Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Albino telescopes

20 posts in this topic

So, rain garden has a bunch of albino telescopes up right now. I'm just curious about these, as I have never heard of or seen an albino goldfish.

Are these rare? Are they specifically bred to be albino or is it just an anomaly? What about their eyesight? Would they be more prone to vision problems? I don't have any good reason to jump to the conclusion that they would have more difficulty with vision than typical teles, but I guess that's where my mind immediately goes.

ALBINO GOLDFISH!!?? guess its possible and i suppose that they aren't much different from regular goldfish i dunno O.o albino goldfish sound awesome :D

My fish Trinket is an albino telescope :). And yes they are rare.I LOVE them. They are sometimes called Siamese dolls. Because of their very selective genetic mutations they are quite difficult to keep. They are dwarf fish and never grow much more than 3 or maybe 4 inches max. They do have difficulties seeing but eat just fine and if homed with other eye impaired fish can do just fine. I got lucky with a very spunky one who has survived many issues and even had babies. They are unique looking, I will post a pic of my Trinket here later (bed calls here in my time zone).

After seeing this thread last night, I went back and searched the forum. I saw both your thread, Trinket, and Daryl's, where you guys were talking about your Siamese dolls. I was wondering if there was a difference between Siamese dolls and albino teles, since I know nothing about either of these. Thank you for the clarification :)

thanks for the info Trinket, they are very pretty, I'd love to see yours :)

I found this one of when she was little:

P1010276-1.jpg

Thanks for checking that out Alex. Daryls I think was a long tailed telescope, Trinket short ~as far as I know the siamese doll albinos are all gold color. I do believe there is another white albino which is called another "something" doll..

Trinket is cute :) I like the gold color. The ones on rain garden look more white/pinky to me.

Those are so cute!

Are all white albinos (like I have seem them on raingarden) also Siamese dolls?

ID-ing fish is not my strong point. Maybe? Although I think the white ones maybe called China dolls? Not sure.... anyway trinket was sold to me at our local LFS as a Siamese doll :)

Thats about the only class that gets me, the differance between the two. :doh11:

I got no clue with this anyway. I thought an albino teles is simply an albino teles. You learn something new every day!

Ooh trinkets cute! Wow I had no idea what a alibino telescope would look like.

Ooh trinkets cute! Wow I had no idea what a alibino telescope would look like.

You should check out the ones on the Rain Garden site, they look a little different than Trinket :)

From what I understand, "Siamese Doll" is really not anything other than an albino telescope. They're just two names for the same thing.

I saw those RG albino teles too, and I want!

Yep, albinos are rare, their eyesight (in my experience) is not good, mine is 90% blind. She can see when the light goes on and off, but I dont know how much else. She will wiz right by food all the time, but she eventually finds it. I've taught her how to hand feed so now feeding is easy.

Check out my post about my albino tele Amber:

http://www.kokosgold..._1#entry1073649

I will add more pics of her and her tankmate eventually. :)

Enjoy!

They have these in stck right now at my local PetCo, but their tanks ALWAYS have some sort of Ick going on and I wouldn't put on in my tanks, but I really want one!

that's too bad :( .... my peTco ***Always*** has realllly bad ich too. The last time I went in I actually had to say something because the goldfish were almost pure white from ich. It was the worst ich I have seen by far.

If it wasn't too bad you could get one and try to treat it in QT!

My signature has Uriel aka Admiral Ackbar which is an albino telescope, with I think a possible ryukin mix. He/she was the only white fish in the batch of about 100 at the store. I almost grabbed the only albino ryukin but my neighbor called dibs a minute before I got to it.

Anyway, I think they are rare and as far as I know, happen only accidentally.

Oh and the blindess, he/she's still young, eyes are clear but just as bad depth perception as the other telescopes in tank. They find the food eventually but it's hard to watch without talking to them "Just a smidge to the left!!!"

I had been looking at the albinos on raingarden i was really close to calling and buying them. If he has some when i get moved i may have to get them.