Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bodoba

Why I don't currently have goldfish

I'm sure I'm not the only one who frequents here and yet has no goldies at the moment. I finally priced out my options and its just not available right now. Paying for a divorce is basically all my money.

300 gal stock tank - $260

pump (~500 gph)- $110

biomedia - $50

methylene blue - $15

air pump - $50

Total $ 485

display tank

local used set up -$300 (been looking for a month and yes, no matter the size if it's above 10 gal its $300 >.>)

air pump -$50

biomedia -$50

pump -$40

Total $ 440

extras

prime -$41

food -$50

on hand meds -$15

test kits -$25

siphon -$50

Total $ 181

I'm sure I'm missing loads too. I wish I had that much to spend but aside from the costs I have a few other things preventing me from getting fish at the moment.

1. construction being done on the house

2. space allotted for fish is currently being ocuppied (sp?)

3. pond may have to be moved and rebuilt in the spring

I love this site, I love looking at everyone's beautiful fish and tanks and I love researching and trying to help out as best I can. I love talking to people who also love goldfish.

Hello,

There is absolutely no requirement that you have goldfish to be on the site. You are very welcome here any and all times :)

(I don't have any tropicals besides bettas, but I truly enjoy seeing the tropical tanks here and read the discussions involving them. I also don't have cats or some the other Koko critters, but I also enjoy seeing them.) :D

I hear you on the costs. I've spent far more than I ever imagined. I started with a used 20 gallon and realized as soon as we got the fish that we would be wanting more fish. So I immediately upgraded to a new bigger tank and new bigger mechanicals. Thankfully, I think I've passed the nonstop spending point.

Since I bought my new tank, I've seen a few great deals on used ones that would have been perfect for us. If you are shopping for used, hang in there and look often. Good deals go very fast.

I found a 45 gallon bowfront with a filter, heater, two airpumps, air regulator, tubing, two fake plants, light hood, and beautiful stand for $50 at a garage sale today. Keep looking!

I found a 45 gallon bowfront with a filter, heater, two airpumps, air regulator, tubing, two fake plants, light hood, and beautiful stand for $50 at a garage sale today. Keep looking!

SCORE! I have a 46 bowfront and absolutely LOVE it. It's the prettiest tank I've ever had.

bodoba, getting into or back into the hobby can indeed cost a lot. Keep checking those used tank ads. The right setup for you will turn up!

I am sure I've spent a small fortune on my goldies. I just tell myself that no matter how much I've spent, it's still cheaper than therapy! :)

You are so right, fish seem so much cheaper than any other pets but it ends up being an expensive hobby in the end. :unsure: But Koko's is exactly the right place to be when you need your goldie fix and you can't have any. :D And whether or not you have goldies now, they can't take away your experience, so of course your help is precious. :hug

Sadly, I have spent waaaay more on my fish than my two cats and one dog put together.

I have to give this advice. Put your own want add out on Craigslist. There were a few tanks I was interested in but didn't like the price. So I put out a want add and got three great offers, including the one for the tank I have now.

Wish you were nearer me, I may have to move house soon and have one 55 gallon and 2 x 30 gallons in the shed not being used plus a few filters that need a good sterilization but would work again. I will gladly give them free to anyone who can collect. I'm in Japan :(

Una, it doesn't matter if you don't have fish to be a valued member here. You have lots of experience keeping fish to share and most important, love for the hobby. Goldfish are expensive tis true!

I can relate and I hope you get your goldfish soon. WOW for prices in your area. I guess there's not much fish keeping going on so resale values are high. With prices like this, I'd just head down to a LFS and buy a setup or just buy a new tank and order the equipment new online.

if you lived closer to me i would give you my 20 gallon long tank and some equipment for free. I am sorry for your troubles and I can certainly identify with how you feel, good luck

That's nice of you.

just thought i'd let u know, i dont know where in mb u live, but if ur close enough to winnipeg, go to an aquarium society meeting, u wont find a 300 g tank, but anything from10 -50 gallons usually sells for about $5-$10, plus u can get anything else u need super cheap, thats where i buy almost everything. u can pretty much gets filters and pumps for a dollar, as well as food, meds, prime, test kits, etc for maybe slightly more, probably not more than $15

I don't have any goldies either. Tbh, I have too many other animals to look after at the moment and they're sucking every last penny out of me. One of my rats needs constant meds, all my hardware in the tanks seems to be kicking it simultaneously and I have no source of income other than my other half. I'd love to go back to my roots since my heart will always be with goldies but with 2 rats, 8 axolotls, 3 bettas, 2 corys and 2 otos, I don't think that'll be happening for a while yet. I still love catching up with people here though, and helping out. Just because we no longer have goldies, doesn't mean the knowledge isn't still firmly lodged in our brains ;)

I still lurk occasionally and I don't have goldies. Can't handle the heartbreak and I'm going to college in less than a year anyway. I'll just continue admiring from afar, I suppose.

I don't have any goldies either. Tbh, I have too many other animals to look after at the moment and they're sucking every last penny out of me. One of my rats needs constant meds, all my hardware in the tanks seems to be kicking it simultaneously and I have no source of income other than my other half. I'd love to go back to my roots since my heart will always be with goldies but with 2 rats, 8 axolotls, 3 bettas, 2 corys and 2 otos, I don't think that'll be happening for a while yet. I still love catching up with people here though, and helping out. Just because we no longer have goldies, doesn't mean the knowledge isn't still firmly lodged in our brains

:exactly

Why lurk? The forum is enriched by all different experiences. Be an active participant :)

Agreed! There is a reason I won't add up all of my costs for sure...it is too scary.