Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yamilovemyfishies

Midinight has a parasite on her dorsal fin. How do I remove it?

Hi everyone at Koko's I have come to the realization that my black moor Captain Midnight has a parasite on her dorsal fin. It began as a white patch which I began to treat with Melafix. It then became to an open sore, then turned back to a red sore with white on top of it. The question is the Melafix is not working, so what is the remedy? Here si the other information below.

• Ammonia Level 2.0
    • * Nitrite Level 0.25
      • * Nitrate level 0
        • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Ph is above 7.6 on my scale.
          • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Other Required Info: Ph tap level is 6.6
            • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater master test kit drops
              • * Water temperature? 78
                • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25 gals 1 year
                  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)Aqueon 06080Quietflow 10 powerfilter
                    • * How often do you change the water and how much? every two weeks 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 weeks ago 100%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 inches
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Nutrafin, Ick Guard, Melafix, Stress Zyme, Stress Coat, Ammo Lock
        • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice every day
          • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
            • * Any medications added to the tank? Melafix.
              • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment . Melafix at 7am this morning.
                • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White patch with pink underneath it on dorsal fin
                  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the top.

Hello. Could you please take a pic and post? Your description does not sound like a parasite but possibly a bacterial infection.

My concern is that you have extremely high levels of ammonia and high levels of nitrites. Somehow it looks like your tank has lost its cycle. For now, you will need to do two back to back 80% water changes to get rid of all these toxins. At these levels, they will make it impossible for the fish to heal, and make matters worse.

IMAG0242-1.jpg

fixed your pic post

Edited by bodoba

So right now I am ming Midnight into a hospital tank and changing the water 80% then tome in the morning do another 80% but I won't put her back in until it is safe for her.

It looks like (bacterial) columnaris infection to me. Salt normally is what is tried first, but because of the extremely high levels of ammonia, adding salt could be more damaging. For now, could you try to fix your cycle by stepping up with water changes and also perhaps add Nutrafin Cycle bacterial supplement to get things back to normal?

Edit: I just saw your post. Moving him to QT is an excellent idea, because it will allow you to change the QT water daily. If you are able to do that, it may be possible to add salt to the QT system.

Edited by dnalex

Good already added salt to the QT tank.

This is fine. Just please make sure to monitor your tank ammonia, and don't let it get above 0.25ppm at any time.

How much salt did you add?

I will have to buy the Nutrafin Cycle tom. because the pet store is already closed will that be alright?

That should be fine. I was thinking you would the Cycle to the main tank to correct the cycling situation.

About a teaspoon of salt the tempature is about 79 almost peaking above the green is that alright? I don't want to put her in shock. The ammonia is in between 0 and 0.25 so I added jsut a bit more ammo lock.

Just tested the water again for ammonia it went right back down to zero. I am going to put midnight in now, she won't go into shock right?

Well I just put her in the tank, she is slowly swimming around but she is still at the top like in the other tank I think it is swimbladder disease she has also, I haven't added anything to the tank but ammo-lock stress zyme, stress coat and salt. I haven't put any medication will that be alright for Midnight?

If your ammonia is zero and your temp is within 2 degress F it should be fine to put her in QT. How off is the pH from the main tank though? I noticed there is quite a swing in your tank vs your tap.

If your ammonia is zero and your temp is within 2 degress F it should be fine to put her in QT. How off is the pH from the main tank though? I noticed there is quite a swing in your tank vs your tap.

Yes, that is very important. Please match tank temp/pH to that of tap.

I think the pH would be about 7.9 if that is possible, it is hogh though it is supposed to be about mint green it was a light dark blue darker than the last suggestion on the scale.

For the tap towards the tank is very big difference for the tank right now it is about 7.9 as i said before as for the tap it is 6.6 the difference would be 1.3. Is that even possible?

As for Midnight she is at the top but moving her fins and swimmng at the top.

That difference is too big to move her, especially because you are moving from high to low.

Do you have any buffer to use, such as alkaline buffer or Gold Buffer? The tap water either needs to age over night with a bubbler, or you will need to treat it with a buffer to raise the pH to an 8 before using it.

I think your tap water is very soft, and aging overnight will raise the pH.

Today I woke up Midnight was fine, I haven't fed her because I'm not too sure if she is hngry it doesn't seem like it, but I do know if I feed her she will eat. As for alkaline buffer or Gold Buffer, where can i get these and what do you mean exactly by using a bubbler for the tap water?

I haven't changed the water yet because I didn't have any Nutrafin cycle so I will change the water this afternoon then again during the evening or till tom. morning? Should I also put salt on the rocks, or just leave them?

I will be off to the store in one more hour as soon as they open is there anything elese you guys think I should get?

Thanks and it looks like both of you share the same name!

Midnight seems alright right now, so I will be off to the store now.

Today I woke up Midnight was fine, I haven't fed her because I'm not too sure if she is hngry it doesn't seem like it, but I do know if I feed her she will eat. As for alkaline buffer or Gold Buffer, where can i get these and what do you mean exactly by using a bubbler for the tap water?

I haven't changed the water yet because I didn't have any Nutrafin cycle so I will change the water this afternoon then again during the evening or till tom. morning? Should I also put salt on the rocks, or just leave them?

You said the fish stays at the top all the time? Does it have buoyancy issues that make it float to the surface? When at the surface, does its dorsal fin stick out of the water? If yes, then this is what the white patch is from. Her dorsal fin is irritated from being out of the water constantly, and that's why the white patch develops on the fin. I would not treat with salt or anything else just yet. All you need to do is get your water quality under control, as Alex has been advising you to do, and see if that improves her floatiness.

If there's still no improvement, it would be a good idea to fast the fish for three days, and then on the fourth day, give her about 4 de-shelled peas (use the frozen kind, but thaw them first). While doing the fast, you can also put a small amount of epsom salt in the water to try and help the floatiness. I believe the dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons, but I'll have to double-check that. The fasting and epsom is an attempt to clean out her digestive system in case she's floating because of constipation.

If she develops a red sore on the fin with the white patch at any point during this time, you can do ONE swab with hydrogen peroxide. Just dip a Q-tip into the HP and gently lift just the top part of the fish out of the water and dab lightly with HP. Only do this once though, because if you do it twice, you will kill the healthy healing tissue.

Don't worry about aging your water with an air stone/bubbler, that is what you need to do when your tap pH is lower than your tank pH, and that's not the problem you have. What you need is the buffer because your tank pH is lower than your tap pH, indicating that pH is gradually slipping lower over time, so it's not very well buffered. You should call around and ask which fish stores around you carry the Seachem Gold Buffer, and if none carry it, then look it up online and order some. Follow the instructions, and it will raise your pH to the proper level before you add it to the tank. It will also keep your pH from slipping into acidity over time. Alex can give you more details on how to use it if you're confused. :)

I was just thinknig about adding HP but I wasn't too sure so that's perfect, I am currently fasting her, I began on Sunday, so on Wednesday I will feed her 4 thawed peas, and I will add the epsom salt today when I get the chance. Hopefully she'll be doing better on Wendesday because I am leaving to see some relatives for the Thanksgivivng season. Someone will be caring for Midnight while I'm gone I'll have to make sure they update me on all behavior and how her healing progress is doing.