Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Nodder's Tail

When i bought my little nodder I picked him because he was the smallest,most yellowish,with the shortest little tail...and I think all of that makes him special to me ;) But lately as he's been growing I have noticed something strange...I do not think he has two half's to his tail??does that make any sense?? it almost reminds me of kisses (may he r.i.p.) tail...here's a few pic's see if you can see what i see and if you know what it is called please do tell ;)

nctmpphpJU22ng.jpgnctmpphp5fW96W.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

It looks like the two tails are not split, but connected, right? I don't know if there is an actual term for that, if so I do not know it. But Banana and Kupo both have tails like that too, and Wakka's is split only half way.

I personally like the look of this type tail a lot, even though it is against breeding standards, I believe.

Yes fang,two half's but no split...that's it, and I do like it myself ;) just wondering if there's a term for it??

I really have no clue. There probably is some scientific-ish term for it though :rofl

LOL your probably right Fang ;) I thought there was a term for it but be darned if I can find the thread ;)

I am not sure what the term for it is, but I've always called the having fused caudal fins, such as the case in tosakins :)

what is a Nymph???

A nymph is a fantail goldfish with a tail like that of the single tails.

oh ok,so it's just a fused tail then,not any name to it...So then what is tosakins???

Thank you Alex :) fused or not that is a beautiful Tail :) are they hard to come by?I think that tail is even prettier than a butterfly tail ;)

I think Tosakins are definitely the kings and queens of the beautiful finnage. They are actually pretty hard to develop well, and quite difficult to maintain. For that reason, they are pretty rare, although Ed, our sponsor at Goldfish Utopia had some a few months ago. :)

He looks like he has a fused ranchu tail lol! Steve's tail is much thinner and longer. This one looks like Blondie's! :clapping:

yes Fede, that's what i meant by ...it reminds me of kisses tail,like a tail of a ranchu/lionhead,hmmmm

I really have no clue. There probably is some scientific-ish term for it though :rofl

I believe the technical term is "3-pivot tail," as opposed to the "2-pivot tail" of a single tailed fish, and the "4 pivot" fully-divided double tail.

It's also called a tripod tail.

Edited by shakaho

I believe the technical term is "3-pivot tail," as opposed to the "2-pivot tail" of a single tailed fish, and the "4 pivot" fully-divided double tail.

It's also called a tripod tail.

Woman, you never cease to amaze me! :D Thanks a bunch! :)

tripod tail, that sounds cool ;) thanks for the info :)

Thank you! My telescope Nibbles has a fused tail and I was wondering what it was called!

My pearlscale, Pearls, also has a fused tail. I never noticed until I put her in a pond and started viewing her from the top.

I have a telescope which the tail is joined until the middle creating a tripod. People call this deformity "webtail condition", but i call it very special, weird and cute and they actually seem to swim better.

Honestly, i think its coool... especially because of the cute lil' tail and it doesnt really show[the attatched tail sections]..... and its an overall visually pleasing fish(from the top) teehee........ he/she's really cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goodluck with him!

Honestly, i think he/she's really cute but where the tail sections attatch, you can't telll and it kinda heps with swimming...

In My opinion... teehee

Why do I say "teehee" alot?

HELLO!

My first post here....

I cant see the photos for some reason, but from your description Im guessing you have a Wakin goldfish.I have 3 of them, and I think they are beautiful! They are a very hardy fish, and do well in ponds. They grow very large...up to about 18 inches given enough space. They are identifyable by their unique tri-lobed tail as well as having a pair of anal fins instead of just one. They closely resemble the common goldie in body shape, but instead of having a straight topline the spine curves downward towards the tail. Although this curvature makes their swimming look rather odd....almost like "waddling" thru the water instead of gliding smoothly like a common....they are swift swimmers and should not share tankspace with the fancies who are slower swimmers and may not be able to get enough food before the greedy Wakin gobbles it all up.

Their unique bodyshape and finnage looks best when viewed from above, much like the koi, and will get along well in a pond or in a large aquarium until they outgrow the tank. Another quality that makes them excellent pondfish is the way light reflects off of them. Look just above the tail, especially when they are actively swimming. They are quite the little "flashers" and its really amazing to watch.

They are very common in Japan, and the name Wakin translates as "goldfish"

They are said to be rarer and not usually carried in petstores here in the states. If you do happen to find them, they can run $10 and up for a 2 inch fish.

I came upon my first one purely by accident. He was a random tho healthy looking 1 inch baby in a feeder tank! I didnt notice anything until he was maybe 2 inches and his rear end began to curve down. I noticed his trilobe tail about the same time. I started to worry, thinking he had some sort of deformity LOL.... Until I researched a bit.

Then I realized "SCORE"...I paid only 13¢ for him!

Last month I found another one in a feeder tank! This guy is really tiny..maybe 1/2-1 inch long, but he has a really nice flowing tri-tail already. Then two days ago, I spotted one in a tank labeled fantails. I knew right away he was a Wakin because of his long body. Hes dark bronze, not orange like my other two. His fins and tail are dark brown. Really a pretty fish and very unique. Ill post pics soon.

Sorry this post is SO long! I really didnt mean to write a novel here!

Have a great day, All!

wakinonthemove.jpgHeres my largest Wakin...hes about 3-4 inches now