culls to, how are you supposed to do it? Do you just use clove oil like you would a larger fish? I am so fascinated by the whole breeding thing and would love the opportunity to raise fry some day, but the whole culling thing freaks me out a bit (I get it, I just feel like it would be hard to do)

I use clove oil to cull. I suppose if you were just breeding for your own fulfillment it would be hard to cull...but personally I never found it hard to cull. But I am trying to get the most "perfect" (in terms of the official standards) show fish possible, and to sell the fish that are of "breeding quality" so I cull ruthlessly. Since I have such a specific goal in mind, it's not difficult to cull at all. :twocents

Patti, I have noticed that the few batches that I raised on BBS exclusively (until they were large enough to eat daphnia and adult brine shrimp) grew much faster than the batch I used powdered food with.

That said, 6wks and 1in in length is a good ratio! Like lionchu said, you won't notice too much length growth in the next few months, but they will definitely bulk up. My first batch from this summer is roughly 6mos old (give or take a week) and they are all about 2in. But you should see their conformation! :yikes

I fell the same way about culling. If you keep them all they will all turn out stunted and junky. I culled 500 from the first batch. I have about 100 left and I expect that I may keep 20-30 out of the spawn. I do have a few thousand at a week or so old so we will see how they turn out as well. We were suspose to have our new house the 17th but they are telling us it will be the 27th now :no: As soon as we get into our new house I have to go pick up a 6' diameter stock tank I bought from a friend yesterday. It should make an awesome growout tank for the babies. Hopefully i will be able to grow 50 or so out to be stunners :)santa

Edited by Patti