Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ypdmd

In the filter...

When I got home today, my little fantail was in the filter. Just got him off - not c shaped, but beat up where the filter tore into him. Floating, not swimming. He ate fine this morning - a little floaty the past 24 hours but nothing crazy - he was in control.

Params this morning -

pH - 7.6

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - barely registers, close to 0

last water chage - 2 days ago.

He is just floating now in a corner, breathing, but not swimming.

Any chance of survival?

How many other fish are in the tank? How big is it? Could you please answer the rest of the questions up top?

Thanks.

So sorry this happened. Can you fill out all of the questions at the top? (tank size, how many fish etc.)

EDIT: oops, Alex beat me to it :)

Edited by tithra

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0+mg/L
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 76
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 35, running 3 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% once a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 2 inch fancies
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? teramin or tetrafin flakes 2x daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yest, the 3 fancies
  • * Any medications added to the tank? coppersafe, 2 week ago, 2 80% a 50% and another 80% water changes since.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. see above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white patches that are eating though the fins of the telescope, seems to be clearing now
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no, possible flashing and starting. Fish eating fine

ODed 10x on the prime last time I used it (Sat. Night) because I was unused to the ration, followed with an immediate 80% water change.

Moved him to a 2.5 gallon mini bow, air only, no filter.

How many doses of the Coppersafe did you administer? Also, may I ask why you were dosing in Copper to the tank? Also, how long were the fish in the 10X Prime?

Edit: moving him to a space with aeration but filter is a good idea. In concerned that it's a little small, though. If you cannot find a bigger container, I think it will be necessary to do multiple water changes daily to avoid fouling the water.

Edited by dnalex

No, not having a filter in the QT for now is a good idea, because we don't want him to get stuck again. Airstone is good. Do you have anything bigger than the 2.5g? That size is a tad small for QT.

Are those white spots still there, or has the Coppersafe treatment resulted in clearance of the spots?

I was told to clear the coppersafe with 2x 80% water changes, so I did. I don't think the white spots were actually ick, but they did clear on the fantail (the one in trouble now). \

I can set up a 10gallon. - he's not moving at all, just floating and breathing - barrel rolling if he drifts into the bubbles. Not sure how much fouling he can do.

Thanks for the help, but he didn't make it. Just checked and gills not pumping.

I'm so sorry :(

I am so sorry for your loss. How is it that he got into the filter? Did he hop over the side of the tank? If so, why isn't the lid on the AC?

Edited by waterfaller1

to help your other fish, just keep an eye out. I also see black markings on his fins is that just his natural color?

I am so sorry for your loss. How is it that he got into the filter? Did he hop over the side of the tank? If so, why isn't the lid on the AC?

Sorry - stuck "to" the filter intake. Lids not on the AC because is makes a racket. Even with the lid off the 70 sounds like a chainsaw.

And yes, the black on the fins was normal.

He was small, and not a great swimmer to start with - he got pulled into the gravel tube when I did the last water change. He looked pretty health though, so I am not sure what did him in.

You can see vids of the other fish here

A healthy fish should not get stuck to the intake.

I know, but he looked and acted healthy - any idea what could have happened?

To me, the fish that is orange and black does not look particularly active either. Have you treated them for anything like IP's or flukes? It's really hard to say, it could have been an internal bacterial infection. So many things can afflict these guys. I am not real fond of what you are feeding them. I think you could step up to at least some Hikari sinking pellets, or some New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. Frozen Bloodworms on occasion, frozen peas popped out of their skin, defrosted. Some fresh food is good too. Maybe do some reading on nutrition. I use Hikari Saki in the purple bag, and some sprulina flake from Goldfish connection.I also use a food called Southern D'light, and some New Life Spectrum pellets. I have pro-gold from Goldfish connection, and keep medi-gold on hand. The spirulina flake is more like a flat pellet. Tetra, tetramin{same thing}..is really not the best food. Some people make a home made gel food.

Edited by waterfaller1

I am switching to the Tetrafin sinking pellets - I will have them soon. Any particular reason for your objection to Tetrafin?

My LPSs have hikari-gold and oranda - I haven't seen the saki, but I will look.

Peas are not to big for them? Are fresh bloodworms ok?

Got some Parasite clear today, and will add it tonight, and I think I will also add salt.

I have been asking for advice about the orange/black in another post, but all I got was "What are your paramaters? You are overstocked!, etc".

Frozen Bloodworms on occasion, frozen peas popped out of their skin, defrosted. Some fresh food is good too. Maybe do some reading on nutrition. I use Hikari Saki in the purple bag, and some sprulina flake from Goldfish connection.I also use a food called Southern D'light, and some New Life Spectrum pellets. I have pro-gold from Goldfish connection, and keep medi-gold on hand. The spirulina flake is more like a flat pellet.

Do you feed all these, and change day to day, or do you go through a package of New Life, then pro-gold, then southern D'light, etc.

Hi! I just wanted to chime in and say Omega One is a high quality sinking pellet. Omega One is readily available at the big box pet store - the one for smart pets.

I feed frozen bloodworms on water change day - before the change! You can change up when you feed things, and veggies can even be in addition to regular feedings.

I read the ingredients list on the fish food. Omega One has fish listed first, whereas many foods have some sort of wheat or cornmeal listed first. That's the kind of thing to look for.

You can pick up a veggie clip at the pet store, too. It's fun to give them different foods and watch them eat them. Mine love blanched zucchini on the clip (what a mess! But so good for them!) and the occasional orange slice is heaven for them! Again, the day before a water change or a few hours before is a good time to feed these foods.

Oranges8911003.jpg

I am switching to the Tetrafin sinking pellets - I will have them soon. Any particular reason for your objection to Tetrafin?

My LPSs have hikari-gold and oranda - I haven't seen the saki, but I will look.

Peas are not to big for them? Are fresh bloodworms ok?

Got some Parasite clear today, and will add it tonight, and I think I will also add salt.

I have been asking for advice about the orange/black in another post, but all I got was "What are your paramaters? You are overstocked!, etc".

So sorry to hear about your fish :(

In regard to your questions above, when you feed peas you will want to fish steam them/boil them (I usually use a little tank water for this), then take off the shell, then you can break off small pieces with your fingers that are small enough for your fish to eat. Frozen blood worms are great!

I have read your other post and understand your concern and anxiety regarding treatment. However, water quality issues caused by overstocking can be a cause of stress/sickness and can be a significant issue when thinking about treatment, so it really was imperative to get those things figured out before treatment advice could be given. I would highly suggest holding off on the Parasite Clear. It is a pretty strong medication that can actually worsen the situation for your fish, particularly if it is not necessary.

I think you are safe to start with some aquarium salt (start with .1% and raise it every 12 hours until it is .3%), but you need to make sure ammonia and nitrites stay at 0ppm when treating with salt, since salt can increase toxicity. As for adding anything else like Parasite Clear, I would highly suggest waiting until you get some input from one of our experienced members like Stakos who was providing you help in your other post :)

I just rotate the foods,but the Hikari saki and sprulina are my staples. Jennie, that is a great idea. Messy food right before the wc!

This is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for" Tetra is a cheap product, with inferior ingredients . Pay a few dollars more, get quality foods, and your fish will thank you for it. They will be much healthier nutritionally, which in turn makes them stronger to fight bacteria, etc.

As for adding anything else like Parasite Clear, I would highly suggest waiting until you get some input from one of our experienced members like Stakos who was providing you help in your other post :)

I haven't heard back from her in a week. I went up to .1 salt last night. PC has prazi in it, and it seems many people on this forum regularly treat new fish with that. I'll hold off though. Maybe someone will post something.

It does have prazi, but it also has some other harsh meds in it. I would definitely go ahead and treat with straight Prazipro instead, it is pretty gentle and can be used prophylactically. I could not find it at my LFS, but ordered it online from amazon. I just worry about the harsher meds because your fish seem so weak right now :( (but I also try to stay away from advising on these things :))