Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

"Buff it Up" question

I just put "Buff it Up" in my tank to keep pH steadier and have found that I need 1 teaspoon per 21 gallons of tank water. I am also not cycled...so I am doing w/c's everyday (50%). If I take out 21 gallons of water a day, do I replace "Buff it Up" at 1 teaspoon...or do I replace 2 teaspoons (amount for full tank)?

Thanks,

Kayla

Are you cycling with fish? Unless absolutely necessary, I would not use the product until cycling is done.

1. a higher pH makes ammonia more toxic, and you will have ammonia during cycling, even with daily water changes

2. with the daily water changes you are going to waste a lot of the product

Other than that, if you use 1 tsp for 21 gallons (let's round it to 20gallons to make it easier), and you change 50% of the water, you need to replace 50% of the BIU. Means during each 50% water change you will have to add half a teaspoon back in.

I think (I could be wrong) even though you are cycling with fish, since your Ph is dropping so fast (not holding between the daily water changes) you should use the BIU (even though you will be using more product than you typically would) the Ph drop is going to be more dangerous I think. Just keep a close eye on your parameters and make sure the ammonia is being kept at 0 :)

Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this.

Edited by tithra

What is your pH in the tank without BIU? And then from your tap? If your tank isn't too far off from the tap then you won't need to use BIU during cycling. But if it is a drastic change, the bb doesn't like it and the cycle will slow.

Hey Fang & Ashlee, the issue with the OP (as I understand it from another thread) is that her tap water pH decreases to 6.6 after one night with aeration. It's a tad low, so I think she needs a little bit of buffer for the tub with fish. As for fish-less cycle, you don't need it use a buffer for now.

It comes out of the tap at 8.3 and within a few hours it drops to 7.3, it really stresses my goldfish out. My tap water has a kh in the 30's and with coral I could only get kh up to 51. With biu I could get kh to 89 and ph to stay steady at 7.8. I think the good bacteria like kh higher than I could get my tank with coral, so it is tough to get a cycle going without biu.

Thanks,

Kayla

I don't think the kH really affects cycle development, and bacteria and live a very wide range of pH. I wouldn't worry about that.

Does anyone else have a problem with the BIU settling in the bottom...I mix it in well, but it still seems to settle in tank. At first I thought it was from the coral...but now I think it is the BIU. I'm worried my fish will eat it.

Thanks,

Kayla

Hey Fang & Ashlee, the issue with the OP (as I understand it from another thread) is that her tap water pH decreases to 6.6 after one night with aeration. It's a tad low, so I think she needs a little bit of buffer for the tub with fish. As for fish-less cycle, you don't need it use a buffer for now.

Gotcha! Yeah, that totally makes sense then, but not during fishless cycle.

As for the settling, I don't know. Is it a fine powder? I use Seachem Gold Buffer, and it is a very fine white powder, like powdered sugar. After mixing it in the tank water I have never seen any obvious setting on the bare glass bottom of the tank or anywhere else :)

I use BUI and have had issues with it settling a bit in the past. When I add it now I first dissolve it in a container of water, then I add that water slowly while I am doing a water change (the running water helps to disperse it better), I haven't had any settling since using this method.